Posts by mechamits

Just my two cents and it's entirely personal opinion so to the uninitiated I'd suggest trying out several free apps or the free trial versions, each app has different playback interfaces and aren't always intuitive and certain apps will dramatically colorize your music--good and bad.   For neutral sound I prefer Denon over Accudio and EQu personally, but I often like the increased soundstage that BBE provides.     Of special note, I had completely given up on...
Not a personal endorsement or anything as I know absolutely nothing about guitar amps but if you're interested in a locally made Bass Guitar amp or you would like to tweak an amp you already own, a buddy of mine is making these...       http://revvamps.com/Home.html
Nice, where did you source your cables from?, did you find those to be too big?
Interesting, never found my XB's to be lacking in bass but if it improves the overall sound I'd be interested in modding my 500's too, what's involved?, just re-cabling?   By the way, Hi fellow 'Peggers, I'll introduce myself, I've been lurking around Head-Fi for a while, mostly just daydreaming about what I'd buy if I won a lottery, I only have some rookie equipment myself, iPod Touch/ Fiio E7/ Sony XB500 and XBA-1, nothing too special.  I was contemplating hunting down...
I agree with RAFA, similar to my experience with the XBA-1.  I also agree that the XBA-1 is weak on bass but bass extension improved greatly when I amped them with my FiiO E7, bass level set to 2 or 3.  Even as a set of closed iems, the E7 helped broaden the soundstage as well, not hugely but noticeably better.  Not ideal that the XBA-1 NEED an amp to truely come alive but if you have an amp, try it out.
I agree with your review of the XBA-1, weak on bass and really muddy tweaking the pre-set EQ setting on my Ipod Touch to get more bass, but, using my FiiO E7 and bumping up the bass setting to 2 or 3 really makes the bass extension open up and fill in nicely.  The bass is there, it's just hiding and needs an amp to wake it up, the E7 also opens up the soundstage as well, not sure if anyone else has tried other amps like the iBasso with the XBA line and can comment?
Don't think this has been posted yet, but I'd like to suggest Tiesto-"A Tear in the Open" from a few years back, haunting vocals, textured flute, hint of cello and progressive bass, and a glass-like percussion which floats all over the soundstage.  
Props to FiiO, any company that values a good mix of quality and cost, even little things like using OLED screens and Oyaide wires, I appreciate that.  I like where the company is going, it looks like they improve and innovate constantly although it's a bit frustrating too, buy an E5, then the E7 comes out, buy the E7 and then the E17 Alpen comes out, and so on...  At least it keeps the field interesting and gives us cost-conscious Head-Fiers a good bang-for-your-buck...
Good choice, the XBs are very good and with an EQ you can tweak it to a flatter frequency response, there's another thread on here that went into some extensive testing with EQ curves, also if you ever get bored of them, pick up an Amp/DAC and they come alive with a bigger soundstage and more authoritative thump, or for a lot less money, there are a few apps on iTunes from Denon, JVC, SRS, and BBE that are fun to play with and can often simulate the effects you get from...
If you haven't already read Jude's Head-Fi guide, I would suggest you read it, it's an excellent concise review of a lot of the board favourites and big names in High Fidelity portable audio and will save you hours of reading numerous threads of debates on the subjective acoustic traits of said products... http://www.head-fi.org/t/618255/check-out-the-head-fi-summer-2012-buying-guide   I personally like FiiO's amp/DACs myself, they are good value for money and...