Posts by fe2cruz

Maybe keep scrapping the sticky adhesive to see if there are screws hidden in that frame around the driver. Thats the where the screws are hidden on all the ATH electrets. With a popsicle stick or some other soft wood poker you could push all that black tar like adhesive without scratching the plastic. Hopefully there is some sort of screw fasteners there to open up the cups for you. Very curious about the dampening scheme and how truly vented the backs of those cups are.  
Anyone pulled these apart to see how similar the carbon diaphram or integrated carbon is similar or different from the carbon nanotube driver? I know the HAS400 is 30mm vs the HAS500 & HAS770 at 40mm. I've had amazing luck modifying my 400s. I'd like to experiment with as many of the JVC series carbon drivers as possible.
Just entered the club of electret ownership with an ATH-7 headphone and exciter set for $43US. I replaced the pads with cushy pleather ones from an XB300 clone. The bass quality did improve, but the headphones still struggle with any post 1990s synthetic sub-bass. I have them running through a solid state Sony STR D911. Its a hand-me-down cold generic surround sound amplifier. The headphones distort very easily past 11 O'clock and have narrow dynamics. I have bass dialed...
This is some great advice thanks everyone. I will ditch the aluminum and try some listening sessions with silica packets. I need to get more for my camera lenses anyway. Its been a humid summer. I tried other fabrics but the bass just always sounded best with the leather/pleather materials. Maybe one day I can find some lambskin or soft vegan leather to play with.    Have any of you tried Great Stuff Spray...
Heat control/dissipation in closed t40v2 project.  I was wondering how much heat energy most orthodynamic drivers create. It seems like most of the heat would radiate from my ears and body getting trapped in the headphone pads. Tight sealed deep pleather pads are great for isolation bass and soundstage but get really hot. I'm wondering if strategically placed aluminum throughout the foam inside the  pads would help reduce the heat? Would the drivers need some...
  I forgot about this thread. It seems to only come up if you google search rather than internal search headfi. I posted in the main full size headphone forum but I should have went here instead.  I could't delete the old post so here are my mods:   I have beyerdynamic DT250 headphones: 45mm drivers 250Ohms 100mW 97dB I sealed off the cup exhaust ports and covered the cups with acoustic foam to maximize isolation and tighten up the bass that was dark, overpowering and...
I have beyerdynamic DT250 headphones: 45mm drivers 250Ohms 100mW 97dB I sealed off the cup exhaust ports and covered the cups with acoustic foam to maximize isolation and tighten up the bass that was dark, overpowering and slow to release. After the changes they sounded bright and bass light on a low power amp. However, plugged to the headphone out of my Sherwood S-7200 solid state receiver they created a bass impact that moved massive air pressure. It almost...
Looking for more tips/techniques to increase the passive noise reduction without changing the Fostex cups or sound signature of the drivers. I've already found all the mods I need for the sound I like. Now I just want to get them as close to noise isolating as my Pioneer Monitor 10.   These are the cup mods that I've tried so far:   1. Thin leather inside grills outer most part of cup 2. Acoustic absorbing Foam over the leather 3. Speaker Sponge over the...
Thanks for the Tips! My ears take in bass better with the bigger round circumaural openings like those from sextets. The stock pads were too thin and on ear supra-aural for me. Probably fine for some ears but weren't as comfortable for me. Its not that I don't get the bass, I just can't crank it up as much as  my DT150 and SR850. Which in the summer can be nice to drown out the AC and fan  noise.     After another proper night with the Amp and t20v2 I've finally found...
I'm not sure if I should have started another thread but everything seems to be here anyway.   I just got into the world of Fostex Orthodynamic Headphones after hearing the amazing modified ones at the last LA Headphone meetup. I purchased a Mickey Mouse round pad/cup t20v2 on Ebay which sounded pretty decent stock. Most striking was how much more precise all the sounds were even without modification. No matter how busy and stacked a mix was you could still...