or Connect

Posts by discombob

After careful consideration, I'm EQ'ing them a little for now and it sounds killer!!  The highest highs are there again and the mids aren't quite as prominent.  Higher resolution headphones like this are very responsive to minor EQ changes and A/B'ing a flat curve (just turning EQ on and off with no adjustments) in iTunes doesn't seem to degrade quality at all.  I've attached an image of my settings at their most extreme.. I have a few in-between settings for certain...
:)   And here I though the 325is was a little too bright and sold them... there is just no winning in this hobby!   I'm not sure why Grado decided to both shelve down the treble and boost bass on the PS500e so violently.  Seems a bit reactionary to the criticism of many people finding them bright.  Otherwise, I love these and (maybe) think they have more resolution than the 325.  The wallet hopes so, anyway!
Just got the PS500e... a little darker than the Q701, but WAY better imaging and resolution.  Textures and instruments sound a lot more real.   G-cush opened up the soundstage to near-Q701 width without the hollow center.  The PS500e has a well-defined center image.   Now to mod them to get some Grado-sparkle back... and maybe slightly reduce bass around 100-150 hz?
I love my PS500e for dynamics, texture and even imaging, but sometimes find it too dark in the upper treble with some recordings.  Has anyone attempted any modding of their PS500e yet?  I haven't yet had the time to soldier through the huge Grado appreciation threads, but some ideas:   - Reduce bass by 2-3 dB around 100-150 hz or - Mildly boost the treble between 3,000-7,000 hz for a more traditional Grado sparkle... without taking it as far as the GS/PS1000   I have...
 Indeed, nothing beats a good 2 or 2.1 channel speaker setup, provided you have a decent room.  I am getting more used to headphones with every hour that passes wearing them, though.
 320k mp3 truly gets very close to FLAC, but treble resolution goes down... sounds more grainy in the higher frequencies. Track dynamics are affected as well on recordings with wide dynamic range.  Bass often sounds a bit punchier on FLAC rips of the same track, but I can only hear these differences on higher end mixes with good resolution that take advantage of the dynamic range available in 16-bits of volume representation.
OK, finally got around to revisiting the fully open bass mod again.  I have an extra layer of dampening material under the Q badge to prevent the soundstage from becoming what sounds like unnaturally large to me (coarse microfiber in addition to the stock foam) and it sounds about perfect.   At lower listening volumes, I still prefer to use a 2-3 db bass cut on some songs to prevent too much SPL from making my inner ear muscles protectively twitch/flex, but when I turn...
In this thread, Woo 6 and Schitt Lyr (with the Lyr being the value-option) are also highly recommended:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/575127/best-amp-for-k701-my-wallet-is-generous/90   One thing I like about "value" is that less can often be more when talking about a specific match for a particular application.  It's more like a correct answer with no extras... of course, if the wrong value item for the application is employed, results can be worse than the scattershot...
Just started researching other threads... this one was pretty informative:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/432185/tube-amp-for-k701   They talk about how lower end tube amps tend to lack the expensive transformers required to keep an impedance mismatch from connecting directly to the tube (which tend to have high impendance naturally) from robbing all the power delivered to a lower impedance headphone like Q701, and that this "OTL" design is really only an inexpensive way...
So has anyone heard the Aune T1 with a Q701 yet?  I've tried to find a better value than the Q701 and short of going to the far more expensive HD800, I cannot even get close to how much I like these cans.   No, rather, I have been considering sidegrading to a warmer sounding amp that could possibly make them more dynamic and impactful to match their slightly pronounced upper mid / lower treble with source material that is less than perfect.  Currently running Nuforce...