or Connect

Posts by Bill-P

It's bad enough that I'm not back on time for this. So... have fun, guys! I look forward to the impressions and photos to follow. Since it's dawn of the 19th here, I'd bet fun stuffs are happening over there!
Output impedance is not the only metric that you will see an improvement when using a dedicated headphone-only amp. Distortion, noise, etc... will also see an improvement, though these improvements may vary depending on the model.   Your question is basically the same as "why do I need to upgrade to a 2015 BMW sports car when my 1973 Honda Civic still gets me to the supermarket and back?"   So... with that, I hope you'll arrive at the answer that works for you. 
So, I finally got to meet Frank and discuss DIY. Also got to measure his headphone.   Thanks, Frank!    Measurement data below. Note: measurements are meant to show DIFFERENCES rather than to definitively state whether something sounds "better" or more "neutral" than the others.   Frequency response with Stax SR-007 ear pads: (with and without foam)     Frequency response with Audeze ear pads: (with and without foam)     Comparison between 2 different types...
I still owe folks some photos, so... here they are:   @jude and @baronkatz as captured by my "more awesome than Jude's" camera.  (seriously, though, Jude, you should get a Fuji X-Pro1 and join us camera freaks!)     And here's Jude with @Mr Practical.     Took this portrait as a personal request from Mr. Practical. But it was more like I wanted to show off how good I am at taking portraits.  Here's my "artistic" rendition of how the portrait should...
  This may just be because I spent some brief minutes listening to either headphone, but from what I can tell, both headphones are comparable. The Denon has a bit of a forward upper midrange/lower treble, that gives more of an impression of space, but upon closer listening, it isn't necessarily more spacious than PM-3. I think it was more in my face, and that the closeness of certain instruments makes others seem further away. PM-3 has a more even tonal balance to my ears....
 Hm... if I get the chance I will have to try this combo and see if you're right, bro.  I only got to grab the Geek Out V2 and compare it to my 450.
Yeah. Sorry for the confusing language.   I couldn't find the best way to describe it. It's a "neutral" amp with "character". 
Well, it's not contradictory if you know me. But I just realized that not everyone who reads that does. What it means is simply that what I consider "neutral" isn't "true neutrality", or at least not "neutrality" as others describe. I have come to realize and accept this. You can probably see from reading my other impressions. The Ether is considered by some as being a "neutral" headphone, but I find it too bright for my taste. Likewise, HE-1000 may just be right for some,...
It's time for Bill's "everything sux except for my own gears" impressions:   HiFiMAN HE-1000: it sucked...                                                                ... at CanJam. This one rocked my socks off. Tonal balance is very even, though a tad bright up top, which is remedied by the insane speed. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd call it the fastest headphone I have ever heard. Bass very fast and impactful, just short of...
I slept like a log as soon as I got home. Haha Will post photos and impressions soon, guys. Thanks for coming! The turnout at the meet was great! And I had fun with everyone!!