Posts by Bill-P

The HD800 is fully open, and except for the slight acoustical congestion in the front of the driver where the enclosure makes a seal with your ears (and thus "close" the space), it's fairly clean because it's not being augmented by reflected waves, as opposed to most closed headphones. I actually find Tyll's measurements looking better than the others. His square wave measurements indicate a slightly boomy headphone, with thin sound, and somewhat rolled off bass but not...
Well, more power rating would be for overhead more so than anything else, but it's good insurance for high dynamic range.   Plus in practice, electrical components rarely perform well with hard loads that push them to clipping points, so if you try to do so, you'll start introducing distortion and noise into the signal. That's why it's good to have overhead so that no matter how loud you listen, you know you're not stressing your amp.   And in my experience, giving the...
 Well, I agree. Another revision to fix what I think may just be an anomaly is absurd. The last HE-560 I had was definitely more rigid, but the sound wasn't to my liking at all. This one sounds so good that the head band doesn't bother me at all.  Congrats, good sir! And yeah, I'm happy with my HE-560 even with a broken head band. It's a special headphone.
 I don't think my head is particularly big or wide. I mean... you can just see it from my display picture. On another note... I was able to snap the other two pieces by... bending them a bit more upward compared to how I had them in the earlier photos:    So... it is somewhat easy to snap the headband, actually. I'm thinking... this head band wasn't made to be adjustable like head bands from other headphones. I remember the DT880 and my Audio Technica headphones being much...
No, I haven't tried to bend it that hard.   In fact, I don't think I was strong enough to even bend it to a point where it would break, and even if that was the case, shouldn't both of them break instead of just one?   It's weird indeed, but at this point, I'm good enough with the sound that I would be okay with the headband as it is. Plus it is quite a bit more comfortable than stock...   ----   Edit: I've just asked Hifiman Customer Service to see if I can...
 Sure. Here you go. Sorry, phone quality so I had to change it to black and white:  
Well, I'd agree. There is a difference between DACs. Heck, I'm willing to bet that if I can use my HE-560 setup and compare the Neko DAC against the Gamma2, I'd be able to pick them out in a blind test 100/100.   The differences are definitely not subtle. The DACs sound obviously different.   The stock HE-560 sound is now pure perfection and musicality now. The synergy of the whole system is such that I'd happily call it quits now with my upgrade path.   ----   On...
End-game DAC:     Honestly, I thought the AMB Gamma2 sounded quite good... but the Neko... there is just no comparison. In fact, I'll even avoid making a comparison.   Now I'm even more convinced the HE-560 will benefit greatly from a dark DAC and amp chain to compliment its slightly bright sound.
Thanks, Jason!   Here's what I'll bring:   Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-ES10 (modded) Audio Technica ATH-EC7 Hifiman HE-560 (completely stock with aftermarket cable)   Amplifiers: McIntosh MAC 4100 vintage receiver My DIY amp   DAC: AMB Gamma2 full++ configuration with external power adapter Fiio D3 (1st gen. w/ Wolfson WM8805 receiver) Neko Audio D100 Mk.II   Misc: Glass optical toslink cable USB to optical toslink converter (not a good transport but...
Yeah, I'm finding that a bit weird that you haven't mentioned it, since I was sure you have the Pan Am. Have you tried the Pan Am with the Z7 yet?