Posts by Bill-P

There is no guarantee that ultrasonic intermodulation would actually exist in any given system when ultrasonic information is present. A good amp (or pre-amp circuit in a DAC) should be able to filter ultrasonic information out by employing a properly designed low pass filter, but even that may not be necessary if the whole chain can faithfully reproduce these ultrasonic frequencies, and then they will be inaudible either way. Ultrasonic intermodulation might be a problem...
Well, iDevice compatibility also means a downgrade in sound quality since you are losing out on sampling rate and bitrate, so you are stuck with CD-quality at most.   Not to take anything away from the PHA-1, of course, since it is still one of the better gears that I have owned for a while. But just to say... you could get better from the PHA-1 if they had included optical input instead of an iDevice input.
If no iDevice compatibility is necessary, then the Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II can be had for much cheaper, and IMO, it's about on par with the Sony PHA-1. Plus it has coaxial and optical input, which still sound better than USB to my ears.
No, he is not wrong.   The frequency response of the headphone should not be altered too significantly, but yet that doesn't quite tell you much about the "sound".   An amp (in this case, the SGS3 and the Clip Zip both have an internal built-in amp) may introduce such things as out-of-phase error or excessive energy (by having capacitors in the signal path releasing their charge) at certain frequencies. Both of which contribute to things sounding "bloated" or in some...
 Because the electrical signal of the amp is actually as a result of how much "resistance" (or "impedance") the diaphragm/driver is presenting. Basically, I think you can look at it this way: as soon as you connect a headphone to the amplifier, the headphone is just asking the amplifier to send it something. The amplifier then looks at the headphone and sends the appropriate signal. The drivers/diaphragms then "dance" to the signal sent by the amplifier. It's a two-way...
Well, we have these...   http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared   And I think bass does magically get better with a better amp... provided the headphone can actually reproduce that bass, and there is no physical limitation such as not having enough air in the back chamber to push, or not having a good enough fit with the ear pads to...
Lowest possible gain (1X if possible) and max volume. Also max volume on your computer.
Yeah, I do prefer the DT880 over the other two.   It is more balanced overall, and it presents vocal better than the other headphones.
Even sanding them won't protect them from scratches. It seems that the ear cups are made using a titanium alloy that doesn't have a lot of titanium.   I think you might want to consider having custom wood ear cups made. They'll make a difference to the sound as well.
Not sure why nobody has taken these off your hands yet. These sound awesome! (hint: they have more damping than the 80 Ohm version, and they are closer to the 250 Ohm version)   I'm not in the US right now, otherwise these would be gone so fast!   If they are still available in a month (very unlikely), I'll be very happy to take them off your hands.