Posts by Bill-P

Well, I don't mean to state anything... but I really have listened to a lot of high-end headphones, got impressed by the JPS Labs Abyss, and still... somehow I feel the HE-560 is the best headphone I have heard to date. It keeps scaling up with higher quality components in the signal path, too. This is the first headphone I have put on my head that can reliably demonstrate the differences between DACs for me. That's how I am able to tell my Neko Audio D100 Mk.II is...
 I used the glue found in dynamat to stick the foam there, but you can find adhesive-backed foam, too. And the mesh screen can be easily removed by snapping off the retaining ring on top of it. After that, it just comes right off.
 It's behind the mesh screen. 2mm creatology foam should do. Be careful not to poke the diaphragm under the magnetic structure, though. And yeah, it's reversible.
 Repost, but here's all that I did. And it did the trick.  No more sibilance, and a somewhat smoother response as well.
The  Well, I'd agree! People will probably disagree with me, but the HE-560 is the best headphone ever made to me. After modding it to get rid of the slight tendency to be sibilant, it's just perfection!  Yeah, you're right. However, I think there is still some very small interaction going on. At least if not in terms of mechanical damping, then it's in terms of electrical damping. In theory, it would matter. In practice, it's probably too minuscule to be noticeable with...
 Well, it is necessary... for protection. But it's definitely going to mess with damping factor... even considering however much the speaker amp itself is already messing with damping factor to begin with. But that's to say... some people may prefer the smear. I know I will, since I did something similar with my DIY amp after all... though not with damping factor. I'm trading textures for smoothness, but in my opinions, it's totally worth it for low-end sources (Youtube,...
You can run straight through the speaker amp just fine... as long as you don't plug the headphone in when the volume knob is set to some ridiculously high level and there is some music playing back.   The Hifiman HE Adapter box has some protection mechanism in place to protect both the headphone and you from that situation, though it may degrade sound quality because it'll most likely mess with damping factor and may make things sound softer/smeared.
The contact on the left side of my stock cable on the last HE-560 I had actually broke that way after 3-4 times of twisting it "the other way".   So I haven't taken the cable off of my replacement HE-560 ever since it arrived.   It's not just potentially bad. The connector of the HE-560 is very flimsy inside (because it broke clean off and the golden connector part came off so I knew it was flimsy).   Of all of the nice things I can say about the HE-560, I must agree...
 Do Step 1 of Jerg mod. It'll improve soundstage width and depth even more so than the grill mod. Skip Step 2 if you don't want to lose midrange warmth and body. But yeah, I think there is some change with the HE-560 either to the metal ring or some other changes that we may not be aware of. I mean... the metal ring has been around for a long time, but people didn't notice until it was brought up way later.  Crack doesn't have the current output, so at higher volumes, it...
Well, you will find that old men will still groan until they get the Stax SR-009 coupled with the Blue Hawaii... ...or the JPS Labs Abyss coupled with Cavalli Liquid Gold... Beyond that, I consider myself quite young, and I work so I can afford an HD800 rig without much issue, but I still find that I'd enjoy something that's far less bright than the HD800 on a regular basis. It's more about the tuning, I think.