Posts by Magick Man

Not too new, really, this has been a common complaint in the audio community for half a century. The problem is, not everyone has unlimited funds to buy everything and test it, not even the larger publications (much less the little guys who are simply trying to make a basic living). So they rely on samples, even those that aren't giveaways, to get a good idea what's out there and how it all compares. Is there bias? Sure there is. Can you sniff it out with a little due...
These survived being thrown in a bag and hauled all over Europe with nary a scuff, good durability.
It would be, because I'm not letting him have the car back. The generous $28k offer is now off the table.
Don't ever, ever sell your car without getting it cleared with the wife. The guy who sold the 400GT did that, and now he has to deal with it. Yesterday he called up the garage, I'd given him a business card, all in a lather and wanted to buy back the car. The problem was; 1. I'd already went to the clerk and paid for TTT, ordered new bits for a few upgrades, and put on new Summer meat, all to the tune of almost $6000. 2. I don't want to sell it back, because I really like...
It's absolutely going into the DD rotation (gated shifter!). Oh, and the factory 0-60 times for it are pretty far off (7.2s), I was getting about 5.8, so it's quite a bit faster than most people realize, and I don't doubt it would easily cruise at over 130mph from coast to coast. No one over 6' really fits in the back, but eh, whatever.
$18,000 Ferrari? It sure is! At morning cars and coffee we saw this... umm... gem (?) for sale. I'd never sat in one before (it's a Euro `79 400GT with a 5-spd, carbed not injected) and I like it, it's like an early-80s Buick but with real power (340hp) and leather. It's very clean and tight with almost 45k miles on it. We had to get it. Yeah, yeah, the V12 in it is worth more than the car itself, but whatever. I love C&C, it's like shopping, but the people bring the...
The cars are being sold by different auction houses, on the same night, at nearly the same time. That's not a bad thing, either, but I'm guessing the reserve is at least $8M.
IMO, it's a first tier* collectible, meaning it will appreciate in the top 5% of collector cars in the market, with a prospective rate of growth of >15% YOY, due to the McQueen connection and its rarity. It's a very smart investment, so long as bidding doesn't go insane and top $40M+, which is possible when specific names are attached.(*Tiers are sorted by % growth, not appraised value.)
The more I think about it, I have a few racecars, but don't specifically collect racecars. Not to say it wouldn't fit in, I'm thinking about going back to the F1's original Warsteiner Gulf livery; but I believe there's merit to the idea that it should be in a museum. Not that it will end up in one, more likely it'll be socked away in some Chinese billionaire's garage, never to be seen by anyone in the West again. No, I didn't miss the 275 before, I've just been...
It wouldn't hamper the collection, just potentially put a wrench into my plan to move the operation to new digs. It's been a great year thus far in the markets and some good bets paid off better than we'd anticipated, but it would be crazy to expect that to continue indefinitely.