Posts by Mark-sf

Try disconnecting the Modi as you may be getting noise passed through from your computer. If you are still hearing the noise then I would try removing and reseating the tubes. If that doesn't work I would contact Schiit.  As to the know it will be quite warm. Check to see that it has not been pushed all the way in by using a small hex wrench. By making sure it is not touching the inner nut there is less thermal transfer.
I have both a 128g and 64g Sandisk that are authentic, formatted as exFAT and have been working fine. To check you player I would try not using a card and run songs from the internal 8g to see if you get the lockup. If you do and a reflash and reset don't work, I would exchange it.
I have no experience with the EF-5 but can emphatically state that the HD700's work very well with the Lyr 2 and premium tubes. I wouldn't make any changes until you've had about 500 hours on your EF-5/HD700 pairing.   
I am afraid that the PCC85's are not an optimum choice due to their filament requirement for 9v  as compared to 6.3v for the stock tubes. I have a pair of PCC189's from Lorenz that work well with a 7.6v requirement but I haven't heard anyone recommending the PCC85's. That being said, since their filament rating is 300ma, you will not exceed the Lyr specs but will likely only be running about 215ma of heater current in the Lyr 2. You might want to send a note to Jason to...
While I have not tried the 702's I have the HD700's which have the same sensitivity but twice the load at 150 ohms. I have found that the amp in the DX90 can drive them just fine and similar to separate portable amps. It will not drive them to their full potential but I haven't found and portable amp that does better then my Lyr 2.  Therefore, I use it straight when remote or mobile and make use of its line out when at home with my Lyr 2. 
No, because it is not an appropriate replacement. For one thing its filament current is 600ma which is double that which the regulation supports.
I have owned the Lyr and recently upgraded to the Lyr 2. I have found the improvements over the stock tubes that are offered by various "premium" tubes to track in both models. Therefore, this forum is an appropriate resource to explore and research possibilities for your Lyr 2. To clarify the 6N1P exception is the result of the addition of voltage regulation to the tube section. Besides the noise improvements, it places stricter current limits in order to maintain...
Interesting that you asked this question. At the SF Meetup I spent quite some time with the Alpha's and found that for a closed headphone their signature was very similar to the HD700's and actually had the best sound staging of any closed set that I have heard. On the other hand if by "complement" you mean you are looking for a different flavor, then I don't believe so. While I haven't had an in-home trial with the Alpha's I did bring my HD700's and the setup was a Lyr 2...
The following is the type used by many aftermarket custom cable makers.http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-Cable-Plug-for-Sennheiser-HD700-700-/321478840757?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4ad9a1d1b5
I didn't take offense though the logic of my answering his question about why his new tubes had lower noise brands me a "Schiit fanboy" escapes me.Besides answering I believe it's important for the new rollers or lurkers to understand that if they need a lower noise floor than the stock tubes (in spec) that an alternative tube is not going to do it. I already tried that with my HD700's which have greater sensitivity than most all OTH cans, to no avail. The only solution...