Posts by Bill-P

There's nothing wrong with enjoying bass. But I think better quality bass is just... well, better. And I know the bass of the Z7 can be made better without sacrificing much (if any at all) of the quantity.  Personally, I think the Z7 is a good headphone, but it can be made into a greater headphone if Sony had just spent a bit more time on it. Either that or Sony knows, but they are deliberately releasing worse models now to prepare for something else in the near future.
 Sounds like we'll see some crazy rigs there. Looking forward to it.  Hopefully I will finally get to hear the R10, as I'm dying to hear how much better it is compared to my modded Z7.
 There have been many many more substantial changes since then. But it's very tedious and complicated. I may not write up a guide this time, since I won't have the time to dissect everything and putting it all together, plus there won't be many who can perform the whole thing through.
 I have yet to try the PHA-3, but I hope I'll get the chance soon. Glad you're liking my pair! I also thought they sounded much better than the stock pair from memory, but I didn't have the stock to compare. If you don't mind, can you let me know how the modded pair compares against the CD3K and R10?
Oh yes, please. That one would probably be so rare at this point that to even find see one in person is like seeing a miracle!
I guess I'm about one of the few folks who think my 6+ is a bit on the airy/transparent side compared to my old iPhone 5?   Sounds like it's a case of rolled treble (frequency response) versus better transient (speed/decay).   The 6+ may have a rolled treble (or higher treble distortion) than the past iPhones, but I feel Apple did make the 6+ and the 6 a bit better as far as transient goes.   Either way, my iPod Nano (and will soon get an iPod Touch 5th Gen) is my...
 Well, unfortunately, I didn't get to CES. But I'd definitely love to give the HE-1000 a listen, of course. I loved the HE-560, and I feel it could have been perfect if the tuning and damping was right at stock. I can totally fathom someone preferring the HE-1000 to the Orpheus... or any electrostatic headphone in general. I feel like that's the one flaw with electrostatic: not enough weight, so... everything sounds a bit too etheral, too floaty, not physical or planted,...
I have a 6+... it's warm like the older classic, but very detailed and with much better air/clarity compared to something else. It's better than even my MacBook Pro, which is surprising.   And I have a Z7... which I modded to hell and back.   I'm happy with plugging the modded Z7 directly into the 6+, too, so... there's that.   I'd say... get the phone, because it'll be more useful, and not worry too much about the amp/DAC until you have more funds for that. And then...
Will there be a Sennheiser Orpheus there? It's one of the last few headphones that I'd love to try. The others being...   Audio Technica ATH-L3000   and...   Sony MDR-R10   I get the feeling I may end up loving the Orpheus a lot...
 No problem! I've posted some general pointers on how to open your pair up below, if you'd like to see all that.  Well, what it entails is... take the ear pads off, unscrew the mounting ring, take the mounting ring and foam piece off, then gently pull the driver baffle out by tugging along the felt pieces. Alternatively, take the grill off and gently push on the magnetic array (make sure you support the other end so the baffle won't just free-fall out). Once you get the...