Posts by Bill-P

If the headphone was rosewood-colored with champagne accents on the chrome parts, with brown ear pads, it'll be killer.
Well, the new ear cups were made to be deeper, but not necessarily more roomy since... like you said, the sides are thicker.   The cups have to be thicker, otherwise they would not be very durable.   If you're getting new cups made, I think you will have to make sure the cups have openings for the bass ports. The stock cups are thin enough that they don't block the bass ports, but thicker wood cups would end up doing so, and most of the bass, as well as the smoothness,...
I measured the rough frequency response with my iPhone's microphone for fun... (please ignore anything below 100Hz because that's a limitation with the iPhone's microphone)     But what this indicates, essentially, is what I've suspected all along: the natural frequency response of the XB950BT really isn't all that bassy. It has a midrange bump, so technically, it should be more midrange, less bass, and almost non-existent treble after everything is cleaned...
Yeah. Interesting, right? And I was able to get my modded ES10 closer to the XC after seeing those measurements. Will see if they sound anything like the XC now whenever I have a chance to compare the 2.
Well, I'm hoping Hifiman will have the HE-1000 at CanJam this March to demo.   And I'm hoping it will have a frequency response flatter than this:         Edit: ignore sub bass. It's the iPhone's microphone's limits, so it can't pick up anything worth mentioning down there. Goes to prove that that region is mostly "felt" rather than "heard".
Fun fact that I just noticed:   Frequency response of ATH-ES10 as measured by doctorhead.ru:     Frequency response of my ATH-ES10 as measured by Tyll at Innerfidelity (shows possibly more bass than mid compared to stock):       Frequency response of Audeze LCD-XC as measured by Tyll at Innerfidelity:   Hm... 
Well, if you ever see it at a meet or trade show, it's worth a try.    Granted, though, I didn't like Ragnarok all that much. Probably a bit too... straight forward, and it has a bit of a lower mid and upper mid emphasis. Lower mid was to my liking, but upper mid could be too much sometimes.   It's too bad that some artists resort to "shouting" in their recordings. 
All I know is it's military-grade, and multibit. Essentially, that means... nothing else on the market, either current or in the past, actually uses the same thing. But it does sound like it's using something that's far more "accurate" than anything else on the market. The PWD II, renowned for its detail retrieval, was still second to the Yggdrasil.
Rumored to be north of $2K. 
 I think my taste has changed quite a bit since the last time I met you. I was pretty fixated on better clarity and more transparency back then, but now I'm all for a sound that's smooth, clean, clear, and relaxing. My current headphone (the HE-560) has been modded to have more bass than the LCD-3, and just a smidge more air. Otherwise, it's essentially an LCD-3 with less weight... or SR-007 Mk.1 with lot more bass.  I think the next time you meet me and listen to my gears...