Posts by risenfallen

---
Hello, As title says, I'm looking to buy a pair of DT770 Premium edition in excellent/good condition (I think those are also referred to as 2005 edition), the ones with grey plastic earcups similar to those of the T70p. Prefer to buy the 600 Ohm version but willing to consider 250 and 32 ohm too. I'm not looking for either DT 770 Pro or T70p, just the DT 770 Premium. If you have a pair you'd consider selling, please pm with your offer. CONUS only for now. Thank you...
  The V2 is out of production and replaced by V3. These amps pop up once in a while in the FS forum here and often for a very reasonable price. If you can't find a used Neco amp now, I'd suggest to wait and save some more for the V3. Compared to other competitors in this price range, the Neco is too good to pass. But again others' opinions might differ. I liked the PA2V2 too when I had it, drives the K701 alright but Neco amps are obviously better and more powerful. Good...
Since you live in the UK, have you looked into the Neco Soundlab portable amps? They're available on UK ebay and are handmade by a seller named Neco. He has desktop amps too but the portable should fit your budget. They're quite good for the price and drive 300 ohm headphones easily. The V3 portable sound can rival those from low budget desktop amps (IMO) and its portability is a plus. I had both the E9 and the O2 and did not like either of them (both were gone in less...
For sale is my Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III amplifier (aka CKKIII or CK²III) in very good condition (the Silver amp in the photos). Amp comes with power cord.   I'm the second owner. The first owner bought this amp as pre-built. AFAIK, amp has standard parts apart from the volume knob (upgraded by me) which looks better and bigger than the original.   This amp is good sounding and will handle almost all headphones with power to spare (perhaps apart from those super...
Back to the original question, depending on what subgenre of rock/metal, for slower but weightier stuff like Opeth, My Dying Bride, Katatonia I prefer darker sound and better instrument separation (Opeth sounded awesome on the HD600 back when I still had them). For faster, more trebly music like power/symphonic/alternative metal/rock I tend to reach for Grado more often. Either way, if metal is your main thing, the HD600/650 will serve just right. If you prefer lighter...
Based on recent usage:   1. Grado RS2 (semi-vintage, blue dragon recabled): they have the most head time just because my music taste leans quite a bit towards singer-songwriter and guitar driven stuff. These phone are magical with guitar (I don't have a problem with bright treble, I think it certainly helps keep things energetic). Bass is sufficient and vocal is quite good on these.   2. Hifiman HE-400: paired with the right amp, these can be great all-rounder....
  I don't have any experience with the Q701 or K240 (there are also several variants of AKG K240 with different impedances and sensitivities) but if the Q701 is close to the K701 in both transparency and power demand then I would suggest using a different amp than the E11 if you want to get the best out of them. I used to own the K701 and it sounded congested driven by the E11. It was not terrible (especially if you switch the E11 to high power mode by both the inside...
IMO, it depends on the devices and how you combine them, and also for what purpose. If it is for use with an ipod/mp3 player I would say the E11 is not a bad choice (and it of course won't muffle the music) as long as it has enough juice to power your headphones. Some expensive phones do not require an expensive amp (think about more expensive Grados, yes they would sound better on a $500 tube amp but they also perform very well from a budget portable amp). As for FLAC...
You may want to look into the amp output voltage. The LD MKIII is designed for high impedance cans whereas LD MKI+ is for low impedance. SR225i is rated 32 ohm only so I don't think the MKIII is a better tube choice for Grado despite its higher price tag. Don't know about the other two amps you mentioned though. And I do notice a difference between tube/hybrid vs solid state even in the sub-$200 price range, especially some improvement in the bass and more pleasant overall...