or Connect

Posts by Royal Amethyst

Might need you to ELI5 that for me. Do you mean the way the onboard might process the digital surround sound might be really crappy? Like, bad sound positioning and stuff?
 Well as long as there's no performance hit. Cause the CPU will pick up any of the slack that the sound card can't handle for sound processing.  The CPU will only process sound if it's using the onboard sound. The motherboard's integrated sound uses the main CPU for sound processing, where a dedicated sound card like my STX handles all sound processing on its own chip, taking some of the processing load off the main CPU. That was my main question about performance. A...
I certainly could, but that would mean testing onboard via optical versus STX via coaxial, and I feel like that's not a very objective test. I don't feel like buying the DG just to test it against my onboard. Also, I have been considering downsizing my PC to a mini-ITX form factor, and that would kill any extra PCI and PCI-Express slots for a sound card. If I went that route, I'd only have onboard optical or USB options. So, all-in-all I don't know what I want to...
 Yes, I have. So you would recommend using a dedicated sound card rather than the onboard audio when all I'm using it for processing surround sound for movies and games and the toslink output?Also do you know the answer to my questions 1 and 2?
Welcome to the forum, 53Brandon! Best thing to keep in mind as you find yourself posting here is to keep your hand firmly on your back pocket or we'll likely have you convinced to extend a $200 headphone budget to a $800 headphone, amp, and dac budget over the course of a few suggestive posts. I think you should probably make separate threads for each of your issues unless a few of them are similar, then you can combine them into one. Just keep in mind that these threads...
So my audio equipment just went from this:   Sennheiser HD 600 Xonar Essence STX   To this:   beyerdynamic T1 Sennheiser HD 600 Schiit Modi 2 Uber Schiit Valhalla 2   I'm wondering now if I should try to sell my Essence STX for some cash and use the onboard's toslink or just get a really cheap Xonar DG to process the surround sound for gaming and output via optical.   My options are this:   1) Keep the Essence STX and use its coaxial port to output to the...
Since a sound card is basically an internal DAC (and sometimes has an amp), you don't need a sound card at all if you're getting an external DAC. However, many people keep the sound device in their PC because it has a coaxial or optical port to connect to the external DAC. This gives you the benefit of having surround sound positioning in some sources processed for gaming or movies on the PC and ported out to your DAC/amp and finally headphones. O2/ODAC combos are fairly...
It's said that Sennheisers are good for female vocals because unlike other manufacturers like beyerdynamic, they don't have sharp (sometimes considered harsh) treble and higher registers. On my Sennheiser HD 600's, female vocals sound great. Of course, I'm listening more to opera symphonies from Mozart than your vocalists.
Okay, I'm starting to seriously consider just getting the Modi 2 Uber and the Valhalla 2, and finding something to put next to the Modi 2 Uber to allow the Valhalla 2 to stack on it. I'm just seeing no reason to get the Bifrost right now. Unless you guys think I should invest in the better DAC instead and just get a temporary amp? I am running an Essence STX, so I don't know how much of an upgrade the Modi 2 Uber would be over it.
Yeah, I kind of want a tube amp for the warmer tones it's supposed to give the t1. But I also want to be able to stack them neatly. Wouldn't be as much of a problem if the Valhalla 2 was smaller than the Modi 2 Uber. I can look around for other options too. The Woo Audio stuff is way too expensive for me right now.