Posts by phamkl

Oh wow.    This is going to be a bit to digest; I didn't even know about a bunch of these companies. Thanks guys - this is a HUGE help. That Definitive Supercube looks pretty good...
Thanks for the replies. That list is going to take some time to go through.    One of those 8" subs look pretty good.    Since cost and size are a concern I don't need anything mindblowing, but just to fill out the sound from two bookshelves. I guess my primary criteria is that the sub doesn't make the music sound bad.  Thanks for the starting point, guys.    Definitely not gonna do a grand for a sub :P
I just got a pair of bookshelves (newegg currently has a great deal on some Pioneer bookshelves - 85 bucks for a pair) and a receiver and I want to add a subwoofer to the setup. I like the aesthetic I have going on in my apartment so I've been looking for slim subwoofers that look like the ones that come with those home-theater-in-a-box systems. Obviously, those passive little sub "modules" don't offer much but I was wondering if anyone knew of active subwoofers that are...
After a while they can get heavy. I don't mind too much but that's because I don't move much when I'm using them, as a little movement and they can threaten to fall off fro momentum. I've been contemplating modding them to be lighter, but with the choice between a long (and heavy) coiled cable or a really long straight cable, there's no point in making them more portable. I've linked the the mod I was looking at...
I bought some Skullcandy Aviators for a friend. I like their sound and I don't think they're too masculine for girls. They have an understated cool, imo, and despite sticking for a set of headphones, they sorta blend into your outfit depending on what you're wearing.
How about cannibalizing some 3" drivers out of a desktop speaker? :D That earpro certainly looks like it has the space to accommodate. Could be fun. 
Not having heard any Grados to compare against, I'll say that I like listening to rock on my phones. The 440's are fairly neutral so it'll do all things well (or at least nothing poorly.) In my opinion, these phones are highly detailed and will shine through really complex guitar solos and will still bring out the bassist's hard work. Your cymbals might be just a bit recessed and the kick drum might lose a teensy bit of impact, but the rest of the percussion set will be...
On the go? Yes absolutely. That is, if you're going to go somewhere and then sit down in a hotel room or something.    These headphones are pretty cumbersome for use in a subway or on a plane unless you get about a straight 3.5' or so cable with a 3.5mm head and a 2.5 mm head. The stock wire, and the optional straight cable are both too long to take portable and anywhere you're in a public space with a lot of movement, you're going to run the risk of it snagging on...
    Is that right? I'm new to these forums but Hi-Fi has always meant to me, "high fidelity" which would be pretty concrete and wouldn't make sense with any modifiers. I could see it being "pure high end German" sounding, but I don't understand "pure high end German Hi-Fi" if it colors music with extra brightness.     
I think you might consider keeping the Bose set for the noise cancellation.    If you have the money to drop on both the Beats Pro, and the QC15s, you'd best look above the ATH-M50. I like them, but they're easily outdone for the amount of money you have disposable.