Posts by dysthanasiac

I use two instances of Electri-Q in a program called EnergyXTE. 
My EQ is still a work in progress.  I'm almost there, but not quite.  What's interesting, though, is the direction it's going.    (Top Electri-Q image is my left ear settings, bottom one is the right.)   When I was tinkering last night, the curve I landed upon stirred up a memory of the results of a simple hearing test I played with months ago.  I did not set out to recreate it; it just happened that way. 
It's a cliche, but just try out some stuff until you find what you like.  Neither the price you pay nor the opinions of others will necessarily change the way your ears respond to any given headphones.  I think one of the sillier things anyone can do is to take the thoughts of others, no matter how "experienced" they may be, as the gospel, especially with something as personal as sound.  Simple physiology dictates that we all hear things differently.   That said, I...
Without EQ, my HD650/O2-ODAC combination is unbelievably shrill and features a sound stage that closely resembles a gelatinous blob, despite the notorious "warm" and "dark" reputations of both.  That's just how my ears work.  With EQ - which is free and doesn't do anything I don't want it to do - I can turn that unholy mess into audio nirvana.  No peaks, no notches, perfect fidelity, brilliant separation.  It means I hear my music instead of my headphones/amp.
Maybe it's because my ears are, shall we say, unique, but I don't know how anyone can listen to headphones without a bit of EQ to at least somewhat tailor the sound to their personal HRTF.  Are a lot of folks just lucky and have ears that naturally "fit" a range of headphones?
My EQ (or "Say again?")     Believe it or not, this sounds great to me.  But, I still think it's funny, which is why I'm sharing it here.
  I have, indeed.  Along with the following picture, the so-called "Pale Blue Dot," they're the reason behind my interest in most everything.   [The edit is mine.]
Comments like that make me randomly fall in love for five minutes at time.
  You aren't kidding.  I'm currently trying to wrap my head around VY Canis Majoris.  Frankly, I don't know if I can.
Without the music, there's no need for the gear.  It's really that simple.   I disagree with the notion that a "true" appreciation of music requires the listener to go to great lengths to ensure that the sound one hears is reproduced as accurately as it was recorded.  While higher fidelity never hurts, good music, or even just music that has a tendency to stick to your ribs, transcends the medium through which it's conveyed.  In fact, if there's a sweeping generality...