Posts by Bill-P

But LCD-XC is $1799... http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-xc Even if you get it used, I don't think it'll quite reach $1000. Fostex TH900 is definitely cheaper by a good margin. Heck, you can even get a Denon D7000 that would sound almost (99%) like the TH900 for $700-$800. In its defense, I must admit the LCD-XC is a very nice headphone. It images very well, and it has a very black background. I almost wanted to replicate its imaging capabilities while...
ESW10s sound exactly like my ES10. They are somewhat brighter than the ESW9.   And limited edition earsuit headphones don't cost a lot. It's too bad Audio Technica isn't looking to refresh the line as aggressively as they should. They released the ES700, and the ESW11, and that's it as far as I know.
Yeah, I decided to keep the ES10. I tried to replicate what Audio Technica did to the W1000 on the ES10 with good success. It causes soundstage and depth to improve more than what it was before, though the W1000 still has amazing imaging for some reason (I bet it's just the drivers' tuning).   As for the "mature" comment, I didn't mean that the ESW9 was more mature than the ES10... or that any sound signature is better than the other.   I mean... instead of making the...
 I was even thinking of making a wood enclosure for it to make it look nicer. I may end up keeping this pair for all of eternity because it sounds very very nice, and I'm using it almost exclusively for when I don't need the portability of the ES10. I had a chance to compare it to a stock limited edition DT770 a few days ago (as in the previous Sunday), and my pair is a lot less sibilant, and also sounds a lot more open. It would be interesting to compare this to a DT880...
 Haha, if there is any headphone that I modded the crap out of, it's probably the DT770... The ES10 had some cosmetic makeovers if nothing else. The mods I did to it are not too complicated. The DT770, on the other hand... man, it's modded to death and back. I have tried so many things. I tried so many that I even forgot to update the modding diary (it's in my signature). The latest mod uses a thin metal mesh in place of the filter felt... because putting anything between...
You mean me?   Well, as I have done more mods to other headphones, I have found that with the right combination of dampening materials to dampen reflections from the ear cups, pretty much any closed-back headphone can be made to have large expansive soundstage, so both width and depth can be improved upon.   I guess manufacturers have to cut down on cost of production, so they opted for simple dampening techniques instead of going for much more intricate ones that...
I think you'll find the W1000X to be a sizable improvement over the AD700, and it'll also be a different flavor compared to the T1.   You may end up liking the W1000X more for vocal-related music, I think.
 Oh no, by "mod", I really mean... "do more than Purrin's mod". I think the W1000X can potentially sound very good once it has been modded right. I was tempted to pick up another pair and turn it into a W3000ANV... but then I heard the W1000, and I was blown away. Personally... I think the W1000 is the best Audio Technica headphone I have heard. Bar none. It might well be the best midrange-head headphone I have heard as well. And now I'm left figuring out how to add bass...
The Alpha Dog is more like a side-grade to the W1000X than an "upgrade".   Of the many headphones that I have owned and listened to, very few may actually be considered an upgrade to the W1000X. Especially if you mod the W1000X, I'm quite certain there are not a lot of headphones that can beat it. Even including the famed W3000ANV.   On the other hand, I think the original W1000 (non-X) can handily beat the W1000X where midrange and treble are concerned. Too bad it...
I don't think many have realizde it but at stock, the ES10 doesn't have much sub-bass at all. What you're hearing is just the pressure of mid bass impact. Play something with nothing but sub bass (classical?), and you'll find that the ES10 becomes a bit thin and quite veiled since lower treble and bass at stock are pushed forward quite a bit. Or more like midrange is pushed far back. The ES10 is capable of very detailed and smooth midrange once you take away Audio...