Posts by Bill-P

Not sure why nobody has taken these off your hands yet. These sound awesome! (hint: they have more damping than the 80 Ohm version, and they are closer to the 250 Ohm version)   I'm not in the US right now, otherwise these would be gone so fast!   If they are still available in a month (very unlikely), I'll be very happy to take them off your hands.
From my experience, the ESW11 ear pads if brand spanking new would be too supple, and as a result, it sounds a bit muffled since the drivers are slightly further away.   After "burn-in" (or simply physically compress the ear pads by pressing them in between thick books/dictionaries), they will become far softer, which makes bass more tame, and the sound also becomes clearer.   The ESW9 ear pads, in comparison, isolates less, and due to the microfiber cloth used for the...
Yep! Thanks!
Oh no, why would you apologize? It was just a misunderstanding. To be honest, I think Ken could have worded that sentence better so as to avoid confusion, or at least elaborate a little more on what he meant.   As for whether the Cambridge would be better... I think you really would have to get both and compare. Either that or just choose one that you think would fit your needs best and forget about the other one. I have found more often than not that there really is no...
I think you are misreading his sentence.   The DAC in the Apogee Duet 2 is just a single chip but it can handle 4 separate channels, so that you can play back different things on your headphone/speakers simultaneously, but all of them are still going through the same DAC chip.   Someone please correct me on this, but it seems the Duet 2 has the ES9018 DAC chip inside, which can decode 8 separate channels all at once. The implementation in the Duet 2 seems to have...
Well, before you knock on the guy, his review of the HD800 is actually quite spot on.   The HD800 is very very very VERY source-picky. If you are lucky enough, you get an amp pairing that it likes (and that has to include the source material, the DAC, and heck, probably the cable as well!), and then the soundstage opens up just enough for it to sound like how it should.   But in general, I find the DT880 quite competent and far easier to pair with than the...
I think I've finally nailed it.   I have made my ES10 comparable to my W1000 in pretty much everything except for soundstage width.   And those who have listened to my modded W1000 knows it's no slouch.   The only downside is that the dampening mod would require a lot of precision, and also some fine-tuning (due to how precise it is), so I'm not sure how I can release it to the public now. And I get the feeling the stock ES10 ear cups would require a bit more tuning,...
Pretty much all "closed" audiophile headphone, including the DT770 mentioned is "semi open" in design, because they need some amount of air in order to tune their bass.   A completely closed audiophile headphone would have very light to no bass whatsoever. That's just because if there is no air, then there is no way to get that bass pressure.   But sound leakage in a semi-open headphone is actually due to either:   1) Bad seal   2) Bad resonance with the...
 Something being leaps and bounds better would only happen when it has the right chain of source components (DAC and amp) to support it. And yeah, I can vouch that the Beyer DT headphones and the Denon line are better or at least comparable to the headphones you mentioned. To add to that, I have heard a good number of high-end IEMs, to name a few, UERM, IE800 (Sennheiser), and Tralucent 1plus2. And I have also heard the Triple Fi 10. When I heard the TF10, I thought it...
You seem to have formed an opinion already, and you refuse to try other possibilities, so...What's the point of the discussion?I'm just saying... try other headphones before you make a statement.The ones you listed are hardly representative of the best that can be had under $500. With the exception of the HD650, but that one needs the right amp to shine.