Posts by briskly

His measurement gear is described here. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurment-proceedures-introduction-and-equipment As for what the electrical measurements show that is audible, I don't see what they show besides phase.
The nozzles are different? Do you still have both on hand to take a photo of them together?
iOS has access to much better, more powerful equalizers than the Android platform: Accudio, EQu, and Equalizer off the top of my head.   In absolute terms, speakers have a disadvantage and don't go as deep in bass extension compared to IEMs.
I remember seeing that the standard deviation of the human FR using a microphone at the eardrum was 1 decibel. The variation that we see in listener descriptions has more to do with acclimation, taste, and training more than anything else, IMO. If Harman can get a bunch of testers to hear the same headphone similarly, I doubt that head differences are that big a deal.
The bulk of energy is below 1khz, but the ear is most discriminating in the high midrange and low treble. The ear basically works out so that we hear equal energy per octave (pink noise), so on a spectrum most music would look tilted towards the bass.
That would yield 110db, give or take a couple db for manufacturing consistency. These measurements are usually taken at 1khz.  This assumes that he/she listens to music with 110db peaks. The Galaxy S4 is limited to about 1 volt output, which yields about 102db into the HD 600.
Diffuse field equalization was developed for circumaural headphones, but it is assumed that with the relative positioning of the transducer and the eardrum that canalphones that they would also resemble a diffuse field. As it relates to the graph, the graphs from Sennheiser are already compensated for the diffuse field spec, with third-octave averaging to make the graphs look flatter.
Dynamic drivers will do most things better than a balanced armature within the same frequency range, as a note. Balanced armatures can skew heavily towards the bass and put out plenty of subbass through the usage of multiple bass receivers and other techniques; this is critically dependent on seal quality. The nature of the sealed ear canal means that you don't need massive drivers to get good low-frequency reproduction because it is moving air in a very small space.
Like most other single dynamic driver IEMs, the impedance curve on the RE-600 is near dead flat. Adding 100 ohms of serial impedance won't alter the bass frequencies or the rest of the spectrum appreciably