Posts by briskly

It would be helpful if you mentioned the other phones in your history, what you thought of them, and what you want in your next cans.
Have you looked at csd results that vid came up through convolution? Eliminates quite a bit of ringing, and makes the impulse settle significantly faster. Of course distortion is still a thing not so easily remedied, but even then, a fostex t50rp driver still performs admirably on the cheap. R&D is still a thing, most of those old orthos have been in production for decades. But if the internals are not up to scratch, what does that matter? Beyer's t1 frame costs a couple...
They also have the d5k/d7k and amperior, but not the really pricey, really needs a discount, but ain't gonna happen hd800.
Dakmart is probably where Sennheiser dumps refurbished cans, such as the Sennheiser 650. http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Headphones/c4_9_28/p9817/SELDD-SENNHEISER-HD650-HD-650-HEADPHONES-WITH-WARRANTY/product_info.html For 310. The 600 at 210, is quite tempting for me.
Musicians are usually careful to make sure that crowding of frequencies doesn't occur. Most music isn't making use of pink noise (poor dynamic range aside). Placing too much emphasis on any particular band of frequencies drowns out perception of the rest of the spectrum.Besides, the emphasized midbass makes music cloudier, and the notch in the upper mid range kills, hence the perception of veil. The 600/650 aren't super neutral after all.
-should work, but I haven't used the e17... -the dt880 is one of the nicer full size values IMO. SS is larger than average, subbass extension is also better than the usual offering for its price. Do note that like most other full sized dynamics, the bass eventually rolls off and/or distorts heavily before 20hz. I'd put that point around 30hz for the dt880, after which it becomes increasingly unresponsive to eq. Actually has good qc, unlike beyer's new models. -The dt1350...
Actually, the hd 25 does do subbass. It is more midbassy though. The amperior should be at the apple store, as that is where it was originally meant to be exclusive to. The Hd 25 is peaky, kinda harsh, the amperior tones the bass down a bit, and eliminates most of the harshness, but for about double the price. The dt1350 is afflicted with beyer's lack of qc on their teslas. Pairs can sound radically different from the other. Some are nice, some are funky, some are just...
Because on head-fi, the word neutral is like the bat-signal for objectivists. Has anyone else heard the paradox and the he-500?
Se535: not overrated imo, mostly because head-fi dropped that baby ages ago. Somewhat mid-focused and lush, extended linear bass, treble is kinda peaky and notably lacking extension. Not terribly detailed. Stage is okay overall, kinda average really. Um3x: warm, emphasized bass and midrange, treble is shelved as per westone's stage monitor approach. Don't look for air here. Small upfront stage, excellent separation of instruments. W4r: a more neutral iem, slight emphasis...
I don't know the dt660. The hd280 seemed like a well balanced can overall. Need some extension, but it sounded alright.The k550 has just enough bass if you get a seal. Of course, i' ve heard complaints from people with smaller heads. The k550 has that k701 upper mid-low treble emphasis, only more so. Throwing a wrench into this is that i've heard two different pairs, that sounded quite different. One pair was tipped up there and slightly grating, the other hurt my ears...