Posts by Bill-P

1) Not true. Fazor is not "much larger". It's at most about twice the sectional area of the wire (and it's also made of some metal alloy, much the same as the wire). Have you actually tried to open the back of your HE-560 up? 2) Fazors are attached directly to the driver baffle,  yes, but they are still some distance away from the diaphragm (the membrane that's vibrating), which makes sense because the membrane needs room to move. Either way, their effect is tried and...
Sorry, I still haven't been able to settle down and do a detailed mod guide, but I think you already figured most of it out.Probably the last step you'll want to take, I think, is to employ a piece of foam like so:That's it. It'll allow bass to get that last percentile of tightness, IMO. And then it should sound like a more neutral headphone. But please be aware that this will also expose the sub bass deficiency of the original design. Engaging bass boost will now actually...
 Well, just to note... I'm not sure if Purrin tried to move the wires back when he reverted your modded pair for measurements. If he didn't, it might still be there. The difference is noticeable for me, and I think more likely because my sources are generally darker -> any rise would become noticeable since the whole sound is darker.  Oh yeah, I remember now. Those measurements were yours, right? Thanks again for doing that. At least it confirmed I wasn't going...
 Eh, I made a big fuss about it, and got fragged a lot. Then someone made measurements on his HE-560 (I'm too lazy to go back and find them, but they're some pages back), and found that moving the wire out of the way consistently produced a rise of 0.5dB around 8-9.5KHz on his measurements. Anyway, the effect to me is still very audible. It causes the treble to get sharper, and adding the HE-560's natural "decay" (you can see this on CSD plots from a certain website), and...
 Yep. Stock XB950 lacks a lot in clarity. Modded XB950 is a lot better in this regard. Sparkly but not too fatiguing. It's still not on the same level as my HE-560, but at least I don't get weirded out by the tonality of the headphone every time I switch over... I compared my pair to my brother's stock pair. Gonna give him my pair and take his pair to mod. It's like listening to 2 different headphones.  There's just one step in my mod that "tunes" the bass, and I'm not...
 I'll have time to post some photos this weekend. It's just that I'm too hammered during last week (thanksgiving) to do that. But I'll drop you a hint: you can disassemble that plastic enclosure, and dampening the inside of that thing gives the biggest change in sound, as you suspected.
I think it needs to be said that amp/DAC will play a huge role in here.   Again, if you pair the HE-560 with a smooth amp/DAC combo, it'll sound smooth, not harsh, and still bright/sparkly.   And that is how I'm using my HE-560 with pop music. It makes the Beatles sound soothing, which is really hard because Beatles recordings are usually bright/shouty and fairly hot in general.
Have you tried this type of liner, Jerg?   I think I like the sound from this one better the square ones.  
 Yep. But given its sound signature (smooth, slightly warm, full, and impactful), I wouldn't use it for highly technical music, so hi-res is a bit of waste. It's perfectly happy at 44.1 and 48. I just think it's a very good value at the $200 I spent ($150 on DAC and $50 on replacement op amps). Much better than the Gamma2 for sure, and it does do wonders to fix the treble issue of the HE-560. My Neko DAC still handily beats it at technicality (it makes my HE-560 sound...
 Well, it's digital audio. Jitter in the digital domain may be interfering with the music and causing 0's to appear where 1's should be, and vice versa. Essentially altering the signal that the DAC receives. Even the infamous author of the O2 couldn't refute jitter. It exists, and it is inherent within any audio system. Whether it is audible is an entirely different matter, but depending on its amplitude and where it is present, it can definitely alter the sound signal and...