Posts by Bill-P

Well, though I swore off discussing problems...   ...so I PMed you some details and my thoughts on them, Hekeli.     If I see Hifiman at CanJam this March (or better yet, Dr. Fang Bian himself), I'll make sure to let him know what I think.   But for now, I think this thread has seen enough of these analysis.
 Well, I reverted mine back to pure stock yesterday. I enjoyed the mod, but I need stock to complete my DIY amp. After that, I'll attempt some very extreme mods... including pushing the diaphragm baffle further away from the plastic baffle (the one you can see when you remove the ear pads) to see if that won't fix the "fluffy" bass response when the headphones don't achieve a good seal. But I've just gotta complete my DIY amp first. In time for March hopefully.  Well,...
Yeah, I agree.   With the HE-560, it's the first time I have noticed the very subtle (but noticeable) differences between DACs. With many headphones I have heard before, I could never hear those things.   So on top of being very close to neutral, it's also very transparent.   And I think that's why I have nitpicked its design and sound so much. When something is so close to being perfect, and I know it's just missing that extra 5%, I can't help but keep pushing it.
Oh, cool! Are you attending CanJam in March?   I'd love to see if my design would stand up to that one. I'm going more "old school" with through-hole components from yester-years, but I'm loving the liquidity of the sound that these components make.
Well, if you're already satisfied, I'd say... don't go for it.   And... if you're already satisfied, don't mod.   Just take it for what it is. Enjoy, and forget.   Modding does improve some aspects, but I think it trades off some others as well, and you may not like the end result. Plus it may be unbalanced for even the smallest things.   That's why I reverted my pair back to stock. Too many variables to account for when it's modded.   Like money said, spend...
Ah, okay. No wonder I like it more than the one on the left. The one on the left sounds like it boosts treble a bit too much, and attenuates everything else by a lot. The one on the right really does exactly what you described would happen: no sibilance, more bass. So glad to know I'm on the right page now. 
2 different liners. Notice the lighter one has smaller holes and a slightly different shape. The sound is different as well. I think I like the lighter one better. But it's hard to tell. pauldgroot, I'll be cool with sending them free of charge, of course. Please consider the measurements to come (if you'd like to do that) as my compensation. 
Well, given that that's the general reaction, I guess I won't post any photo or do any extra write-up on that anymore.   Anyone who has had the issue, and would like to discuss it, please feel free to PM me, but beyond that, I'll just make note of this and refrain from discussing problems moving forward.   Sometimes, ignorance is truly bliss.     And in case anyone is wondering, I've reverted all mods done to my HE-560 and put it back to complete stock, but just...
Well, that wasn't my intention. I simply wanted to investigate all of the things that have been reported. And including some things that I'm hearing on my end. And I thought those who are experiencing these issues may see some light in what I'm reporting. To me, the HE-560 is the best headphone I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Bar none. But it does have its problems that then need modifications from the original design to fix. And as much as I love the...
Yeah, I know... every single time.   I'll admit that there are a lot of snake oil in the industry, but it seems to have made people really wary of just about... anything.   Sometimes it makes me wonder if people are in the hobby for the same reasons anymore.   For me, it's personal satisfaction and a learning process. Opening up the HE-560, modding it, and working with an amp that would drive it, etc... allow me to reach closer to my ideal audio setup, and at the...