Posts by Bill-P

Welcome! I'm sure we can use the extra gears.   Oh man, this is looking more and more like a real CanJam after-party. We're getting most of CanJam stuffs but in a more intimate and small-scale settings. Awesome! (coffee with a dash of cream in my glass, hahaha)  Sounds great! Hope I'll get to see you there! 
@runeight, my order is placed, good sir. I'm probably somewhere after the first 100 units. Haha... beaten to the punch by other folks.   But this was an unbelievable price. I didn't think you'd take my suggestion to heart, so... you can have the $600 now. I'm HAPPY to give you that much. Carbon truly deserves it.    
Well, I'm trying to tell you that his observations are too localized to a few headphones that specifically exhibit the problem, and he's making sweeping universal statements out of it. I think he's only seeing half of the truth, but he's stating it as a whole. If I have to be nice, he's mistaken about his hypothesis that the dip at 7.5KHz is desirable. And that's just that. We can keep pulling graphs of headphones, but... anyway, here's one that doesn't exhibit the problem...
His Stax is the SR-Lambda, which also has a peak at 8KHz. Here's a graph for it (made by purrin):  Some variations of the HD650 also has a peak at 9-10KHz, that would make the 8KHz region stand out as well:http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf
Nope. If you read the first post carefully, the poster mentioned that someone experienced a peak at 7.5KHz, which he attributed to the ear canal, ear drum interacting with the transducer. But that's not the actual case. The headphone used was the Etymotic ER4S. If it's anything like the Etymotic ER4PT, which Tyll also measured, then you'll find that Tyll's graph does note a huge spike at 8KHz:http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticER4PT.pdf That is to say... what he...
 I didn't want to post this yet, but here's a pre-fazor LCD headphone with its damping structure altered slightly...   The same thing can't be achieved with the fazor models because there is barely any room left after the fazors to put anything else in. So at least from a modding/damping perspective, the non-fazor models are better, yeah. And personally, I think LCD-3F sounds godawful. Edit: added CSD graphs in case anyone thinks there is any funny business going on. Also...
 It's done.Welcome!  
Yeah, sorry... I forgot to mention. Contribution of gears to present at meet is not mandatory/required, but you are encouraged to bring your own just so you have a frame of reference to compare directly against other gears that will be at the meet.   For instance, all of my headphones are modded/tuned, so folks should bring their stock headphones to compare and see if it's worth it for them to attempt modding. Sometimes you can take a headphone much further than stock by...
Yeah, I have tried a lot of things to see if I could remove that dip. I think it's an effect of the enclosure being closed back, and that right there is the frequency at which the reflecting backwave from the driver cancels out a part of the wave in front. Acoustic foam helps move the dip up or down, but that also drops bass because the driver isn't getting pressurized in the back, and the front is more pressurized, impeaching diaphragm excursion.   A new semi-open...
 Welcome! Man... we're kinda full, but I'll put you on the queue and see what we can do. You may change your mind after you hear my modded LCD-2.  ---- So... some folks have contacted me regarding this, and it seems like a few of our members would like to put some of their gears up for sale at the meet. I'll collect a list of that soon. I may also let go of some of my modded headphones, too. But I haven't decided yet.