or Connect

Posts by 333jeffery

I suspect my Gumby was defective. The treble was so bright that it was painful to listen to some recordings. These same recordings are fine on the Yggy. Hope this clears things up.
I sent my Gumby back, never could get the harshness to go away. Got an Yggy and have been in audio heaven ever since. Horns, drums and guitar have never sounded this good to me. But as said before, the rest of your system must be up to the task of handling what the Yggy puts out, or it's capabilities are wasted.
The Gungnir multibit definitely is more revealing than the DS Gungnir. So much so that I decided to go all the way to the Yggdrasil. Can't wait til it comes in.
I have a Zana Deux and HD800's. The recordings that sound bad have a bright almost metallic edge to them. They are also very loud, I have to turn the volume way down just to stand them.
So far, I have mixed feelings about my Gumby. On some recordings, it sounds amazing. Percussion and horns have never sounded so good to me before. However, other recordings sound so harsh it's almost painful to listen to them. These are recordings that were fine on my old Gungnir, even good sounding on it. I have 80 hours on the unit so far, and wonder if additional time will smooth out the harshness.
Have y'all tried the e288cc tube in your Lyr's? They work well in this amp, especially the Siemens. Crystal clarity, yet warmer than Mullards.
I was interested in a Zana Deux clone, but simplified if that's doable. Just let me know.
Glenn, can you build an OTL amp around the 6c33c tube?
After 50 hours, mine is starting to mellow out. The treble on the Gumby is a good bit brighter than on my old Gungnir. The detail it reveals is awesome, though, especially on guitars and voices.
Does the Gumby require much burn-in? I've got 40 hours on mine and it's still a little harsh sounding. My old Gungnir was nice and smooth after this much time.