Posts by topperdoggle

Okay, the UE 4000s have arrived.  I haven't listened for very long, but I'd like to give my initial impressions.  Disclaimer: I have probably been spoiled in the past with SRH840s, and also probably forgotten just how bad $5 Deal Extreme IEMs are.  :)   I really like the comfort, and they feel well-built without being ridiculously heavy.  Israel is a pretty hot country, but I've been able to walk around outside for 20 minutes without sweaty-ear syndrome. Sound-wise,...
Ah wow, you know I was concentrating here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726275/lightweight-cans-with-good-isolation-for-listening-whilst-studying/15 because I'd be worried about losing good IEMs and I find the tips fall off cheap ones.  But I read this and for $29 with all those great reviews, I had to have a go.  If they are well-built they could be really convenient at times when headphones are just too big.Please, I seem to buy whatever you recommend - please stop!  :D
I just ordered a UE4000 and UE6000 from Amazon US for $158, including international shipping and customs.  I couldn't look past the fact that they are both heavily reduced from Amazon, and I'll sell whichever one I feel is redundant.  I think I did okay, in that I sort of resisted the temptation to creep up the price ladder until I was commuting wish some Tesla T1s.  ;)   Thanks to all who contributed, and I'm bookmarking this thread in case I don't like the sound...
Is there much of a difference between the UE4000 and the UE6000 in passive mode?  Also I'm not sure that I'd be up for using active NC - what's the 6000 isolation like without the active NC switched on?   Thanks for some amazing responses, I'm as excited as I am confused! :)
 Thanks for the feedback on the above.  I read a bit on the K450s, some people complained about muddiness and clamping (although 5 hours on a train isn't bad!!!).  I think I would like something with great isolation though.  HD380 Pro looks amazing but the coiled cable might annoy...  It seems that I'll have to compromise, and one set won't do it all.  I tried to rank Build quality / Portability / Isolation / Sound quality but I just kept changing my mind... I think I'll...
After browsing a bit on Amazon, like to know what people think of K550 / HD449 / DT770 / HD380 Pro for my use case.  Too large to commute with?
Thanks for continued feedback - I'll look at all of them - argh, too many options.... At least at the exotic end there are less to choose from... ;)   The DT1350 / HD25 look out of budget, but maybe second-hand.  Typical head-fi scenario coming up.  ;)  I read some amazing reviews of the HD25, said to have great isolation, apparently DT1350 and HD25 clamp quite hard, might be tiring after a while.  Also read that HD25 can be on the tiring end of fun, would appreciate...
Thanks both of you for the suggestions.  I couldn't find much on the Soundmagics, there was a suggestion that the build quality wasn't all that.  On the JVCs I heard that the isolation isn't all that.  Any comments on either of those topics?   My Googling on those two also brought the Sony MDR-ZX600 into the picture - grateful for any opinions.
Listen mainly to rock, prog, folk, blues country, fusion.  Like a presentation that has excitement, but also not fatiguing.   I had some IE8s a while ago, I thought they were good once EQd, but the isolation wasn't great, and overall I feel they were good but I expected more for the money.  Had some SRH-840s which I really enjoyed, but they're too big.   The use case is something that can fit in a rucksack (and leave space for books ;) ), preferably at the budget end...
I'll check them out, thanks.  How are the build quality and isolation?