or Connect

Posts by Royal Amethyst

Amazon has the original AKG K240 headphones for around $50 right now. They're pretty popular as inexpensive reference and studio monitors.
 I promised I'd get back to you and here I am! The beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm is pretty dang good for a closed-back headphone. I'm still getting used to the small soundstage compared to my open-back headphones, but the boom is pretty darn solid in areas with strong bass. I sound like I am inside of Tchaikovsky's cannons. The velour pads are more firm than the beyerdynamic T1 Tesla, but not uncomfortably so. The clamp force around the head is stronger too, but I...
 Hard to answer, I've never heard them. People do say the clamp force can be excessive, and doesn't let up even after years of stretching. I just got my DT 770 today. I'll demo them and let you know how those sound, at least. I do understand wanting a detachable cable, of course. Since you already have them ordered, might as well try them out and sell them if you don't like them. :)
I don't know if they're available in your country, but brainwavz sells some pads for the M50x: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OLKV5LI?psc=1 A lot of colors and a couple material options.
People who have used replacement pads for the M50x (especially velour) all tend to say it causes the headphones to lose some amount of bass impact. Your milage may vary. The replacement pads also tend to be bigger than the M50x which should make them more comfortable. I don't think anything can be done about their clamping force, though. For that price, I'd say look into the beyerdynamic DT 770. They're known to have some good bass, and the beyerdynamic design is one of...
The FiiO Q1 is an ultraportable dac/amp combo for when you're on the go. The FiiO A1 is an amp only, and also very portable. The FiiO E10K is a dac/amp combo that is smaller than most dacs and amps, so it could be considered portable, but really it's mostly for desktop or laptop use. I'd say the FiiO E10K would be the best if you're not planning on taking it jogging with you, since it's more powerful and versatile. Then again, you ARE using the HD 558, which...
beyerdynamic DT 770 will be fine. They will be fairly bassy too, which I think you'll appreciate coming from V-Moda rather than going for a more neutral headphone. The velour cups will also help your ears breathe, too.
Both would definitely improve the quality and quantity of sound coming from your headphones. I've been recommending this a lot, but for easy-to-drive headphones like yours, a simple Schiit Fulla or FiiO E10K portable dac/amp combo will be enough for you.
The Soundblaster Z is a sound card that will have features for gaming like virtual surround sound and a bunch of other stuff that a stereo dac/amp combo won't. Most external dacs are made for listening to headphones so they don't have all the special features of a gaming sound card. That's not to say it's going to be bad for gaming, but if you're one of those people that needs pinpoint sound placement in FPS matches or something, the Z will probably work better for...
I'm assuming your PC has some kind of sound card. An integrated sound card on the motherboard. Unless you literally mean you have absolutely no sound from your computer. Anyway, the Sennheiser HD 598 is one of those headphones that doesn't NEED dedicated equipment for it to play fine plugging directly into your computer or iPhone or whatever, however it will benefit from having a good source and decent amping.   If you're on a tight budget, just get a USB DAC/Amp combo...