Posts by jamesino

What are the HD800 stock ear pads made from? Some sites say it's Alcantara, while others say it's microfiber. Are they the same thing?
I have a Windows 10 laptop and listen to music via Spotify Premium and Foobar2000. Do you recommend a software that provides system-wide EQ or individual plug-ins separately for Spotify and foobar? Any recommendations?
Not that I'm looking to purchase another pair of HPs, does anyone also own an LCD 2/X/3/4 and overall prefer the HD 800 to the LCDs? I understand that they're very different headphones in terms of sound signature and obviously different in prices, but it seems like most reviews I've read so far overall prefer the LCDs due to their musicality.
Thanks. Per your guys' advice, I'll upgrade to the Modi Multibit when I get a chance. Also, the first thing I noticed with the HD 800 was that I was able to hear the treble roll off of the tube amps a bit better. With the HD 650, the tube roll off seemed rather natural as it matched the headphone's sound signature. But with the HD 800, it seemed much more obvious. 
Just picked up the HD 800. Wow you guys were right. Haven't put too much time into them yet, but in terms of initial impressions, it does seem that the HD 650 sounds more involving and "euphonious." The HD 800 does seem more clinical, but the wider soundstage seems to do a better job of drawing you into the music.   One last question, is it normal for the two headphones to have different loudness at the same volume setting even though both are 300 ohms? i.e, if I have...
Thanks for the advice; the Modi Multibit is indeed something I was planning to get in the near future. But strictly in terms of the amp (BHC + Speedball), even though it's not ideal, will it still drive the HD 800 decently well such that I'll notice an improvement over the HD 650 (which is classically known for its synergy with the BHC + SB)?
I'm currently using Modi 1 > Bottlehead Crack + Speedball > HD 650 and am thinking of picking up a used HD 800.   I do prefer more of an "analytical" listening experience with more details in the treble and vocal range frequencies. I picked up a Grado SR80 and have been using it with a Modi 1 > Magni 1 and preferred the upper ranges of the SR80 relative to the HD650, although did not appreciate the loss of midrange. I'm not much of a bass head, and prefer nothing more...
 Thanks, you guys have convinced me to upgrade to the Mimby.  Dumb question, with either the Modi or Bifrost, it shouldn't matter how they are physically oriented on the desk right? I don't have enough room on my desk to place them flat, but I can stand them up perpendicular (so that the side with the inputs is pointed up perpendicular to the desk). This shouldn't damage anything or affect SQ right? And the Modi Multibit would be a fine pairing with the Bottlehead Crack +...
 Thanks for the answer. So even going from the first-gen Modi to the Modi multibit would yield a noticeable difference? Could you explain how exactly that SQ will change? Will the soundstage open up for ex?
I currently have a first-gen Modi 1 > Valhalla 2/Bottlehead Crack + SB > HD 650.   I'm thinking of upgrading the DAC to a Bifrost and want to explore used options via Craigslist. Could someone explain the numerous versions of the Bifrost? I know there's a first-gen and second-gen Bifrost, and there's the option Uber upgrade, Multibit upgrade, and 4490 upgrade. What does each of those upgrades do?    Will there likely be a noticeable improvement in sound quality moving...