or Connect

Posts by Hibuckhobby

I think the consensus was that the Taboo II put out about 2.3w into 50 ohms.  That may be right on the edge for a HE-6, but the type of music and volume at which you listen is going to be a deciding factor.  I'm running HE-500's with mine and power is not an issue. I may get a 12AT7 or 5751 driver at some point for more gain on the front end, but that's more an issue of curiosity on my part than it is need. Hibuck....
Both amps are sold pending arrival of funds. regards, Hibuck....
I have a clean Lyr with three sets of tubes for sale.  One original set of GE's, one NOS GE's and one NOS RCA's. Comes with factory box and power cable.   $250   buyer pays paypal and I will cover shipping in US.   I also have a very clean Gustard H10.   I've only had it a few months and frankly did not plan on selling, but recently bought a Decware Taboo and I'm hooked.   Since I'm working away from home, I don't need 3 amps, so these are for sale.  Comes with cord...
Good question. RCA black plate 12au7, stock russian power tubes. RCA 5u4g rectifier. Just put in a Valve Art 274b, still burning in. A bit bass light right now compared to the RCA, I think I preferred the more euphonic sound But want to give the 274b a chance. Also going to try a 5751 or 12at7 driver. Regards, Hibuck...
Old thread, I know, but being an owner of a "new to me" Taboo II I have enjoyed reading this a great deal. Listening to Holly Cole right now with HE500's and loving it.   At times I don't think it is as transparent as some of the amps I've had, but then I notice how the music engages me and I decide to stop being analytical and just enjoy. Hibuck...
I'm on my second pair of HD700's and am waiting to get back home (working out of town) to roll some tubes on my Bottlehead Crack with it.  My first one sounded great with a Woo WA2 and NOS RCA power tubes. One of the most comfortable cans I've owned, right up there with the Beyer 880's and 990's.  Will be interesting to see how I like the 700's this time around.  I am also on my second pair of Koss 950 esl's and hated them the first time, love them...
I posted this in the forum, but decided to add it to this thread, since questions about bass performance and sound quality have been raised.   I just took the plunge and bought a Decware Taboo that should be here next week. The pending new kid on the block made me think about who might have to go down the road, so I pulled out the HE500's with canare cabling and hooked my Boulder Audio modded Squeezebox Touch directly to the amps with some short AQ...
I just took the plunge and bought a Decware Taboo that should be here next week. The pending new kid on the block made me think about who might have to go down the road, so I pulled out the HE500's with canare cabling and hooked my Boulder Audio modded Squeezebox Touch directly to the amps with some short AQ interconnects.   Not much of a headbanger, so I listened first to Eric Claption and BB King "Riding with the King" It's not the most revealing setup, but has the...
I have both and I would say it depends to a point on the tubes in the Lyr. The H10 is certainly quieter and I like the volume/gain  control options with the dip switches.  Part of the difference too is the "smoothness" of Class A vs. a hybrid output on the lyr.  Both have ample output power to run any of my dynamics or planars. Hibuck...
The greatest problems with reviews and forums is that they use their ears and not yours.  I like bass weight and texture, some like a rather lean, taut signature.  I'm very sensitive to a somewhat dry, analytical sound and others call that neutral.  Cans that feel like they are inserting ice picks into my ears are just what others seems to want.  Point being, it's really hard to predict what someone else will like.  Even after a couple hundred hours, I feel like my H10...