Posts by BleaK

Saw these for sale. Seller is saying Amperex ECC88, but do they look abit funky?  
Never had this problem, what are you doing with your headphone?
 Cheers! Just spreading the good word! 
60's Fotons 6N6P in and have 10 hours of them. Some subtle improvements for sure, but standing out is a slight fuller lower midrange/upper bass. Really worthwhile upgrade for some cheap tubes.
 Exactly! 
 I seriously think that with Uberfrost/Valhalla 2 combo many can just call it quits and be extremely happy with the HD800.
 This statement is simply not true. You can get great sound with HD800 from some low to mid-fi rigs, the key is synergy. A cheap DAC like a used dacmagic, or a modi2/wyrd, with a Vali or Matrix m-stage sounds terrific for a budget rig that just north of 300$. Heck, even the Valhalla 2 goes for 350$ and has the best synergy with HD800 out of any amps I've tried. Now I just can't see an amp upgrade untill I'm willing to go over 2000$ (exluding tubes). It's not always about...
Have a pair of 60's Foton 6N6P and some 70's Reflector (I think) 6N23P-EV on the way, looking forward to testing and hearing some new tubes :) 
Cheers!   I tried JRiver for a while, but for some reason I always come back to play some tunes in winamp with the Maiko Wasapi.   Disclaimer: Maiko/kitchen-fu has stopped development for this plugin (happened a couple years ago really). The latest version is: 0.53.test.04, and are known working with Windows vista, 7 and 8.1. While the development has been suspended, the plugin still works, and sounds great! Enjoy! 
+1 Vali is exeptional value with the HD800. However the Valhalla 2 takes everything the Vali does up two notches, especially soundstage. I have around 50 hours on my V2 and it keeps getting better.Both amps punch way above their weightclass costwise in my opinion. I am actually wondering why Valhalla 2 isn't talked about more in this thread, it is a killer combo with HD800 and should be in pricerange for most who are looking for a great sounding tube amp for HD800.