Posts by yfei

3 tasks done, count me in.
 I updated, but found a problem (or I must be crazy) - With firmware v6, all music's pitch increased 1/2 note or 1 note.   I think it is due to playback speed is wrong.  I used a stop watch to measure playback time, I found the playback becomes ~10% faster.    (I didn't dig deeper, but looks like one probable bug can be PC is sending 44.1k, but dac think it is 48k, so there is ~10% difference)I used foobar2000 and JRiver  via WASAPI, ASIO, DirectSound  same issue....
 Maybe Lynx Hilo.       
From what I read and understand from PSA's statement,http://www.psaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PS-Audio-DirectStream.pdfThey didn't say PCM is bad,   they agree PCM 44.1k is good,   but how Delta-Sigma DAC chips playback PCM is wrong, those chips makes PCM sounds leveled, and lost details.Their chip (FPGA) converts PCM to DSD 10x internally, then playback DSD using 1bit delta sigma.      And they claim the end result is, PCM becomes fully smooth, and full of...
That sounds reasonable.   MSB is R-2R resistor ladder based DAC.   This is perfect for converting PCM to analog.   (But I don't know if R2R is good for DSD or not.)While most other DACs use Delta-Sigma DAC chip.    From my understanding, Delta-Sigma is good for DSD,  but not good for PCM.    That may explain why Teac DSD sounds better than PCM.
I am using Windows 8 64bit,    Hilo driver install was easy, and everything works immediately, JRiver can play DSD. I don't have to do any 'compatibility mode' trick.
My impression of redbook upsampled to dsd 64:http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/ranking-of-21-dacs-and-dac-configurations-and-why-chocolate-ice-cream-must-die/315#post_10172232In short, I can feel big differences.  The converted DSD is smoothed out in the highs, contains less information.  It sounds smooth, but not really natural.   So I still prefer 44.1k.People also did experiments of converting redbook to LP disc.  And the playback of LP sounds very different from redbook....
 Hilo is also highly regarded in Chinese headphone hifi forums.     a quick translation of the info from there:"- The only product that's similar (a little bit higher) priced, and offer same or better listening experience is Prism Sound Lyra 2.       But this is subject to personal preference,  Lyra is more emotional,  Hilo is truth.- External linear DC power and battery power will enhance Hilo quite a bit.       Such as KIKUSUI   PAN35-5- A good usb interface will greatly...
I'm in,   and I'd like to bring a friend. And if there is space available I'd like to throw in a laptop with Lynx Hilo