Posts by ruleof72

Taking a trip back to the college days with this one:
Here’s an update on my new Beresford MKII. Now that I’ve had some time to listen to it with a few more familiar albums and with a couple of different equipment combinations. I initially had my wife help me compare the Squeezebox>RCA Output>Magni>MadDog Pro to the Squeezebox>Toslink>MKII>Magni>MadDog Pro by randomly switching between the two while I listened. I got about 70% correct in identifying the difference with the MKII having a more open sound with better bass. I...
The difference wasn't night and day but it was definitely evident. The Squeezebox has a decent DAC in it but I figured a reasonable upgrade might make a difference, which it appears to have done. I plan on doing some more comparisons with some different tracks over the weekend to see if the results are consistent. Hopefully dinner did work in the continued (audio-related) spousal cooperation department. One thing's for sure and that is she's not nearly the geek I am when...
Just got my MKII today. The box arrived after a 6 day trip and after a couple of hours of listening to the latest addition to my system I am very happy!   To try and get a fair comparison between my old and new setups I  took the RCA level output from my Squeezebox Classic to Schiit Magni and compared that to the  Squeezebox Toslink/MKII/Magni. I ran both inputs into a simple switch box and tested the levels using pink noise as closely as possible (they were...
I plan on using it on my main system but through the optical to an outboard DAC. I don't have any high res stuff at this point and don't plan on adding much, if any to the collection in the near future. I have PLEX on my desktop so I will probably try and get it setup with the WD TV to see how it works. My wireless is pretty good and I haven't had any dropout issues with the Squeezebox. I should have the unit on Thursday so I plan on spending some quality time with it over...
Yeah, for $50 it was hard to pass up. I should be getting the WD TV in a couple of days so I'll be able to give an opinion of how it works by next week.
I found a blog post where the guy tested the WD TV to see how it performed from the RCA outputs vs optical to an outboard DAC: MEASUREMENTS: WD TV Live - A look at (and listen to) the digital "low end" It's a pretty good read and he seems to do a fair analysis of it. Apparently, it does downsample to 44/48khz but I'm not worried about that. Bottom line is that it looks like the WD TV is a decent audio streaming device, especially when using the optical output.
 I did some research and decided to try the WD TV Play. It was under $50 including shipping. It looks like the optical output is plenty good enough for my needs. I will only be using it for audio. I have a Roku which we use to stream Netflix, Amazon, etc.  If I like it I'll probably get another one and "retire" the other Squeezebox.
I've done some research and it seems like I can run Logitech Media Server on a NAS so I'm considering getting one but I think I still need a "box" to receive the signal from it. Any suggestions for a nice,inexpensive box with optical out that can receive DNLA?
Well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later..One of my beloved Squeezebox Classics that I bought in 2005 refuses to power-up. The optical port lights up but I can't get the rest of the unit to do anything, even after trying the factory reset option. I'll still try to revive it this weekend but at this point it's not looking good.  It's a real bummer.   The good news is that my other Squeezebox still seems to be plugging along fine.....for now. So, I'd like to...