Posts by Bill-P

Purk will receive my Z7 any moment now. Can't wait to get his impressions on them!
Well, you'd give up quite a bit of sound quality... unless you are willing to spend quite a bit more than $200.   It's not that the HE-560 needs a really powerful amp. I think you'd ideally want to get for it an amp that's "clean", and in general provides "clean" power. Some portable and transportable amps have to shave down the power supply section in order to fit into smaller chassis, and so... most of them have issues driving something like the HE-560 due to that....
Why would you want the amp to be transportable?
 I did mention unmodded. Unmodded, T5P bests Z7 in clarity, mids, treble, etc... IMO. Note: good T5P. T5P, like many other Beyer's Tesla models, has some issue with quality control, and so two pairs of T5Ps may sound very different. And yeah, I'd agree that the vast majority of Head-Fi members can't mod or will not mod a headphone. For those who will not mod, well, they're missing out on the Z7. For those who can't mod, I think others can offer a modding service. As for...
No problem!   I'll let you in on a little something... a friend of mine has the T5P. After listening to my modded Z7, he put his T5P up for sale. He'll even trade it for a Z7 if you'd like... though my honest opinion is to just hold on to the Z7. It is a very special headphone once it's modded.
Yeah, Z7 will have better soundstage. Frankly, I think it has the biggest soundstage of all closed-back headphones I have ever heard... save for maybe the TH900 where the Z7 either ties with, or only a little bit less wide.   And Z7 won't need very special amp/DAC IMO. The PHA-3 has been said to do some special processing in order to make the Z7 sound good.   I don't have the Z7 with me right now, but... I have also found from the service manual that the stock cable...
Don't get too hung up on the T5P. It is a better headphone than the Z7 at stock... if you don't listen to bass-heavy music. But as soon as you play any bass at all, the Z7 holds a significant lead over the T5P. And the modded Z7 is simply leaps and bounds better than the T5P. And that's only where sound is concerned. Comfort, design, etc... the Z7 would easily surpass the T5P.
More mods to come whenever I'm done with the Sony MDR-Z7 (bigger brother version of the XB950BT).   I have learned some... useful things while working with the Z7, and I think those things can be applied to the XB950.   Next mod will have more bass control, and yet more bass quantity at the same time. Also hopefully more treble... but I can already imagine the XB950 sounding even better than my last mods.
Oh, good. You're basically gravitating toward my definition of "neutrality". Kehehehe.    I'd guess that you'll like my mod for the HE-560 then. It was made specifically to deal with the treble spike.   However, I'm still waiting on measurements of the stock pair before I start writing things up. Argg... just a little more!   On a side note, I've decided to sell my HE-560, mainly to fund other things, and also because I'll be traveling in a few months, and I don't...
 Well, I'm waiting on purrin/marvey to come back with some measurements of a stock HE-560, then I'll take that pair, mod it (nothing irreversible, so no cutting ear pads or anything), and send it back to him to measure so that we can get proper "delta" on how the headphone sounds like. Meanwhile, I have my hands full with the Sony MDR-Z7. Lovely headphone, though somewhat very very tedious to mod... but I'm getting results that are... startling me. Almost to the point...