or Connect

Posts by jamesino

I currently have the HD 650 with the first-gen Magni/Modi combo and am looking for an upgrade. I listen to a variety of music, pretty much everything except for metal.   I'm not too concerned about bass, but I like to focus on male and female vocal clarity and presence.   Would I notice a difference upgrading to the Valhalla 2/Modi 1 combo? Do these two items work together? Do I need a longer RCA cable than the 6" red Schiit cables?
Is the first-gen Modi/Magni enough to drive the HD 800?   Would this be an upgrade coming from an HD 650 driven by the Magni/Modi?
I'm looking to compare two headphones (Senn HD 650 and ATH M50) while being driven by a Magni/Modi stack.   I am aware that louder volumes will sound better, so that it is important to make sure that the volume of the two headphones in comparison are equal.   Can anyone suggest an accurate way to do this?   If I place something like a Tascam DR-100 in between the two pads of the headphone and calibrate the pot dial on the Magni until the decibel reading matches, will...
Recently, the Xbox One controller made a change that allows the user to plug in a 3.5 mm headphone into the battery-powered controller and listen to games, music, movies through the headphone instead of through the TV speaker.   Can anyone recommend the best-sounding pair of over-the-ear headphones (either open or closed, but ideally closed) that would be able to be driven by the controller?   Edit: I'm not looking for a pair of headphones with a mic; I would be using...
If anyone has access to a flac or Spotify's version of Adele's "Someone Like You" from her "21" album, do you notice if her vocals are sort of recessed and not very forward sounding?   I have a Sennheiser HD 650 with a Magni/Modi stack and thought her "19" album sounds great through them. Vocals are very forward and very lively. But most of her songs on her "21" album sound a bit distant, especially her hit single Someone Like You.    Is this due to my equipment's...
I have a Magni/Modi stack with an HD 650. I listened to it about 3-4 times a week for about 30 mins each session. To preserve the longetivity of the equipment, is it better if I just keep the Magni amp turned on all the time, even when I'm not listening to it? Or is it better to just turn it on when I'm about to listen to something and then turn it off after I'm done?   I read somewhere that electronic equipment receive the most "stress" when they're being turned on and...
Thanks for the very detailed response; I'll have to read the first part a few more times to fully grasp it.   But in terms of my second question, does this mean that TV's have a built-in DAC?    When I do:   TV > RCA out or audio out > SMHL SA-50 speaker amp > bookshelf speakers   vs.   iPhone > 3.5 mm male-to-male RCA adapter > SMHL SA-50 speaker amp > bookshelf speakers   and if I play the same audio file, does this mean that the music will in fact sound...
I have a Magni/Modi stack and recently purchased a pair of Polk TSi100 bookshelf speakers (link below) and a SMHL SA-50 amp for them (link below).   Just out of curiosity, assuming I have the proper wiring and adapters, would I be able to drive the Polk TSi100's with the Magni? And conversely, would I be able to drive a Senn HD 650 with the SMHL SA-50 amp? I'm not sure how to interpret wattage, resistance, and etc...   When I use an audio line out or an RCA line out...
I have a Samsung flat screen TV with a 3.5 mm audio out input. I am looking for small 2.0 or 2.1 unit that can fit into my dorm room, but I am fairly new to home audio. I tried plugging a pair of earbuds into the audio out and I found that I am unable to control the volume with my TV remote if I select "external speakers" only on my TV. I can still control the volume when I enable both the TV volume and the earbuds.   Does anyone have any recommendations for a <$100...
I'm pretty satisfied with the HD 650, just hoping to squeeze a bit more vocal or treble performance out of them. (Are male and/or female vocals in the "treble" range? Or are vocals in the "midrange")   With that said, if I was to upgrade headphones, is the HD 800 the next step up? This would be too expensive unfortunately.