or Connect

Posts by Bill-P

Awesome! :) Let's see... I'll be bringing: Sennheiser HD 600 super modded <- won't spoil this one early. Ya gotta hear it for yerselfLFF's Code-X <- because I'm a huge fan of this thing, I got oneBill-P's AMP-2 <- yes, the 2nd version of my DIY amp. Balanced output onlySchiit Gungnir Multibit <- end-game DAC for me... until they come out with something that's even more resolving Bill is joining the big league now. Hahaha. I think this will be where I stop and rest for a...
Well, if you'd like to get it on, I'd say... first change thread title to something definite like "SF meet end of October" so that more people will sign up.   And then start taking names, but don't spill blood... yet! Wait 'til the day. Hahahaha!    Okay, in all seriousness, I think we should get a list of attendees going, then a list of gears, and see if all of those will fit into @gepardcv 's place. If not, we should either invent a space-time expanding device, or...
I'm in. Actually, I can help organizing lists and all, too. Should I open a new thread about it to keep track and all that?
I've gotta listen to the Ether C to tell. To my ears, the Ether didn't have that much bass at all. Its bass was decent out of my amp, but still, some other headphones (HE-560, LCD-2, HE-1K, etc...) easily surpass it in terms of bass impact IMO. So I'm reasonably assuming the Ether C won't have much of an issue surpassing the bass impact of the Ether. Now... what I'm suspecting may be the case is that... in general, closed-back headphones tend to have some reflections...
I think the HD600 is the better pairing than the 650 if you like the HD598. The 650 may just be too warm, whereas the 600 is more even and neutral.
Remember that time when I said that the HE-1K didn't sound as good as it was made out to be?  Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing the Ether C soon. Maybe I should book a ticket to RMAF. I missed out on so much during summer vacation. During that time, I found the Oppo PM-3 to somehow match my taste well (weird, as I didn't get that when I listened to them at Wikia), so right now it's my closed-back reference, but I'm always open to other options.
Oppo PM-3 is actually pretty close.   I think the Nad Viso HP50 is closer to the HD650 than it is to the HD600. Even then, it doesn't seem to be on the same technical level.   The Oppo, on the other hand, does get pretty close, though it falls short of the ultimate resolution that one can get from the HD600 with much better amplification. The PM-3 stops scaling at some point... but it can be plugged directly into a mobile phone, so if you're into that.
It's bad enough that I'm not back on time for this. So... have fun, guys! I look forward to the impressions and photos to follow. Since it's dawn of the 19th here, I'd bet fun stuffs are happening over there!
Output impedance is not the only metric that you will see an improvement when using a dedicated headphone-only amp. Distortion, noise, etc... will also see an improvement, though these improvements may vary depending on the model.   Your question is basically the same as "why do I need to upgrade to a 2015 BMW sports car when my 1973 Honda Civic still gets me to the supermarket and back?"   So... with that, I hope you'll arrive at the answer that works for you. 
So, I finally got to meet Frank and discuss DIY. Also got to measure his headphone.   Thanks, Frank!    Measurement data below. Note: measurements are meant to show DIFFERENCES rather than to definitively state whether something sounds "better" or more "neutral" than the others.   Frequency response with Stax SR-007 ear pads: (with and without foam)     Frequency response with Audeze ear pads: (with and without foam)     Comparison between 2 different types...