Posts by nymarty

Is the cord attached properly? I remember when taking apart my hd580's that I had to plug the cables in so that the 'R' on the cable connector was facing out.  Don't know if that's it but worth a try.  The other question would be whether these are modded in any way.  What does the seller say about your problem?  
Have you tried another source, besides the computer?   Try connecting an iPod or similar to the Graham and see how that works.   If no change, try the Sennheisers directly to iPod.   Better yet, if you have a CD player with headphones out, try that.   Also, take a different pair of headphones and connect them to the Graham.  How do they sound?   You basically want to swap each component and cable out of the system until you find the problem.   I would be surprised if...
Upstream path makes sense.  If you really like the hd595's (they're great headphones) then keep them and work up the chain.   I thought you were considering getting hd600's, which may be more of a side-grade from the 595's.  I know my hd580's use the same drivers as the hd600's and are virtually the same headphone.    Besides, I broke one of the drivers which gave me an excuse to upgrade while I get them repaired.   Have fun.  Post what you end up with.   For me,...
I just upgraded hd580 to hd650 and, while they're not burned in yet, am really enjoying the upgrade.  I missed the Amazon sale but bought them on electronics expo and used a coupon code I found on head-fi called BOUNTII.   Got them for $350 delivered.  My recommendation, after doing my own upgrade research, is to start with headphones that you like, then go upstream from there to amp, then DAC, then transport (or music server).   I'm  looking at Schiit Asgard and...
HD-650's arrived today.   Burning them in now.  Will play with them on the Yamaha for a few weeks.  My short list for amps is now Schiit Asgard, Little Dot Mk IV, and Bottlehead Crack.  I also really like the Burson 160 but a little pricey for me.   Has anybody built a Bottleneck?   Easy, hard?  I'm worried I'll buy it, try to build it, and screw it up.  Then I'll be out the money and the amp.  On the flip side, looks like a lot of fun and a lot of value for the...
Thanks.   While pondering what to do about a new amp, I swapped out the old Sony receiver I was using for another receiver I had sitting around -- Yamaha RXV990.  It's a beast and sounds a lot better than the Sony -- much cleaner, more punch, less noise.  Then I started playing around with my HD580's -- replaced ear cushions and foam (they were kind of old) and then I decided to take them apart to play with modding them.  Big mistake.  I managed to break one of the...
Thanks.  From everything I've read, I'm leaning towards the Asgard.   I like the idea of vintage receiver because it gives me an opening to adding speakers down the road.   With that in mind , are there any headphone amps to recommend that can also be used as a preamp?
Hi.  Just getting back into headphone audio and built out my current setup from old equipment I had sitting in my basement.  The system needs work.  I decided to start at the amp and work up.  From a sound perspective, I like my sources to give me every bit of the detail in the recording and want the rest of the system to make it sound like music.   current setup: CAL Delta CD transport (or Macbook Pro) > Meridian 518 > Meridian 565 (used as DAC) > Sony Receiver...
Thanks for the reply. I like a dynamic, but clean, sound and hoping to get a little more bass from the 580's. I've been reading a lot about e Bifrost, but also looking at a DAC from Emotiva. It's only $249 but I've read mixed reviews. Anybody using Emotiva's DAC? As for amps, was thinking about Schiit Asgard but also looking af Bottlehead amps. Anything else I should look at in that general price range? Originally I was thinking of using an old McCormack micro amp...
Hi.  I haven't been around the audiophile / head-fi scene in about 10 yrs and just getting back into it.   The usual home theater stuff has been a constant but just getting back into 2-channel and, particularly, headphones.  I've unboxed some old gear and have cobbled together a system but it needs work.  Need some advice on first steps.   Here's what I have going on right now.   sources: CAL Delta CD transport (balanced cable out), Macbook Pro (Moshi Toslink cable...