Posts by Bill-P

My impressions are up for a full Jerg mod on the HE-560 >here<   TLDR version: I agree with TMRaven. Pretty much improved everything, nice decay, although there is also a slightly noticeable loss of lower midrange warmth. But there is a fix for that.   I think... the HE-560 is just perfectly where and how I want it to be now. It's like I'm peeling layers off of my music collection.   The effect is audible even with heavily compressed music on Youtube, too, so it's...
I saw some shelf-lining materials today while browsing for better meshes for the grill mod at the hardware store, and I thought... well, why not?   So I attempted to do the rest of the mods and see if the shelving would make any improvement.   Luckily, Hifiman let me keep my old Focus Pads, so I had 2 pairs, and I sacrificed one pair for the purpose of the mod.   My impressions are as follow:   Bass: there is... more there. I think this quantity is as a result of...
Oh, cool.   What did you hear it with? Amp/DAC, I mean...   And was the headphone modded or stock?
I'd guess that the Audeze travel case would fit this one to a tee, and be able to fit much more, and also protect this against an explosion of some sort. Though it'll probably be more than $20.   Personally, I don't travel often enough to warrant a specific case for the HE-560. But I do have some spare old wood camera cases that I purchased off of eBay that I used to store the W1000...
Glad to see Mike is on board.   Sorry to hear about Harry, Mike. I can only imagine how it would be to lose a mentor.   From what I can see, though, your mentor does have some good taste. Perhaps that's why his student has such good taste!   I'm still rocking the Caribou remix of Radiohead's Little By Little as a definitive bass test song to this day.   Talking about which, I'm scaling my setup this year, so I hope it'll be an interesting listen to you.
 Well, you're right, sir. It's not a contest after all. My bad...  And either way, it was good to know that my overestimation also allowed my amp to drive the HE-6. It was beyond "getting loud", but I'll just leave it at that. This thread has seen enough of technical details for the last few days. Now I'd like to get back to music, and perhaps attempt to do the rest of Jerg's mods on my HE-560 to see what it's all about.  
Oh, no, don't get me wrong.   I'd push sound quality any time.   I guess... it's just that my music library already contains most of what I listen to a lot daily, so in the end, it's harder for me to justify rebuilding the same thing on a streaming service, because I looked at Tidal already, and though it does contain some tracks that I don't own, and that I like, those are few and far between. And then there were stuffs in my library that I don't see on Tidal.   For...
I'd think having less low bass and more upper bass would mean bass drowns out midrange and invade into lower midrange more.   The merit of having low bass and less mid bass has much less to do with bassheads, and much more to do with attempting to represent a proper rendition of the performance in my opinions, and typically, I have found myself to prefer headphones with more even bass frequencies (Audeze, Hifiman) than those with bass that doesn't hit low but bleeds...
 Well, like TMRaven said, the HE-560 is markedly harder to drive than the HE-500. If Tyll's data is anything to go by, it's right in between the HE-500 and HE-5LE, which is not trivial at all. Saying "any amp with decent gain can get any of these headphones to really loud levels" is grossly over-simplifying things in my opinions.  Well, the thing is, I only use online streaming for discovery of new music, not as my primary means of listening. So quality isn't too terribly...
I'd agree that older Hifiman headphones may end up being harder to drive than the HE-560, but it has been my experience, with both the first HE-560 and the one that replaced it, that the HE-500 is noticeably easier to drive, and the HE-560 is just a small bit behind the HE-6 on the volume knob in terms of equal loudness.This has been confirmed by some reviewers as well, that they feel the HE-560 is harder to drive than the HE-500 despite Hifiman's claim to it being...