Posts by Bill-P

So PriceJapan said they got my order in and will ship it out in a few hours. And I almost canceled and tried to go with Amazon, but ah well, seeing as I paid and all... (refund on Paypal would then take an additional few days to go back to my bank, and only then can I place an order with Amazon) So hopefully, I'll have mine in next week, and if nothing goes wrong, will compare extensively against the HE-560. Who knows, I have a thin and fast amp here that may just make...
Glad you like it!    I came up with all of this after a whole year of experimenting, failing, and experimenting again with the ES10.   Owning the ES10, I realized it was just the perfect statement headphone for me... since:   1) It's not hard to drive at all, and pretty much anything can make them it loud enough 2) It's a super portable headphone with massive drivers, the only one of its kind IMO 3) The tuning was close to ideal already. It just needed the extra...
Removing the top piece of dynamat (the one in the top quarter) or alternatively, cutting a strip of felt in the same shape and covering the top quarter with it (still leaving the dynamat in) should do the trick.   I feared the cable might have made a difference... so the mod had to be performed on a stock pair. But you can definitely play around with the dampening and get very interesting results.   For instance, if you'd like to color the midrange, you can try...
 Oh, never say never (to more body in the mids)!  That and we are on the topic of "dancing"... and EDM...
Well, hm, so now I'm curious, how does this song sound like on the Z7?     On my reference rig, the one bass note is full, strong, authoritative, the clap resonates to infinity, and the overall mood is very laid back.
 I would agree with that. I'm glad it's not as piercing as the HE-6 and HE-500 to my ears when not driven out of the speaker taps...  I think the wood would mess with the tonality... if slightly, since planar magnetic headphones are very sensitive to acoustic dampening. Maybe that's why the production version switched to veneer... and then people reported "more body" with the Focus Pads, whereas in my case, the Focus Pads A gives even more body, and somehow makes the...
 Yeah. According to purrin, who measured the HE-4, it seems the HE-4 is quite a resolving headphone, though for some reason, it has less body and bass impact than the HE-400/500. The HE-560 is amongst the same vein, but I think it manages to keep the body of the HE-500, decreases the strident treble, and also retain a bit of the bass impact, but improves upon overall definition and extension. Also the 560 portrays a much bigger soundstage than the 500 to my ears.
 It's probably the narrow soundstage. But outside of that, I think it has good bass if nothing else.  Heft and weight be damned. But to be honest, that's why I have a HE-560 now and not an LCD-2. Aside from the HE-560 having more clarity, it's also a lot more comfortable. Now to be honest again... I heard the pre-production, prototype LCD-XC. And then I heard a production version again when I went overseas this past summer. Something was off indeed. The prototype sounded...
 My original purpose was to compare the HE-560 to the HE-6, and Tyll's data are just more consistent than purrin's, since purrin changed his setup right around the time he measured the HE-560. So comparing purrin's measurements of the HE-560 and HE-6 wouldn't be reliable. If anything, it would just highlight even more how the HE-6 is V-shaped and the HE-560 isn't. I only pulled purrin's measurements of my ES10 out for some perspective since nobody else measured them. Maybe...
 The veneer doesn't look half bad IMO. But yeah, I'd like a pre-production unit myself. Though I suspect the wood causes the sound to be "thinner" compared to plastic, so that would be a bit far away from my projection. My preference is a thick, full headphone that's open, clean, clear, with good soundstaging, and strong bass that extends down to 0, but without protruding into the midrange. I'd almost think that he would have grabbed an LCD-XC and called it a day. I don't...