or Connect

Posts by Magick Man

I agree and believe your mod, and the Anaxilus mod, are pretty safe and can be easily reversed, but the resonator is a different kind of thing. With that mod you're actually removing factory material, and unless Sennheiser themselves are the ones to fully restore them, I'd never feel comfortable saying I'd perfectly reversed it. From its original, unaltered state, it's been compromised.
That's really about it, unless you want to remove the earpads and take out the little foam "donut" under them. I don't recommend it though, while it does slightly improve treble clarity and opens them up even more, it also can smear the mids and upper bass together.I like using these for gaming mostly, I just attach my Modmic and I'm set, they're some of the most accurate I've ever tried.Really? That's interesting. However, I've removed them from the 1st gen K7XX too....
I don't want to argue, but that's kind of absurd. In the typical vernacular, "Normal wear and tear" just means ordinary day-to-day use, and removing factory glue in the process of inserting a resonator into the driver housing is pretty much the definition of "compromising structural integrity".I don't think it's "playing it safe" at all, it's very possible the average Joe would botch the resonator mod. It's something that even I wouldn't take lightly, and I've modded quite...
I hear you, but again, that runs counter to what Tyll, whom I consider an expert in these matters, says:@15:20and it makes sense. When you mod these to such an extent (the SuperDupont Resonator fix), you're actually changing their structural integrity and they will not be as resistant to normal wear and tear (not to mention sweat saturating any cloth or felt used in the other mods). I don't believe he's saying they'll fall apart in a year, or even 3, but if say 20 years is...
Take it up with Tyll, he's the one who said it. Maybe you know more than him about it, who knows?
Even something as inexpensive as the Valhalla 2 really makes the T1 come alive. m9XX + Valhalla 2 is a great combo for 600Ω cans. It's no EC Balancing Act, which is the high-resistance headphone king, but it's quite an impressive value.
Most don't EQ, and buying a $1000 set of headphones just to extensively mod them is pretty absurd for most people (given the risk of damaging them is rather high and you will be significantly shortening their usable life). What Tyll is saying is, if you already have an old set of HD800s and have a steady hand, sure, but if you don't, just buy the 800S. I agree with him.If you can get a dinged-up set for ~$700, maybe $800...
I rarely EQ my headphones, most people don't, and others don't want to shorten the life of such an expensive device. Buying new, just to then mod them (voiding the warranty), seems counter-intuitive.
What Tyll, and other reviewers, are saying is: If you already have an HD800, and you don't mind modding and using some EQ, getting the HD800S is entirely unnecessary. However, if you're buying the HD800 for the first time, and don't want to mod them (voiding the warranty) and prefer not to use EQ, the HD800S is a no-brainer. Some of the mods are tricky, you can easily damage the drivers, and you will shorten the life of the HD800 significantly, even if you are successful...
He recommended the 800S over the 800 w/ mods, too.