Posts by thelostMIDrange

what can you say about the measurements these days? especially in an appreciation and not a mod forum... looks good !
check pm's please
lignum vitae is used to make mallets. a mallet is a wooden device used to hit other tools into the workpiece. Hence it needs to be tough and is a challenging wood to work with. It's also super oily, almost wet. One would think it would act in a deadoning manner. If the cup is too dead, will it accept the delicate vibrations of the driver? If I worked with that wood, i'd treat it like other dense woods and try and get it as low mass as possible to offset the density and...
back to basics. based on the information laid out by these experiments there seems to be a lot more happening in this place than one has been led to believe.......I don't know if its as simple as applying that particular frequency but there sure does seem to be something to it....
  water has memory, imprints feelings and possibly thoughts. say no to fracking        
grado's cartridges have changed over the years as well. You have a choice of vintage or new. As long as you can find original stylus, you may enjoy the older carts. which have less onion. The stylus matters and I've found a lot of the new inexpensive stylus are nowhere near what the originals are like. This is my experience with shure 97's and Stanton 881's when I replaced mine I had to go dig up original stylus' because the replacements were thin and uninvolving in...
I'm familiar with all but the speakers but it might get you there if you balance the cartridge choice with the speakers carefully, as you do. Because that relationship is key, assuming the amp is fairly inert sounding. For example, the ar/grado/dynaco combo was arrived at through many years of mixing and matching. It's not accidental! And so if someone went with the ADS speakers in place of the dynaco a25's, I'd advise against the grado because it's too present. The...
AR with grado black A pioneer integrated with phono pre from craigslist a set of dynaco a25's from ebay   oh, and short runs of 'repurposed' lampcord for the speaker cabling is fine ! and the old ADS L series, the 2 ways medium bookshelves are as good as 90% of the stuff available today.
well done diamond ears. I agree wholeheartedly that if you carefully design a rig and have a good set of ears and reference point, which you seem to have both, you can get a cd to sound real good.   and I also agree with the hassle of vinyl. I got things to do !   but I have to disagree on the expense because you can get a 500 table, a 50 dollar amp, a 100 set of speakers that will rival most anything in terms of basic sonic accuracy.   And by accuracy (These words...
while we wait for the pics, consider considering this.   would it not be a worthwhile endeavor to carefully develop a headphone that is specically designed to capture the best of an era. The pre 1990 era. Well, the best one we have so far is the HP1 and it's incarnations. The more distorted and resonating type of sound is a great one to pair with the early digital era say 1990-2000. That was a big blow to the movement but we are recovering well and learned from our...