Posts by risenfallen

I didn't like the MX880 while I had them (sounded veiled and uncomfortable to wear). I'll take the PK3 over them any day.
  I have not heard the Pro 900 myself so can't comment on how they fare against 750 but opinions on the 900 are quite polarized so 750 might be a safer choice there.   Another option is Sennheiser Amperior which you can get for <200 refurbished. They're excellent (bass, details and speed are great for EDM) if you don't might on-ear design and a pretty tight clam.
You might want to look into the Ultrasone HFI-2400 and Pro 750 as well, besides the Pro 900.   From my limited experience, the Denon D2000 is not fast enough for EDM though may still be enjoyable due to their great sub-bass performance. I would not choose HE-400 either (though they can do excellently with EDM) in this case because those are sort of picky in amplification (in terms of synergy and power) despite the claim that they can be driven by virtually anything,...
  Thanks very much for your advice on amping the HE-400. I'll see what offers I get then I'll make up my mind :)
Hi all,   This is an interest check for my HE-400 (not sure if I want to part with them yet).   This is the Revision 2 HE-400. I am the second owner, acquired these from another Head-fier around 5 months ago when they were like new with less than 10 hrs. I only put around 80 hours on them. I'd say the cosmetic condition is 9/10 (non-smoking home). Come with all original packaging + extras:   - Headphones - Pleather / Velour earpads - Stock Canare...
These have decent isolation, a tiny bit better than, say Denon D2000. There're many closed-back phones that can outdo them in this department though. But I have a small head so that may have something to do with getting the best seal. My guess is if the CD3000 and DX1000 can't cope with the noise then the K1000 probably won't do any better.
I haven't heard the Pro 900 but people have reported that they have recessed mids and piercing highs (can be cured with simple mods), bass is among the best in their price range though. So if you you're into electronic music there should be no problem, many people enjoy their Pro 900 with other genres as well, it's a matter of taste I guess. I used to have the Pro 2500 which is an open version and sound essentially close to the Pro 750, from what I read, some people still...
From what you described, perhaps the K270's sound does not suit you. I would suggest looking into the Ultrasone HFI-780 or Pro 750 if you want closed headphones with great bass, good details and soundstage and get an E17 which will serve both your portable and laptop setups.
  Definitely try them first with your friend's amp and see if you really like the K270 sound. If you decide to keep them and invest in an inexpensive amp, I would suggest a E11 if you mainly use headphones on the go (plugging in portable players/phones, etc), otherwise, for a laptop setup, E10 is hard to beat. Fiio have newer and better models like the E17 and E12 though, it all depends on how much you want to spend.
  You haven't described the sound sig you want. I'm guessing more texture and body in the low spectrum? Have you tried amping the K270? I haven't heard them but some say these are quite picky when it comes to amplification. Again, even if it's the case, the K270 is tuned for studio monitoring so they may not be "fun" and engaging enough for your taste. I would try amping them first with something readily available (say, plugging into a receiver) and see how things go or...