Posts by Bill-P

Well, my modded LCD-2 would sound very very very different from how you remember any Audeze headphone at all then. Perhaps that's also why I'm biased into thinking the HE-560 could be more textured.   But anyway, will probably post the HE-560 guide soon. I put an emphasis in the following: - Tame the 4KHz peak/weirdness. Orthodynamic headphones typically have an issue around this region, but I think the HE-560 has something "more" here that makes it "weirder" than other...
I think the HE-560 biggest "issue", per se, is the lack of textures/fine details extraction that some higher-end headphones can happily dish out. That's really what sets it apart from the top-end crowd.   And I'm almost inclined to think that this "lack" is intentional so as to help the HE-560 sound smooth and silky. It is certainly less peaky and aggressive than the HE-6 this way. Hence... I'd describe the HE-560 as a cleaner, better HD600. Its tonal balance is just...
They already did. It's called the Fostex TH500RP.   But really, there is only so much you can extract out of a small and old driver. They would be much better off designing something new and bigger to optimize for sound quality.
Yep.   Get the HE-560. I don't know which professional reviewer this is, but I'd respectfully disagree with him, and cite the fact that in terms of technical specifications alone, the HE-560 is already superior to the Alpha Prime.   Without resorting to hard data and numbers, my subjective impressions of the Alpha Prime is that its bass is lacking, generally very flimsy sounding although extension is quite good. Midrange on the Prime sounds weird and wonky, peaky, not...
Wow, that's a pretty crazy peak at 4KHz if true. I don't think I heard Jerg's mod do that to my pair... but obviously, my memories are hazy now after my own mods.   Would love for you to try out my mods and put up some measurements when I put it up, Paul. Mine does intentionally try to adjust the frequency response.  
 Modded HE-560 is close to end-game. Modded LCD-2 is pretty much the other spectrum of that "close to end-game".  (so they are kinda very comparable) Both headphones are at the threshold of what I'd consider "okay" for me to listen to long-term. Something like the SR-009 and HD800 is more impressive on first demo, but wears me out fast thanks to the extra brightness. Plus neither of them has enough impact. If I were to get the 009, I'd have to amp it pretty hardcore to...
It isn't always true that sibilance is a problem with brighter headphones. For instance, sibilance is not a problem with the HE-560, even though the HE-560 can be said to be a bright headphone as well.   It's just that the DT880's frequency response has a peak between the 6-8KHz region that emphasizes sibilance. If this peak was higher (in the 10KHz region), then the DT880 would still be bright but not sibilant at all. Everywhere else, the DT880 has a very even and...
Oh, I see. Well, I do have an iPhone, but I can supply my own camera kit so you won't have to bring yours.   I also snuck a listen to the ESW11LTD, but it was a bit too warm, thick, and dark. I like dark, but not when it's too warm and too syrupy. The ES10 stock indeed had too much bass. So I modded the ES10 to get more clarity, reduce the bass, and bring the vocal forward. My pair probably sounds nothing like the stock pair. In fact, it's the same for my LCD-2. It won't...
@dallan, I understand. I wouldn't want to bring too much, either, hence why I'm trying to go for a more portable setup this time around. Will bring all of my modded gears, though.   Would love to give the Ak120/Hugo setup a try myself. I've been contemplating an AK120 in place of that iPod Nano. Zana Deux is boss, though. God... I still wish I'd save up enough for a unit one of these days. Such an insanely good amp.   Would love to check out the ESW9LTD, too. I have...
Well, what you heard correlates pretty well with theoretical science.     It's that some people want it to be "measurable", and they just don't want "I think". They want pure, hard numbers, which... IMO, is quite hard given that the difference may have significant figures so low that we probably won't be able to measure it for cheap. And anyone who has the means to actually measure the difference would likely has better things to do anyway, like... quantifying the...