Posts by risenfallen

1. Headphones reference is very subjective. There are a a few gears that other people rave about that I never really get (one of those is the Objective 2 amp), but that's just my opinion and you have to really try to know for yourself :) I totally understand when you mention you'd rather do it right in the first place cause playing around is time/money consuming. One thing I don't like about A900X is that the wing system doesn't fit well on my head (and small heads in...
I used to own the Amperior not long ago and currently have the ESW9 so I'll try and give a brief comparison between Amperior and ESW9:   Neutrality: both are colored in presentation, not neutral headphones. Overall, the ESW9 feels warmer (more body in the mid-to-lower spectrum) and more laid-back. Bass: Amperior bass is quicker, livelier with tighter midbass, little decay, very suitable for electronic music (they're an updated version of the HD25 after all),...
I have seen lots of cans with 40mm driver that are completely around-ear whereas 50mm driver earcups may be smaller (think about Ultrasone Pro 900 vs their HFI580 model, Pro900 drivers are 40mm and HFI580's are 50mm but the Pro900 are sure more comfy and have better bass). Generally bigger drivers come with bigger earcups and better soundstage but that's not always the case. AFAIK AKG have all their newer models made in China now and Sennheiser does not have closed-backs...
I don't think the driver size has anything to do with comfort, it is pretty much the design and the cushioning materials that matter. As others have mentioned, the Ultrasone is great for the types of music you listen to but finding those made in Germany can be a problem. Have you looked into the Maddog headphones? They seem to have very satisfying bass quantity and quality although I suspect they might be a little slow for electronic music. Fostex T50RP (pre-tuned...
The Beyers often require hefty amping to show their true potential. Did you amp them properly when you audition them? I don't have any experience with Beyerdynamic headphones but according to most people, they certainly don't lack bass or clarity (at least for the DT880, which is often consider a detail monster). I believe the early Ultrasone Pro 750s used to be made in EU but I don't know if you can find those now, no way to know before buying. And I'm pretty sure EWS9s...
Also, if you intend to buy ESW9 off ebay (or even amazon), beware of fakes. I'd recommend buying them from an authorized dealer just to be safe. As far as comfort goes, I don't find their on-ear design to be a problem since the clamping force is just right for my small/medium head.
ATH ESW9 may be a good option, they have great bass for being such small cans, but if you listen mainly to electronic, I think either Ultrasone Pro 900 or Pro 750 (cheaper than the Pro 900 but should be close in sound quality) will be better as they have more energetic treble compared to that of ESW9 (quite warm, loses some details in treble). I'd avoid the ATH A900 and A900X as I think they have a weird upper-mids spike which makes the whole sound sig seem unnatural to...
Probably will be there, trying to get my friend in, too :) May also bring some gears if he's willing to drive us from OC.
Superma,   For those genres, I think the HFI-780 will serve you well. They have better attack than most Sennheisers so they're more suitable for rock/pop/hiphop. The Senns excel at jazz/classical, etc. I auditioned the Momentum (over-ear) at a store, didn't like them at all, many people do though. They just felt really slow and bass was not so tight. HFI-780 is really good entry phone for the types of music you listen to, V-shaped sound, great treble extension, good...
What's your music preference? Is it strictly for listening on-the-go?