Posts by Bill-P

Yeah... from my perspective as a will-be engineer, high output impedance isn't always bad. A low pass filter can actually be a good thing because it eliminates high frequency noise, ensures there is nothing weird interfering (radio frequencies?), and also smooths out the treble of some headphones, which is actually a good thing in this context. Some people may complain that such an amp design would cause "lack of transparency", but hell, there exists no headphone that is...
 Yeah, so this one is not an "official" meet, but we can make it a "big little" meet.   You're on the list, sir!  Yes! I don't know how I could have missed that. Thank you very much! It's now in the first post.  Hopefully you can make it! I'm too lazy to whip up a balanced cable for my HE-560, and yet I would like to know how it would play out of the speaker terminals of my McIntosh as well. The headphone output doesn't have enough current.  I would guess that you are...
 I think "damping" is taken in the wrong context in this case. An amp may end up having a high output impedance due to a number of reasons, so it is not entirely true that a high output impedance will always cause bad things to happen. For instance, if an amp's topology requires it to have resistors directly at the output of the amplifier stage right before negative feedback to block DC (there are many other ways to block DC, by the way, but this one is the most common),...
 Well, let's hear them. I think you'll also want to check my ES10 out. It's quite fascinating what you can achieve by playing around with a pair of cheaper headphones.
 You probably have a much smaller head than I do. My ears rub off against the edge of the ear pads very regularly so the production ear pads are quite grating... both sonically and physically to me.  Maybe the 560 isn't so picky like the 6, which needs a lot of current (thus power), but I don't think it is so easy to drive that just any random sub-$500 amplifier can drive it to its fullest. So with DAC/Amp, the picking is even thinner. I'm inclined to believe it needs...
 Welcome to the group! Please bring anything you can. It's good to have something that you're familiar with so that you can make comparisons and judge if an upgrade is worth it. Another side of the game is basically... there are cheap headphones that sound surprisingly good. They can easily rival some of the far more expensive options. One of my friends might join us with his Denon D950, which is one such rarity.  Oh great! Allow me to rope that Sony MDR-R1 Mk.II into the...
 Surely not with comfort? I can't imagine those edges along the ear pads doing anyone any good.  I can agree sonic preferences would divide people here as different gears would act differently with the HE-560, though. I thought orthos shouldn't change so much with amping as I never found Audeze headphones and previous Hifiman headphones so dependent on gears. But the HE-560 is just so picky with regards to source components.
 I think we can shoot for end of September. It gives people some time to get their schedules in order, and also it avoids the upcoming October fests. And that's good news! You'll get my HE-560 to compare as well. If you end up liking the HE-400, maybe you'll like the HE-560 as well.  Glad you can join us! I think you'll find that newer doesn't necessarily mean better. For instance, my vintage receiver, the McIntosh MAC 4100, is still one of the best headphone amplifiers I...
 It is a no brainer because not only does it offer more comfort, it also offers sonic improvements in some areas. Plus the damage for obtaining a pair is less than 5% the cost of a new or used HE-560...
 If it's stock Schiit Lyr 2, then... you can still get better sound. So... I'd try different tubes myself.