Posts by briskly

On online forums, the Raise Dead spell is common issue to all users, as exhibited here.
Just noting, the LCD-2 will officially take 15W@60ohms. Why you would want it to go past the threshold of pain, even for a transient, is beyond me though.     Tyll's result is interesting in that his HE-6 has an incredibly low sensitivity: about 77 db/mw. If this holds true for other samples, that could justify the use of some of the ridiculous power being poured into the headphone. On the other hand, KG was doing some testing on the Dynahi and found his HE-6...
I was selling it for about that price a couple of weeks ago, that exact ex1000. Funny how that works out.
HD25, for sure. Seriously durable, I might have tried to break these several times over a couple of years. Treble is excessive, but kinda obscured by the midbass. The earpads are kinda tight, though I never felt the headband itself.
To the best of my knowledge, the A5+ is a powered speaker. That is to say, it has an internal amp, but the x-over is a passive.
Flathead/EQ tweaker. I don't think its reasonable to expect a headphone to be perfectly linear on its own. But I find that a flat, full-range sound works best, even if I listen to mostly electronic.
That's a bass response I've not seen before on the HD800 or LCD-2. And the midrange too, DF or otherwise. Just so we're all clear on this, do we still assume the -10db slope on the compensated graph?
Nope. They can't. The hd650 has better bass quality, and still falls short and sounds muddy. Just less so. It's a problem ubiquitous among open dynamics. The ones that can keep it under control are the sole exceptions.  
Take a planar design and pump up the nether bass through and through via EQ. The distortion on the common dynamic driver in the bass region is such that any full sized headphone will sound awful muddy. Dynamics will always have that sort of hump going on for them.   On the topic, the d1100 I don't recall being that able with the subbass. Plenty of distortion, though at least it reached down low. The k550 had a murderous spike around 6khz.