Posts by Mark-sf

I use mine with Triple-Fi 10ei's without the 75ohms engaged and there is no noise or hiss.  The same is true with my DT1350's and HD-700's bot of which are quite efficient.  Its a great portable DAC/Amp.
First, I do not agree with Kyle's criticism which has not been my experience at all. I come from Stax Lambda's where I was looking for mor dynamic range, low end extension, without loss of detail, soundstage and clean treble. My HD-700's fit that bill to a tee in the sub-$1000 price range.  As you, I listen to a full range of music but do not go below 320K for any serious listening.  Now as to you goals, the only one which the HD700 may not meet is the "punchy bass" which...
To be clear I was saying fairly low for a 32 ohm output impedance as we are discussing the Valhalla. Of course if you were asking about headphones in general it is not.
Take a look at the output impedance of the Valhalla. It is 32 ohms. A good match is generally considered to be at least 8x load which I assume is why the product description talks about matting with 300 to 600 ohm ones. So yes those other.headphones are too low for the Valhalla unless you like the frequency modification and bass control changes that will occur.
I find that recommendation a bit odd since the HD700's are fairly low impedance at 150 ohms and of pretty high sensitivity of 105db. The 700's simply are not in the target load that the Vahalla was designed for. Now I have been using my 700's quite successfully with the Lyr good low noise tubes. Since the gain is fixed and after the volume control, there is a very faint residual hum when no music is playing when using my Lorenz Stutgart PCC88s. I have to listen hard for it...
Just upgraded to the 105 and have an excellent Oppo BDP-83SE available. I am the original owner and the unit has been in a smoke free environment its entire life. Though it is used I guarantee it is working to specification and has the latest firmware upon shipment. All original accessaries and packing included.  This unit plays all types of disks CD, BR, SACD, DVD-A, etc and has the famed Sabre DAC for its analog outputs. I originally paid $899 and am making it...
Not to rain on your parade but I have had one on backorder from AA since 2/18 and it is still showing "Backordered". Did you actually get a ship notification? AA has stated they were in stock before when they were not only anticipated.
Yes, that is my experience as well. It is drawing USB current even when used with its external power supply. Mine also stays cold when only used as an amp.
I would also try a different USB cable. I found when using the short one delivered with my XM6 that it caused the unit to heat up to the level you are experiencing. After I changed cables, it only ever gets slightly warm.  
Excellent condition Schiit Lyr for sale! I have two and now am upgrading, so this one is leaving to find a new home. It is working at spec, and I am including everything you see below.  Please examine the pictures as the amp has no scratches and has been in a smoke-free home. I have the original box and packing. I will ship to PayPal confirmed addresses only with you paying shipping (UPS or Fedex insured) or local pickup in the SF Bay area. I will pay the PayPal...