Posts by Bill-P

Well, I'm waiting on purrin/marvey to come back with some measurements of a stock HE-560, then I'll take that pair, mod it (nothing irreversible, so no cutting ear pads or anything), and send it back to him to measure so that we can get proper "delta" on how the headphone sounds like. Meanwhile, I have my hands full with the Sony MDR-Z7. Lovely headphone, though somewhat very very tedious to mod... but I'm getting results that are... startling me. Almost to the point...
Yeah, I did fuzzor and something else outside for a while, I have since moved on to a more... insane method. But it honestly doesn't hurt it to try. I don't think I noticed much of a difference, but you may find otherwise.
Well, he owned the Ed.8 and still owns the T5P. But he has heard the Alpha Dogs, Paradox, Enigma, LCD-XC, etc... and he has pretty particular taste in sound and music, so pleasing him wasn't easy at all. I was honestly very surprised. On a more personal note, I don't think my Z7 has gotten that much closer to R10, but I think it is well on its way to becoming an awesome headphone on its own. If only I can just figure out the last step I have to do... both of my friends...
Well, 2 seasoned Head-Fi'er just heard my Z7 w/ stock cable.   One of them is very used to the HD800, and... he's highly considering purchasing a Z7, as it sounds better than a lot of closed headphones to him.   The other one proclaimed the Z7 as the best full-size closed headphone he has ever heard, and he got as far as the T5P and Edition 8...   So... I'm proud of it, and I think that sort of confirmed what I thought initially: the Z7 really is capable of being a...
No, I agree with Jerg. For instance, frequency response measurement is typically done by taking into account the highest peaks of impulses sent by a frequency sweep. The highest peak is one thing, but looking at an RTA read out, I can see there are other less high peaks that resonate out at other frequencies due to various factors (enclosure reflection, ear pads?) and those peaks are definitely audible, too. I suspect they are related to harmonic distortion, or something...
Just as above. I don't have either of them anymore, but from memory, it's essentially like this: Bass: PHA-1 has more of this. In fact, a bit too much with certain headphones. Also bass can be too loose with PHA-1. HP-P1 doesn't have the quantity, but it makes up for that with quality bass that's clean, clear, and very well extended. Midrange: PHA-1 sounds a bit distant, and a bit grainy here. HP-P1 has a smoother, warmer, and more lush midrange. Also PHA-1 sounds...
And that's why I want measurements. If it can be expressed in numbers, then at least one would know what to expect. Or if it cannot, then... there's that, too. No conclusive difference with measurements would essentially mean... well, no significant difference.
 Yeah, subjectively, they are. I'd just like to have some numbers to show people that I'm not just going crazy.   I'm 100% sure that Fang and co. are 200% capable of making a headphone that blows my mind. The thing is... I think they had to cut back a little and introduced a more simplistic approach in terms of acoustical design for their products. That's because such an approach would be easier to reproduce reliably at a manufacturing facility, and furthermore, it would...
 I'm awaiting measurements to quantify the differences (if any) before I release detailed step-by-step instructions. I wouldn't want to waste people's time if it turns out there is no measurable difference after all.
 Yeah... I think we are both trying to do the same thing. I'm just a bit more extreme in my approach. Next step is to get some rolls of solid silver core cable in so that I can braid a replacement that has more conductors for the Z7. I think it's most likely the copper core of the SPC cable of the HE-560 holding that little extra back. Just for comparison's sake, here's the song I'm using to test "speed":  Stock Z7 sounds all jumbled up, but my version now is just ever so...