Posts by Royal Amethyst

I have the Sennheiser HD 598's and a Microsoft webcam/mic combo on top of my monitor. They're about two or three feet from each other.When skyping with friends they have occasionally commented that they can hear the game I'm playing. But they're wonderful headphones. The best near-audiophile grade set you can get for the price in my humble and very biased opinion.
I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 518 for $79, and I'm super happy with them! :)
I've given the HD 518's about a 30 minute listen so far. They do seem somewhat more bassy. And, I don't know if there's a correct audio term for it, but "louder"? Like... they sound like what I think my HD 598's would sound like if they had an amp. Maybe the sound is just colored more than the classically neutral HD 598's. With EQ settings, I can force a lot of punchy bass out of the HD 518's so far. Even with the HD 598's using the same setting it feels "muted" for lack...
PurpleAngel probably means the CALs are uncomfortable pressed against your head for too long. Some headphones are like putting your head in a clamp, so your ears get sore.
Well that looks cool and all but the Sennheiser HD 518s have already shipped. :P
Yes and it's incredibly distorting.
Well I do have a Xonar Essence STX. It's a good sound card and it has a built in amp. I've never needed to bump the setting up from normal, though. My headphones are only 50ohms.
I'm not exactly strapped for cash, but I am also saving my money for something else. So price is only an artificial issue. I don't see myself needing anything better than my HD 598 for a couple years. So I ordered the HD 518, and I'm just going to give it a try. I like listening to similar headphones for comparison anyway, get a feel for them. If I REALLY don't want them, I know someone I can give them to as a gift.
I don't know much about amps, never having had one myself. I drive my headphones with a Xonar Essence STX, which has one built in. But if you just want a cheap amp, the FiiO series seems to be very popular as a starting amp. I don't know if you'd ever need more. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=fiio%20headphone%20amp&sprefix=fiio+he%2Celectronics The E6 looks decent, but I can't say for sure.
150 ohms is pretty high. Your smartphone might have trouble driving those headphones. Even your PC might have trouble unless your soundcard has a dedicated amp. Most headphones have an impedance of less than 64 ohms, which most systems can drive fine. Anything after that, it might sound a lot "quieter" to you.