Posts by risenfallen

IMO, it depends on the devices and how you combine them, and also for what purpose. If it is for use with an ipod/mp3 player I would say the E11 is not a bad choice (and it of course won't muffle the music) as long as it has enough juice to power your headphones. Some expensive phones do not require an expensive amp (think about more expensive Grados, yes they would sound better on a $500 tube amp but they also perform very well from a budget portable amp). As for FLAC...
You may want to look into the amp output voltage. The LD MKIII is designed for high impedance cans whereas LD MKI+ is for low impedance. SR225i is rated 32 ohm only so I don't think the MKIII is a better tube choice for Grado despite its higher price tag. Don't know about the other two amps you mentioned though. And I do notice a difference between tube/hybrid vs solid state even in the sub-$200 price range, especially some improvement in the bass and more pleasant overall...
I just updated iTunes today to the 11.0.3 version (Mac OS X 10.7.5) and noticed some weird things when using it with BitPerfect.   - Itunes will not automatically play the next song on the album. It just plays one song and then stop, I have to double-click on the next song to get it played. - Cannot fast-forward on track - Flickering signal when used with external DAC via USB (it seems fine with Toslink) - Cannot display the "Checked" column from View...
The SR225/225i is great with Fiio E11 on Bass Boost Level 1, I don't know about the E17 but I would guess it's more or less on the same level with E11 amp-wise. Otherwise, if you want to try tube, you may look into hybrid amps first since they are often cheaper and fairly easier to maintain. My Grados have great synergy with the original Millett Hybrid, Little Dot I+ is also often recommended (I have not tried it myself).
I would probably regret this but since I have acquired a pair of RS2 and can't keep 2 Grados at a time, my beloved SR225 ("non-i" version) is now for sale.   The SR225 are in excellent condition with all letterings intact and no cosmetic blemishes that I can notice. Sonically they're also in perfect working order. The adjusting mechanisms (gimbals/rods) still hold firm. They have never been disassembled or modded in anyway, 100% stock.   Headphones come with: -...
I'm looking for a pair of like new or slighly used (still firm, in good condition) Grado G-Cush (Jumbo) pads. Would prefer to pay less than Amazon Please PM with your offer including shipping to the US if interested. Thank you for reading.
Grado SR225 and Ultrasone HFI-780. Fun to listen to, not picky of source/power, I'll take either as my main phones any day :)
   x2 on Millett Hybrid. I have the MH original build and it does very well with both SR225 and RS2.
PK3, some say PK2 is not really an upgrade from the PK3. I have not heard the PK2 so I don't know how true that is. For electronic music, I'd stick with Yuin instead of Senn MX earbuds (livelier sound, better treble), the Senn have better bass decay and slightly rolled off treble that may benefit other genres though (jazz, for example).
I didn't like the MX880 while I had them (sounded veiled and uncomfortable to wear). I'll take the PK3 over them any day.