Posts by risenfallen

+1 for 580 (if bass quantity/money saving is your top priority) otherwise 780, can't love them enough 
PM replied, still available.
Due to housing situation, I have to thin out my headphones collection so I'm letting go some of the lesser used cans   Ultrasone Proline 2500: Would have kept these if my situation allowed, sadly I can't keep more than 1 open pair. In great condition, some light marks on the plastic only. The velour pads are practically new on these (they were changed a short while ago and I have not used them much since). Love the speed and details on the 2500s, perfect cans for Alt...
The HE-400 should make a great basshead can that have enough soundstage to spare but they're fully open phones. Best soundstage from a closed can I've heard so far belong to either the Denon D2000 or the Kenwood K1000. Unfortunately the Denon is discontinued and becoming harder to find while the K1000 isn't exactly for basshead. If you want to go the Ultrasone route, I've heard both the Pro 750 or Pro 2900 would be a safer choice than the Pro 900.
Ultrasone HFI-780 or Ultrasone PRO 900 if removable cable is a must. I like the bass on D2000 but still feel Ultrasones work better with electronic music. Be warned that these Ultrasones clamp your head pretty tightly but I can wear them >2hrs with glasses on without problems (it depends on your head's shape).
To OP: Get a pair of Ultrasone HFI-2400, they're great for Alt Rock and should maintain pretty much the same sound signature (only improved, say more controlled and extended bass and treble) of the M50s that you like. Plus they can be found for a very reasonable price.
K701 are quite special cans. I used them with an inexpensive Audio-GD desktop amp/dac and the result was great. They're a bit hard to drive (not so bad as the myth make them to be) and need a decent DAC but nothing crazy price-wise. IMO, if you get them to sound right to your ears (on any system) then you're good, system synergy may add the extra enjoyment but does not magically change the sound sig of the cans (but then I haven't tried a whole lot of equipment). And I...
I've briefly auditioned a pair of AE2 in an Apple store recently (first pair of Bose I've heard). They're quite good (better than what I heard people say about them) and if they had better build, I'd think they're worth the price. I also checked out the Sony MDR-R1, Senn Momentum and Amperior the same day. I liked the Amperior best, I'd actually rate the Bose higher than the Momentum and R1 considering their prices. It was just a brief session though and no amp was...
In case you haven't made any purchase, I have both the Ultrasone Pro 2500 (which is literally an open-back 750s, perhaps with slightly more tamed treble) and the Denon D2000. The Ultrasone are rawer, faster with in-your-face type of bass and pretty spiking highs (takes a long burn-in period to tame). The Denon has a more relaxed presentation, deep hitting and polite bass, treble is pronounced but not shrilled. Both are fun to listen to nonetheless, and have about equal...
If you want to stick with Sennheiser, I wouldn't say the HD600 is a bad choice, it's a great all-rounder. I love listen to the old Opeth stuff on those cans (I don't have the HD600 anymore). But as I said, you'd need a desktop amp to pull the best out of them. The only portable amp I've read to have good power and synergy with the HD600 is the Neco portable amp but it's out of your set budget (never tried the combination myself but that amp is really a powerhouse with very...