Posts by moeburn

So my smartphone (Motorola Atrix MB860) isn't loud enough to drive my big headphones.  It's barely even loud enough to drive in-ear-buds at max volume on the subway.  And I'm no audiophile/connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure the opamp they used in the Atrix is pretty crappy.  If I think that it sounds worse than my friend's iPhone, then surely an audiophile would notice it too!   But this phone has an HDMI output, and it can transmit audio over HDMI, and do a display clone....
Never tried disabling on-board audio, since I use the front-panel ports occasionally, but I just tried disabling it in the BIOS now.  No difference.   I didn't remove the Audigy, but I tried out the motherboard's onboard sound.  It works!  It doesn't make a peep whatsoever when I turn the computer on and off, even if I crank the amp's volume waaay up.   So clearly the fault is with the Audigy. I'm going to be coming into $100 spending money soon (rent and food and services...
 No, the system is pretty good, I've got a radeon 5770 and an AMD Athlon II X4 620 and 4GB DDR3, enough to get me the latest games.  But I wanted quadraphonic sound, and my motherboard's onboard sound doesn't have a rear output (I use a second smaller set of speakers with a built-in amp for the rear two.  I know, it's an ugly set up, but it gives an advantage in games to have rear sound).  But that doesn't mean I have any money.  The only thing in that system that I paid...
 My Amp is on my desk.  And it has an infrared remote.  I am very capable of turning it off every time I sleep and unsleep my computer.  But again, my computer has a 10 minute sleep timeout, because of power-saving concerns.  I'll go to use my computer to look something up, or post a reply to a message board, or play a 30 minute game, or watch a 30 minute tv show, then I'll put it to sleep again and go do something else; end; repeat.  I end up sleeping and waking it over a...
  Would that really help though?  Because tomb implied that all sound cards will have this problem, to some degree.  The Audigy was a pretty expensive card when it came out (like 12 years ago), that would make me think that a $30 card would have the same problem.  Maybe the problem is not entirely the sound card's fault; I haven't tried it in a different PC.  It could be the combination of my sound card and motherboard and case and shielding that creates the perfect storm...
lowering the volume first is what i do now. but since i sleep and wake my computer a dozen times per day, i was hoping there was a better solution?
Every time I suspend, power off, or turn on my PC, my speakers go POP BANG POP, sometimes loud enough to scare my cats outta the room, depending on where I left the volume knob.  I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy and the regular old analog line out to my Pioneer amp and KLH tower speakers.  But I know it isn't the amp or the speakers, because at one point I had a separate amp/speaker combo plugged into the REAR line out at the same time, and it had the same pop-bang-pop...
So I've got this efficient 150w amp, and these giant towering black monoliths that are KLH speakers; they're good enough for me!  But every time I turn on or off my computer, the speakers make a loud "pop-click-pop" noise, that's loud enough to scare my cats out of the room.  It is obviously the computer's sound card's fault, and not EMI being received by the amp, because it only happens when the speakers are actually plugged into the PC's sound card.   But they also...
A long time ago, I once had a working CMoy.  Then it broke.  This is the 10th time I have tried to rebuild it (same parts, new PCB).  Either it makes this awful clicking noise 3 times per second, or I get the same volume that the DAP is putting out itself, or I get horrible distortion with the louder volume.   Anywho, with all this testing, I've been using a crappy pair of headphones and a very crappy old mp3 player to test it out, just in case something goes wrong....
So I'm migrating to a new room that is finally big enough for my giant KLH AV5001 350w speakers, and I'm trying to decide which amplifier to use. I am lucky enough to be the owner of 3 rather decent units that were given to me as friends upgraded their home stereo systems. The source audio is coming from my PC, using a very very old Sound Blaster Audigy 1 card. These speakers are large and inefficient enough that it appears I actually need to consider the power rating...