Posts by Bill-P

Vali can only reach 115mW at 600 Ohm. Lyr is the one that can reach 300mW at 600 Ohm. (330mW from website) But the impedance of the DT880 600 Ohm is... not at 600 Ohm all the time. It can shoot up to 700 Ohm. So you would have to almost max out the volume knob in some cases. And then the other issue of power supply stability may arise since the Vali may clip out stuffs at max volume due to the variance in impedance of the DT880 600. That's why it's good to have some...
 I could, but I would charge quite a lot. Mwahahaha! Seriously, though, I'll think about that. I want to make sure I have extracted every single drop of juice out of the headphone before I consider it okay to sell. And on another note, there is a way to improve low frequency response on the W1000X. Other than dynamat, that is. But I am afraid it will just exacerbate the upper mid/low treble peak of the drivers.  No, they are practically still the same things. So they can...
You can bend the headband back to achieve a tighter clamp, so it is reversible. Just... harder to bend it back that way than to "uncompress" it.   My modded W1000X was nice as well, but I don't think it ever got as nice as the W1000.   The thing is... Audio Technica drivers have always been tuned to have more bass slam rather than bass rumble, so you really can't expect much there.   If you wanted more sub-bass, Beyerdynamic drivers or Fostex would do a better job....
@AnakChan, as I listened to the setup, I thought there was a weird lack of space. Everything was a bit too upfront. Not like I am one to say given my gears are mostly midrange-centric, and thus have very forward vocals, but I thought the SR-007Mk2 was even more forward than that, and in some cases, that caused the soundstage to collapse upon me. The immersion is still there, and some recordings were still wide and big from what I could hear, but some recordings were just...
 Well, even the measurements we have of headphone amps mostly done with resistive load (as is the case with the O2 when its designer published his numbers). But you can see that with a hard load like the UERM, or the IE8, frequency variation is audible. Something like the DT880 600 should have less of a frequency variation, provided the amp can ramp its voltage high enough to accommodate the headphone and still keep that steady. You know what else I have found? Vintage...
Oh yeah, thanks for your comments on the ES10, too, CEE TEE! I went back home and listened more closely to the ES10. You are right. It's more disjointed because there is a dip in lower frequencies and also right around 1K-2K. I have remedied that now. In fact, I tried to tune it to sound more like the W1000 + McIntosh combo. I can't wait until the next mini meet to have you listen to it!
Haha, you would be surprised. I tell ya, those who heard it were quite surprised. To me, it can easily outpace both the stock W1000 (non-X) and the W3000ANV in clarity and soundstaging. Especially soundstaging. It really makes me wonder why Audio Technica didn't tune it that way to begin with. I really don't want to make comparisons to other headphones, but if you would like an idea, there was a HD800 + Zana Deux setup at the meet...
 The original non-X W1000 is a definite upgrade. As for how much of an upgrade it is... I guess it depends on how far you are willing to mod it. Mwahahaha! I don't want to sound conceited so I'm holding back from making comparisons, but the W1000 non-X with the right modifications and right amp sounds very very nice. I was right to choose it as my end-game.
And impression thread is up. Please share your thoughts if you have any: SF Bay Area Mini Meet May 4th 2014 impressions
Well, it's a mini-meet, but since I got to speak to folks and listen to a lot of cool gears, and did comparisons, I was able to get impressions on a lot of stuffs.   First up... Zana Deux + HD800 combo. Man, I was floored, no doubt. Easily the best system I heard at the meet. Everything was just right. Especially the midrange. It wasn't too bad for dubstep and EDM either.   Next... HD600 + Geek Out 1000. Haha... I never thought I would say this, but this is not half...