Posts by briskly

At least the Studio Beats channels match nicely. They are very well matched in their mediocrity. They are better than what the average newbie has to say about them.
Every IEM listed has its own set of weaknesses and strengths, and as ownership settles in, you just have to find out what you can put up with best. Except the Heir IEMs, which are perfect. That's just the FOTM talking, let's see how that pans out in due time.
Might I ask why you are in need of a low frequency generator? If it's only needed for the bass, the Hifiman HE-400 has some very low measured distortion in that regard (looks like 0.3%). Fairly sensitive. Unfortunately, having never actually heard it, I can't tell you about things like comfort, or how the distortion above 200Hz pans out firsthand. Costs $400 USD.
^ Not very immortal then, eh? Where did that come from anyway, I could have sworn HE posted that somewhere in a thread that is probably now locked.
I don't think any soldering skill is needed in setting up the crack bottle. Really high output impedance, so you would be limited to certain Senns, Beyers, vintage AKGs and the odd ER4pt. I wouldn't know whether the 650 is built to IEC spec though. The tube vs. transistor thing is something you will have stumble out and figure on your own, as the arguments have been done ad nauseam. I say solid state, as tubes tend to suffer in the bass, which is really not the strong...
It would be helpful if you mentioned the other phones in your history, what you thought of them, and what you want in your next cans.
Have you looked at csd results that vid came up through convolution? Eliminates quite a bit of ringing, and makes the impulse settle significantly faster. Of course distortion is still a thing not so easily remedied, but even then, a fostex t50rp driver still performs admirably on the cheap. R&D is still a thing, most of those old orthos have been in production for decades. But if the internals are not up to scratch, what does that matter? Beyer's t1 frame costs a couple...
They also have the d5k/d7k and amperior, but not the really pricey, really needs a discount, but ain't gonna happen hd800.
Dakmart is probably where Sennheiser dumps refurbished cans, such as the Sennheiser 650. http://www.dakmart.com/Audio-Home-Audio-Headphones/c4_9_28/p9817/SELDD-SENNHEISER-HD650-HD-650-HEADPHONES-WITH-WARRANTY/product_info.html For 310. The 600 at 210, is quite tempting for me.
Musicians are usually careful to make sure that crowding of frequencies doesn't occur. Most music isn't making use of pink noise (poor dynamic range aside). Placing too much emphasis on any particular band of frequencies drowns out perception of the rest of the spectrum.Besides, the emphasized midbass makes music cloudier, and the notch in the upper mid range kills, hence the perception of veil. The 600/650 aren't super neutral after all.