Posts by briskly

^ That is in fact how ANC is implemented in cans, so no, the amp won't be helpful in this matter.
The Ultrasone Pro 900 is a very particular sounding headphone, as are most Ultrasones. Some people love it to death, I seriously recommend against them without a demo beforehand.   Beyer's DT770 is not really impressive even for its price. Pretty big, reasonable isolation. The significantly more expensive T70 is even less impressive, and more shrill sounding, given its higher price. Pretty comfy, both of them.   The K550 is a variable thing. First pair I heard...
Somehow I doubt a stat of all things will pound your head harder than , say, an audeze or something.
DT770 variants have a V-shaped skew. Hardly neutral by any means, though it does isolate fairly decently.   The DT250-250 should be fine from a laptop, though it's sonics are an unknown to mine own ears.   I don't recall the bass extension being terribly impressive, but the Senn HD280 was alright.
  All depends on priorities. Headphones I'd say are perhaps more detailed, and tend to have superior bass extension, but tend to fall way, way short with respect to linearity of FR and soundstaging. Furthermore, there's that visceral impact a speaker system will deliver that a headphone can never match. Earphones have their own boat of issues.   The M50 mids aren't that recessed though. They have a sharp, narrow dip around 4k or so and peak shortly after. These don't have...
That does remind me, what would cause there to be an impedance peak on the EX1k? Is that just a property unique to the cellulose driver, as I don't recall seeing that spike on other dynamics. Feel free to enlighten me if you may.
This I think is a fairly well documented aspect of this IEM. The EX1000 has a sharp peak around 5.5khz, give or take few hundred cycles, if you look at some measurements, such as this one, or this one here, or even that one there. (Please note the difference in measurement technique.)
I'll echo the Sennheiser 6xx sentiment, more so towards the 600 than the 650. While the 650 can dig deeper for more deep bass, the 600 isn't that bad down low and has more upper-mid bite than the relaxed 650, for vocal and synth presence without going overboard and being painfully bright, like say the Denons.
The ER4S was also kinda upper-mid emphasized. More than just a full sounding chain would fix.
The Westone 3 is the "fun" and colorized IEM in their lineup. Significantly boosted midbass and treble. The UM3x on the other hand is very attenuated in the treble, likely to avoid attacking listeners with treble spikes. The W4, while definitely more balanced than Westone's triple BAs, still has a more of a midbass boost than what I would find passably neutral (+4db, q ~2.3 @ 125hz).   The Shure 535 is lacking the treble extension and linearity to taste. Pretty even...