Posts by Bill-P

Do Step 1 of Jerg mod. It'll improve soundstage width and depth even more so than the grill mod. Skip Step 2 if you don't want to lose midrange warmth and body. But yeah, I think there is some change with the HE-560 either to the metal ring or some other changes that we may not be aware of. I mean... the metal ring has been around for a long time, but people didn't notice until it was brought up way later.  Crack doesn't have the current output, so at higher volumes, it...
Well, you will find that old men will still groan until they get the Stax SR-009 coupled with the Blue Hawaii... ...or the JPS Labs Abyss coupled with Cavalli Liquid Gold... Beyond that, I consider myself quite young, and I work so I can afford an HD800 rig without much issue, but I still find that I'd enjoy something that's far less bright than the HD800 on a regular basis. It's more about the tuning, I think.
 Well, over the summer, I heard 2 rigs... Beyerdynamic T1Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball w/ tube upgrade w/ other modsAudio GD-NFB7 as DAC That setup was the best I have ever heard of any T1. Ever. Sibilance was very rarely an issue. In fact, that T1 could hardly be described as "bright". And that's something coming from me, because I'm the first guy to kick and scream about a 0.5dB rise at 8-10KHz. Though... having said that, the HE-560 was the one that I decided to hunt...
Well, please ignore my headband problem. I think it was a sour apple. It did come directly from China fresh off the assembly line, I think. I don't recall the last HE-560 pair I had (the one this one replaced) was that brittle, and that last pair I did try to bend. This pair came and felt so comfortable for some reason... so I didn't want to bend.   And beyond that, the headphone has been holding strong together despite the headband problem. I have had literally more...
Brightness will work out once you have a dark DAC and dark amp combo to balance it out.   Also the re-grilling mod helps a bit with bass impact and more air/separation still.
Just grab a pair, listen to it and forget it. I'm the guy with the broken headband. But I haven't even bothered to replace it. Too much of a hassle, and not enough incentive for me to even try since the headphone is now far more comfortable. And no, the rattling doesn't occur at high volumes with movies for me. I measured 98dB yesterday with a super tight fit on one of my friends who had some hearing loss after coming back from the army, and there was no rattle audible...
Well, planar would just mean impedance is flat, so the output is less "equalized" by interaction of an impedance swing versus output impedance. Being as flat as they are, planar would still be affected by damping factor... as much as anything else. I think this article can explain more and better than I can since it has graphs and measurements:http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance One may argue that the extra ringing (or lack...
I think one possible reason for there being no successor yet would be tuning.   The HE-560 is abso-friggin-lutely brilliant in tuning even at stock. It is very close to the HE-6, but yet it's more relaxed, and more even.   So Hifiman would need to come out with a headphone that sounds clearly better, and I honestly can't even imagine how such a headphone will sound like.
 I think the HE-560 will fit the bill. If anything, I think you might just miss the bass extension of the LCD-2, but then I think modding your HE-560 will fix that.
Well, some low bass contents that I have tested through the HE-560 "sound" distorted, even though my HE-560 doesn't distort at that level. So I looked at them on a spectrometer, and... low and behold. There was that distortion that's embedded within the track itself. I think a part of it is that sometimes, when the tracks are mixed with gears not as technical as a planar magnetic headphone, then there is a chance there will be distortion that doesn't show up on lower-end...