Posts by Mark-sf

The noise floor is significantly lower due to two changes. First the gain switch allows you to optimize for sensitivity sine the gain is after the volume control. The other is the addition of regulation to the tube supplies that reduces hum and line noise.
I have three USB DACs, from a iBasso D-zero to a Practical Devices XM6 to Oppo BDP-105. All are better than what is in a Macbook Pro from my experience. One major factor is that you cannot bypass the line out/headphone stage in the MBPro without an external DAC that supports either USB or Optical. 
While I haven't tried the While I have not heard the Mjolnir with the HD700's be advised that you would also have to factor in balanced cables for the HD700 as it does not have an unbalanced input. Schiit does provide a home trial as well.
I am not going to generalize as I have only tried a few tube sets. However, the addition of the gain switch and regulated supplies means that tubes otherwise unacceptable due to hum or noise are now an option for a wide range of cans. Now one does have to watch one's wallet if tube-rolling is an irresistible temptation.
Using the Lyr 2 I do not note a change in bass between the tubes in either quantity or quality. This may be influenced by the new regulated power supplies in the Lyr 2. Please note that I do not like emphasized bass and do not enjoy and bass overhang in either my speakers or my headphones.  I have no experience with ALO products but it seems to me that given its $649 price that unless you needed both balanced and battery support, your money could be better spent as...
See my response to you in the Lyr 2 thread here.
While the E12 will power your HD700's just fine and is a nice portable amp, if you want to get the full potential out of the 700's, a desktop amp is called for. I am running the Lyr2+HD700 combination for the last month and I had been running the Lyr for a year prior. I also have a very fine portable DAC/Amp in the Practical Devices XM6 that I have used with the 700's as well as time with the Asgard 2. All of these amps make the 700's sound very good with full bass thru...
I find that the HD700's scale better than the HD800's as they are an easier load to drive and therefore can work over a wider range of amps. I especially like the paring with the Lyr2 as the new unity gain with a set of quality tubes such as Lorenz 6922 or VR 6N23P really bring out the best in them. Having said that I have not tried them balanced and have not heard anyone else running them that way.  After hearing a broad selection of the "high end" this last weekend at...
There is absolutely no increase in harshness with the Velour pads I posted about above. That being said I only listen to 320k and above.
You can try taller feet on the amp. The hottest area is under the right side edge near the Volume control. Otherwise the fan will help. Also if it is not enclosed where there is at least a foot of air on top will make a big difference.