or Connect

Posts by Royal Amethyst

So my best bet is to just wait for that one?
So Hifimdiy uses the same DAC chip as the ODAC, but cheaper than finding a O2/ODAC combo? I would preferably like to keep it in as few boxes or devices as possible...
No, no, I absolutely am not getting any more headphones. I have way too many. I just want a solid-state, neutral source and amp. I already have the relatively flat HD 600.
So my setup is currently using using the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and a Schiit Valhalla 2 for my beyerdynamic T1s, DT 770 Pro, and soon, E-MU Ebony. But I also have the Sennheiser HD 600 as a reference set. They're my "I want things analytical" headphones. But tube amps tend to color the sound and make things a bit warm, don't they? I'm kind of looking for a dac/amp combo that would make my the exact sound recorded be the exact sound played. Neutral, analytical, sterile, boring...
I gamed with the Sennheiser HD 598 for 3 years, and it's definitely got an open and clear sound that really brings the atmosphere in. I was also using a Xonar Essence STX, so there was probably some good surround-to-stereo processing going on too. But the HD 598 will disappoint you if you're expecting loud, boomy explosions. There's not a lot of bass impact.
Thanks everyone! I went with the E-MU Ebony and got in on the drop. :) I'm super excited to try them out, but I'm most likely not going to get them before Christmas.
 Well for $20 I could upgrade to the Ebony or Rosewood E-MU cups, which I hear are also great.
 That's more or less what I've come up with as well. TH-X00 has more bass, but the E-MU has better soundstage. Also reading through the comments of the people who received their TH-X00s, there's a lot of quality control issues with the construction. I think I'd rather trust E-MU, who has Creative backing them. At the expense of some bass. Still, I hope it'd be more impressive than the DT 770, right?Shame that it's about $100 more than the TH-X00.
So I've been playing around with the idea for a while, and I think it's time for me to settle on a pair of "fun sounding" phones that'll fit my desires the best. Something that emphasizes bass a lot, while remaining tight, controlled, and quality. Also having the minimum possible sacrifice to the mids. For starters here's a list of a few of the headphones that I already have:   beyerdynamic T1 beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm Sennheiser HD 600   As for what I listen...
Amazon has the original AKG K240 headphones for around $50 right now. They're pretty popular as inexpensive reference and studio monitors.