Posts by ayaflo

Suman,   I am sorry if I am annoying you but you are actually putting up completely incorrect information or information which just paints half the picture leading some to take wrong conclusions.   Impedance of an earphone doesn't tell you how hard it is to drive it. Impedance plus SPL does. If the SPL is low and the impedance is high, say 100+ohms, you might need an amp but if the sensitivity is very high like those of BAs, you are better off with a DAC because such...
Hi Suman,    I am not jumping out on you. Sorry if my words depicted such a picture . Just to remind you what I am saying, for a BA especially the high sensitivity ones like the Shure SE series which I have owned, a DAC is a better investment than an amp per se. There are already running at such high sensitivies, they would definitely be well off with a better chip at source. This is from my personal experience.   Regards, ~A
" in other words the higher the impedance the lower amount of power it needs , it means , a 16 ohm phone will require lesser amount of power them a 8ohm phone . " "you cant put a rusted iron rod and ask it to give you as much current as a silver wire , cuz that iron slab has more resistance and that silver wire has far lesser . thts why these guys use silver cables for earphones and headphones" Do you see the contradiction in your own statements?
" in other words the higher the impedance the lower amount of power it needs , it means , a 16 ohm phone will require lesser amount of power them a 8ohm phone . " Suman...Where did you get this from? This is wrong information. Please read before you make such statements.
Hi vaibhav,Dont be fooled into thinking that its only the BAs that have varying impedances across frequency range and this is why you need an amp...infact its a characteristic of impedance itself to vary across frequency range which all speaker types are subject to because they all work on alternating current.Chao,~A
Suman, do you mean to say I need an amp just for impedance matching? Just so you know if I wind a toroidal ferrite core step down, I can increase the load seen by the amp as a factor of turns ratio on the ferrite core. This will push up the impedance 10-20 times and provide dampening as you say to the amp while keeping the frequency response intact. Why then will I need an amp? This way I can match the load and the source and still have enough power to drive any earphone...
 I am not picking a feud here but from your comments, I think you either do not really know what is impedance or you are completely ill-informed; Or why BAs or any other speaker type have different impedance at different frequencies? Do you mean to say that varying impedance at different frequencies is the reason a BA needs amping? I would still ask you to read because you have a wrong understanding fundamentally. Impedance is the AC component of resistance of the whole...
  The very working principle of Balanced Armatures is its foundation of low power requirements. This is why most BAs have high sensitivity. I only know the SM64 to have a comparatively higher impedance among BAs. 
Suman.... SPL has nothing to do with amp? Are you serious? ... please read before you make such statements.
114db and you need an Amp for the se846?? Amps to run BA based IEMs are the most contradictory recommendations in the history of portable audio.... Get a better DAC for any BA earphones... they better the sound comparative to a simple Amp!!