Posts by Bill-P

Yeah, comfort is a big issue with these headphones. I could never see myself owning an ortho... until I put the HE-560 on my head this summer. Its tuning was close to my preference with a dark amp, but the selling point for me was comfort. I could wear it for hours, and even an entire day (as I just did today) without much fatigue. It's much better than its older siblings on that front. The sound needed some mild tuning before it was great, but now I can consider it...
 Oh yeah! Man, maybe I should follow you more closely for more awesome music! I just heard a sample of the song on iTunes, and you betcha I ordered the album immediately after the first 5 seconds!
 Well, I'm seeing folks who are accustomed to high-end planar magnetics like HE-500/HE-560/HE-6 not liking them a lot. There are some exceptions, but I'm seeing more folks who have heard those other cans nitpicking the Z7 for its sound. In contrast, some folks who are coming from lower-end cans are praising the Z7 to no end (I mean, you can look at some of their profiles to get an idea of what else they have). And personally, I see nothing wrong with that. It would be nice...
 Well, you have to take into account the fact that he also heard other headphones like the HE-400i, HE-560, etc... around the same time he heard the Z7. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, DoctaCosmos) And all of those cans reproduce bass with very low distortion, so it is very easy to hear "one-note bass" with pretty much anything else. It's all about perspective here. I'm seeing a trend... where folks who haven't scaled to higher cans (or heard them) would praise...
  You gents may want to consider BTG cable:http://btg-audio.com/ The asking price is more than fair in my opinions. I like the sheathing a lot... because it's soft, light, and very well-done. Compared to the stock cable, this one... doesn't sound very different. There is just a slight hint of reduction of upper midrange congestion, but it could just be my imagination. I could somewhat detect a 0.5dB rise at 8-9KHz, but I honestly can't tell much of a difference between...
My impressions are up for a full Jerg mod on the HE-560 >here<   TLDR version: I agree with TMRaven. Pretty much improved everything, nice decay, although there is also a slightly noticeable loss of lower midrange warmth. But there is a fix for that.   I think... the HE-560 is just perfectly where and how I want it to be now. It's like I'm peeling layers off of my music collection.   The effect is audible even with heavily compressed music on Youtube, too, so it's...
I saw some shelf-lining materials today while browsing for better meshes for the grill mod at the hardware store, and I thought... well, why not?   So I attempted to do the rest of the mods and see if the shelving would make any improvement.   Luckily, Hifiman let me keep my old Focus Pads, so I had 2 pairs, and I sacrificed one pair for the purpose of the mod.   My impressions are as follow:   Bass: there is... more there. I think this quantity is as a result of...
Oh, cool.   What did you hear it with? Amp/DAC, I mean...   And was the headphone modded or stock?
I'd guess that the Audeze travel case would fit this one to a tee, and be able to fit much more, and also protect this against an explosion of some sort. Though it'll probably be more than $20.   Personally, I don't travel often enough to warrant a specific case for the HE-560. But I do have some spare old wood camera cases that I purchased off of eBay that I used to store the W1000...
Glad to see Mike is on board.   Sorry to hear about Harry, Mike. I can only imagine how it would be to lose a mentor.   From what I can see, though, your mentor does have some good taste. Perhaps that's why his student has such good taste!   I'm still rocking the Caribou remix of Radiohead's Little By Little as a definitive bass test song to this day.   Talking about which, I'm scaling my setup this year, so I hope it'll be an interesting listen to you.