Posts by Bill-P

I'd agree with this... Having spent a whole year tuning my ATH-ES10 to sound nice, I don't think a lot of people realize how nice it would be to have a self-contained driver unit that sort of protects against clumsy hands and careless mods. That's one of the reasons I am shying away from doing grill mod to my HE-560, and instead... I'm opting to build an amplifier instead. Talking about which, a testament to how balanced and neutral the stock HE-560 is... is that in the...
 Well, it'll be a full build. So for roughly around $200 (hopefully less if I can find replacement components for cheaper!), you get something like a souped up O2 but without the battery compartment... because I'm leaving room for sound quality improvements... and expensive components. I'm planning for it to have enough power to drive pretty much everything in existence... except for the Abyss AB1266 and Hifiman HE-6. That it has nice synergy with the DT880 even though I...
 Aw, well... I hope you guys can make it to the next meet!  Okay. That's great! I wanted to see how the HD800 will play out of my amp as well... So some additions, guys: I mentioned the Fostex HP-P1, and I'll also be bringing a Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600 Ohm to the meet.
I actually obtained them because a friend of mine was interested, and I had to jump the gun for him. (Sorry!)But then... I just had to listen.Man, it truly is the best DT880 I have heard... to date!It's like the embodiment of all of the cliche'd 880 reviews like...Strong bass, present mids, smooth highs, expansive soundstage, etc...When I first heard the HE-560, I liked how balanced the sound was, and that's why I got it over the LCD-XC, which was the other ortho on my...
 Well, I wouldn't say I'm an experienced reviewer or anything close to that, but what I'm hearing is simply... impressive. Okay, so here's the issue... Out of the Schiit Lyr 2 (stock), the Beyer DT880 Pro 250 Ohm that I heard was brighter than my Hifiman HE-560 with Focus Pads. No question. Many others at that meet also expressed the same opinion, that the DT880 Pro 250 was brighter than the HE-560. Also soundstage was comparably smaller. Now, I'm in the comfort of my...
So... after a full cycle, I'm back with a DT880 600 Ohm in my possession.    Thoroughly enjoying it. I think it's the best DT880 I have heard to date. I just heard a 250 Ohm Pro one a little more than a week ago, and I can't say I was terribly impressed. But this one thoroughly impresses me.   A brief comparison to my HE-560 shows that the DT880 isn't really that far behind. I get about 80-90% of the HE-560's sound with the DT880, and the DT880 is just about 1/6 or 1/7...
The "many amps" part may be misleading. Just a few years ago, that problem was plaguing one of Schiit Audio's products, and one guy made such a big fuss out of it...   Some portable amps, such as the Cmoy or AMB Mini3, don't have such a thing (AFAIK), for instance. And it can still potentially be a problem with these portable amps. That's why certain implementations use a volume knob that also doubles as a power-on switch. It's both a safety mechanism and a...
I'm not sure what you are trying to say there...   It is not safe to leave your headphone plugged in to any amplifier as it's being turned on because during the process of power-up, the amp may send a DC signal through the amplification stage that may exceed the power handling capability of a headphone and cause bad things to happen. Read: you'll damage your headphone.   Same reason why some people reduce volume to 0 before plugging in a headphone, because if the gain...
  Oh, I think the HE-560 is very clinical. With the HE-560, I have been able to notice "gaps" or "grains" with my amps that I have never noticed before. Amps that I have considered perfectly fluid are showing problems such as high frequency peaks (sibilance), midrange grain, shouty treble, etc... And it doesn't have anything to do with distortion due to clipping either, because my DIY amp, which should have enough current to handle the HE-560, has exhibited the same...
No, Pan Am uses a hybrid topology, so it isn't OTL. OTL means you take the output directly from the tube amplifying stage. Hybrid means you put another solid-state buffering/amplifying stage between the output of the tube and the headphone.   But hybrid can theoretically be good enough if the hybrid buffering stage is transparent enough, so you shouldn't be concerned about it.   This whole OTL/non-OTL thing started because people thought the less components you have in...