Posts by Magick Man

Maybe this one? (not even yet off the truck)
It's quite a pleasant surprise and I've grown to really like this little thing. It's robust, versatile, and sounds fantastic. Plus, the best part is I can use my favorite Android music app (Neutron), instead of relying on the often crappy ones integrated into most DAPs.
Ayup, I'm using it like that at work right now. You just flip a little toggle over to PC and it works as a desktop amp/DAC running on USB power (while charging the battery, if needed). If you need to charge the battery faster you can even plug in a second micro USB connection (either from the PC or a wall wart), there are 2 on the bottom of the unit, and it'll charge in half the time (while still being usable as a desktop DAC/amp). It's pretty darned flexible.
The cheap (or cheaper) option is the FiiO E18. I really like the muscle this little thing has on tap, plus it's very quiet and doesn't distort towards warm or bright, even on High gain (it has a Low/High toggle), it just gives what it gets. So much in audio is individual perception, I don't believe most of the crap that reviewers say, and it isn't because they're trying to mislead, it's just normal expectation getting in the way of perception. IOW, the most unreliable part...
Wait, WAIT! I'm checking out things with portable DACs and amps and have found out some neat things, and one smoking-hot value (an inexpensive portable DAC/amp that will properly drive a modded T50 and just about everything else I've thrown at it)..
He looks good for 51, even after 35 years of sex, drugs, and rock & roll. Strangely, I've ran into Bret four times in my life; two times at fund raisers, once at a car auction, and once in an airport. It's just a weird thing. No, he's really not that "down to Earth" but seemed like a nice guy anyway.
I love how people say, "you shouldn't post that!", then they quote you... really? (there's a reason for it) How fast would I drive? If it's for fun, as fast as I could without being "at serious risk". So it would depend on the car. As you know, exotics and high-end GTs are usually quite comfortable at 150mph+.
Umm, thanks guys, I think. I believe we'll just hold on to them, though we did hire security for the garage(s). Walked by one this evening and I was like, "Wow, he has a .40 cal and a 12ga pump". I hate that, but it is what it is.One issue is that manufacturing costs are so high in Aus, all countries with higher than average labor costs are losing their factories (unless the company is firmly based in that country and gets special tax breaks). New cars are much more...
Regarding things I've posted online, this is really the only place I've opened up to any substantial degree. I've even created alternate IDs on other sites just to avoid obnoxious behavior. Due to the near-fanatical quality of moderating here (that's a compliment) I feel more relaxed, so I let more things out, knowing that trolls aren't tolerated.At least the threats were only made against property, and that's why I have over the top security measures. I'd hate to have to...
It takes all kinds. Some people are very, very sensitive to treble, and that can turn them off to the HE-6s, which can sometimes get a little sibilant with some material. The STAX SR-009s are the same way, in fact I consider the HE-6 to be kind of a "baby SR-009" with a slightly rougher edge.