Posts by Bill-P

So it seems more quality power (stable supply and a lot of it), or more precisely... a close-to-ruler-flat super-minimal-ripple supply of current is necessary to bring out the best in the HE-560. I have never thought about amp power supply design with this much stability until the HE-560... it's crazy!   Plus the right amp topology, and now I'm starting to "hear" the HE-560 in a whole new light.   Even the speaker output of my McIntosh MAC 4100 doesn't quite deliver...
@saxelrod92, Have you tried the Focus Pads A yet? Darker tonality overall, the inside is bigger than Focus Pads, and I think even the opening is slightly bigger as well.
Well, please name a price, good sir.   I'm definitely interested.   And if you are willing to take trades, I do have some gears that I can offer... like a vintage McIntosh amplifier that's still fully functional, and say... my HE-560?
The best T1 that I heard sounded dark... with some sibilance spikes that were more or less the same as I could remember from my DT880/O2 combo... and it was extremely thick and warm, with a lot of sub bass rumble. Overall, I guess it could be considered an upgrade to my old DT880 600... all else considered. And yeah, Daniel would have cringed just looking at the headphone.Anyway, this DT880's bass is not really a problem. My amp is already bringing it up to par with my...
 Well, I can tell you that I have heard two T1s... side by side, and they both sound different. Remarkably so. Anyway, this DT880 is quite special indeed. Compared to my ES10, it's much less aggressive, but the sound signature is actually pretty similar. It's just lacking the bass impact and body of the ES10 and HE-560. But given that the DT880 sounds very relaxed compared to the other 2 headphones, I guess I can forgive the less dynamic presentation. It actually works...
 Yes. It is totally alright. You're on the list now, sir! Glad to have you with us! If you would like to see if the upgrade path is worth it, I do have the Fostex HP-P1 with me...  Hope you can lock in on that date! Would love to have as many folks with us as possible. The more the merrier!  And you need to try your HE-500 on my own DIY amp, sir!  Haha, I can see how lugging your stuffs around might be cumbersome. Well, if you can bring something small to show off, I think...
 Well, my ears are a lot more sensitive to sibilance than some others. One possible reason is because I listen to music and movies pretty much at live level (80dB or above), so stress on amp aside, that level would reveal a lot of information about any recording. Regular people I know listen to 70dB or below. On the other hand, my taste is more toward the darker side of neutral, with a bit of bass boost. I guess I'm just too used to speakers?
 I haven't heard the 32 Ohm DT880, to be honest, so I can't quite comment on that. And I'm not implying that there is necessarily a difference between the 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm DT880... but the DT880 600 that I have right now does sound very smooth and slightly dark compared to the Pro one that I heard earlier. Now if we were talking about the DT770, I would honestly disagree that the 32 and 600 Ohm versions sound "identical", simply because they have different dampening...
 I'd agree with this... Having spent a whole year tuning my ATH-ES10 to sound nice, I don't think a lot of people realize how nice it would be to have a self-contained driver unit that sort of protects against clumsy hands and careless mods. That's one of the reasons I am shying away from doing grill mod to my HE-560, and instead... I'm opting to build an amplifier instead. Talking about which, a testament to how balanced and neutral the stock HE-560 is... is that in the...
 Well, it'll be a full build. So for roughly around $200 (hopefully less if I can find replacement components for cheaper!), you get something like a souped up O2 but without the battery compartment... because I'm leaving room for sound quality improvements... and expensive components. I'm planning for it to have enough power to drive pretty much everything in existence... except for the Abyss AB1266 and Hifiman HE-6. That it has nice synergy with the DT880 even though I...