or Connect

Posts by Bill-P

1) I have repeatedly asked you to show me where in the article they mentioned EQ or equalization. You have not shown me that. In fact, the article itself was explicitly a case study about HRTF, which, again, for the umphteenth time, is NOT EQ. It's DSP. EQ is a part of DSP, but DSP is so much more than just EQ. 2) Your example showed less decay, but NOT overcoming physical limitations. Again, please note that you could NOT alter the way the transducer reproduced an impulse...
Sigh... I decided not to answer you after all of that because I already know where the discussion will head. All you showed is that your EQ made decay shorter at certain frequencies, but that's not all there is to it. If you look closely at the initial frequency response wall (time 0), the frequency curve is still not perfect. That's what I meant by "not overcoming physical limitations".
It's 1 conductor per pole on each side, so a total of 4 conductors. According to Martin, it's 24 awg copper.   Whether the difference in sound is due to the cable or the ear cups, I honestly have no idea. But the physicist in me would tend toward the ear cups more so than the cable.   I got the cable because the stock cable is flimsy, and it feels very cheap. The new cable is at least more durable, and it fits in well with the cups as well.
I'm thinking $550.   It won't exactly be cheap, but I'm quite confident and proud of the quality of the headphone that I believe whoever's getting it won't regret spending that much.
That's my pair. I had the ear cups and plug custom-made by Martin at Martin's Custom Audio.   He's swarmed now, though, so I don't think he'll have time to finish a similar project for the next few months.   Plus I have since moved on to other headphones, so I may put that one up for sale if anyone is interested. It may not compare to my orthos, but it's still the best on-ear headphone in existence IMO.
I wasn't aware the Modi had an issue? That's interesting... Either way, I'm sure you can slot the Schiit Wyrd in there to mitigate any possible USB issue. Plus it's recommended because the Wyrd does have an improvement on power supply quality to the DAC, unless you're going Modi 2 Uber (which uses external power), but I think the Uber version won't run into the same USB power issue with Haswell chips.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium. Or so I think.
Well, I never bought into high-end headphones myself. Heard the HD800 many times through many systems, trying to find that "large, impossibly big" soundstage, and could never hear it. Instead, I heard a lot of treble and some stridency/sibilance. So I thought people were just crazy. Then I heard the Abyss, and I wished it was more... euphonic. And then I heard the HE-560. Now I have built a headphone system that when I put on, I honestly can't tell about 90% of the time...
Well, the mid-bass bump is... actually not so much a mid-bass bump. Notice how it's centered around 300Hz or so. That's more a lower-mid bump. And also if you'd pay attention to the scale, low bass is -10dB down from that bump, which... is kind of not the definition of "basshead" per se. More sub bass being perceived as "better" is actually a very natural reaction. This follows the Fletcher-Munson curve pretty well:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves So......
ODAC or Schiit Modi 2 (non-uber) seems to be what you're looking for.   I think Modi 2 might be a better fit based on early impressions, but I could be wrong.   And even if you listen to Youtube, a DAC still makes some differences... provided your headphone and amp can render those differences, that is. From memories, I do recall the DT770 being able to do that with certain amps, though I'm not sure about the Fiio E12...   If you end up not being able to hear a...