Posts by Bill-P

Oh, my bad. Well, I haven't released details yet. Will send the modded pair back for some actual measurements before releasing details. I'm not a number nazi, but I like to have some numbers to either back up my sanity, or prove my insanity. I personally feel the modded HE-560 sounds very different compared to stock, but it may just be my expectation bias, so... hence the measurements. Will hopefully have more details after next week. I do plan on releasing the mods I've...
Apex or TTVJ gears are really awesome IMO.   I recently found a used TTVJ Millett Portable Tube Hybrid for a very good price, so I snatched it up like the greedy bastard that I was.   And guess what? It drove the HE-560 like a boss. I was totally speechless.    The tonality, the driving power, and everything... man, that amp was delicious. I'd be happy using it as the main amp in any HE-560 rig. It is that good.   Teaches me more that tonality is the other thing...
Please note: my LCD-2 is modded. Would agree that stock HE-560 will handily beat stock LCD-2 any day, so it wouldn't come as a surprise that LCD-X would beat stock LCD-2 IMO. But modded, the LCD-2 does sound very different.
 Yep. And I'm still releasing my mods for the HE-560, of course. A lot of folks liked it. I still like it. In fact, I still prefer it over the modded LCD-2 if the following are a priority: 1) Airiness <- only by a hair, but still, it is more airy2) Ease of modifications <- can be done in no time flat once you know what to do. Much easier to deal with than Jerg's mod IMO, and also less margin of error. Also no fuzzor, grill mod needed except you can still do it if you want...
 Well, stuffs.  I'd release details, but it would only apply to my specific pair of LCD-2 due to some variance in tonality and frequency response between different LCD-2 units, and also channel imbalance (my pair is 3-5dB louder on the left versus the right, and I've also measured that). I guess I just got lucky, and mine is... well, I'd say "somewhat" better than the average LCD-2. Innerfidelity also has some data on this... where a bunch of LCD-2 units were measured and...
 Well, I didn't try my hands at modding the LCD-2 at the time. Stock LCD-2 is very meh compared to modded HE-560, or even stock HE-560. I got the LCD-2 for cheap, and after fixing some issues with it (hair on diaphragm, broken cable, etc..), I was "curious". And then after that "curiosity", I was blown away. But modding the LCD-2 isn't a walk in the park like modding the HE-560. It's much harder, and the tuning may have to be done differently on each ear side due to...
Of course. If you've been wondering how my modded ATH-ES10 sounds like, then you'll finally get the chance.  Plus I'll bring along what I consider to be the best portable rig for it: an iPod Nano 7th Gen coupled to the elusive TTVJ Millett Portable Tube Hybrid that I modified a little bit for a cleaner sound and bigger soundstage. So please bring your ESW10JPN if you'd like to give this one a whirl. Teaser: (oh, and that LCD-2 is also modded)  
 Well, I only do so "somewhat" due to the inner collector spirit in me. The HE-560 is one of the few rare headphones that I think has good tonality for vocal music... and I'm a hardcore midrange-head. But the other side of the coin is... I do have a modded LCD-2 now, too, which I think will beat the HE-560 handily, but that's a different matter altogether.  If I get the HE-560 again, it'd be as a backup for the LCD-2.
So... I sold my HE-560 due to personal reasons.  Then a friend asked me to release details on my HE-560 mod, so... I borrowed a pair of HE-560 to perform the mod on.   And then I snuck a listen.   Dang, I do somewhat regret selling it. And the mod doesn't even do anything too crazy. Takes like 5 minutes to do.    
Yeah... if you'd seen the inside of the Z7, then you'd understand what Purk is talking about. Super duper thin and flimsy wire. I'm still stumped by that, and I'm not even sure whether it is possible to solder thicker silver wires for the internal wiring to remove that bottleneck... (because I know just that part alone will bring about some glorious results) but without damaging the housing in the process because they left just barely enough room for the thin...