Posts by risenfallen

I've briefly auditioned a pair of AE2 in an Apple store recently (first pair of Bose I've heard). They're quite good (better than what I heard people say about them) and if they had better build, I'd think they're worth the price. I also checked out the Sony MDR-R1, Senn Momentum and Amperior the same day. I liked the Amperior best, I'd actually rate the Bose higher than the Momentum and R1 considering their prices. It was just a brief session though and no amp was...
In case you haven't made any purchase, I have both the Ultrasone Pro 2500 (which is literally an open-back 750s, perhaps with slightly more tamed treble) and the Denon D2000. The Ultrasone are rawer, faster with in-your-face type of bass and pretty spiking highs (takes a long burn-in period to tame). The Denon has a more relaxed presentation, deep hitting and polite bass, treble is pronounced but not shrilled. Both are fun to listen to nonetheless, and have about equal...
If you want to stick with Sennheiser, I wouldn't say the HD600 is a bad choice, it's a great all-rounder. I love listen to the old Opeth stuff on those cans (I don't have the HD600 anymore). But as I said, you'd need a desktop amp to pull the best out of them. The only portable amp I've read to have good power and synergy with the HD600 is the Neco portable amp but it's out of your set budget (never tried the combination myself but that amp is really a powerhouse with very...
What subgenres of metal do you listen to? If you listen to something like sludge, death and heavy metal then the HD600 is an excellent choice. But for power, thrash or black metal it could feel a little slow in speed and attack. You might want to consider the Hifiman HE-400 then. Anyway I don't recommend using a portable amp with HD600 but if you really want to pick up something in the $50 range, you can look into JDSLab Cmoy v2.3. The Fiio E11 and HD600 combination would...
Hi guys,   I bumped into a problem today when trying to connect my MBP to Audio-GD DAC/Amp via optical. So I just got a 2011 MBP running Lion OS 10.7.2. I've been using it with the Audio-GD via usb just fine for the past weeks. Then I decided to see if there is a difference using the optical output on the laptop.   Here's how I set everything up: I got a mini-toslink adapter connect the NXG optical cable to the headphone/digital out on the laptop and then...
Neco Portable Amp is your best bet. You can look around for a used V2 close to that price range (though pretty hard to find). Otherwise just increase the budget if you can for a portable V3 and you won't regret it. I've been using the V2 with the HE-400 and it doesn't sound inferior to a desktop amp. Very clean sound with plenty of head room and power.
I've no idea how the ODAC sounds as I've not tried it but from my previous experience with O2 amp, it may be a bit short for driving K701 to its full potential. And IMO, a DAC is really essential if you want to get the best out of the K701. If you want to look into solid state amp/dac combo, Audio-GD has several good value offerings. My old Compass Amp/Dac makes K701 sounds great with Pink Floyd, I'd imagine the new Compass 2 could easily surpass it in driving the K701....
For the $30-50 price range, I'd get the Panasonic RP-HTF600. They're good headphones for the price and can be driven by any portable devices. Keep in mind that they're semi-open though the sound leakage is not very noticeable.
  Those that are designed for portable use often don't need an amp to "start to sound good", it also depends on your source (what you plug it in, ie ipods, cellphones...). But some of them probably benefit from amping (that is to say, a good amp may help to get the best out of them - there won't always be day-and-night differences though). If you travel a lot, I'd suggest to just skip the amp.   From your music preference, I'd just pick the Ultrasone HFI-580 (it should...
  I'd go for the HFI-780. It's easily one of the best in its price range and does electronic music wonderfully. Plus it scales up well with the E11 if you plan to buy the amp.