Posts by discombob

Indeed, nothing beats a good 2 or 2.1 channel speaker setup, provided you have a decent room.  I am getting more used to headphones with every hour that passes wearing them, though.
 320k mp3 truly gets very close to FLAC, but treble resolution goes down... sounds more grainy in the higher frequencies. Track dynamics are affected as well on recordings with wide dynamic range.  Bass often sounds a bit punchier on FLAC rips of the same track, but I can only hear these differences on higher end mixes with good resolution that take advantage of the dynamic range available in 16-bits of volume representation.
OK, finally got around to revisiting the fully open bass mod again.  I have an extra layer of dampening material under the Q badge to prevent the soundstage from becoming what sounds like unnaturally large to me (coarse microfiber in addition to the stock foam) and it sounds about perfect.   At lower listening volumes, I still prefer to use a 2-3 db bass cut on some songs to prevent too much SPL from making my inner ear muscles protectively twitch/flex, but when I turn...
In this thread, Woo 6 and Schitt Lyr (with the Lyr being the value-option) are also highly recommended:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/575127/best-amp-for-k701-my-wallet-is-generous/90   One thing I like about "value" is that less can often be more when talking about a specific match for a particular application.  It's more like a correct answer with no extras... of course, if the wrong value item for the application is employed, results can be worse than the scattershot...
Just started researching other threads... this one was pretty informative:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/432185/tube-amp-for-k701   They talk about how lower end tube amps tend to lack the expensive transformers required to keep an impedance mismatch from connecting directly to the tube (which tend to have high impendance naturally) from robbing all the power delivered to a lower impedance headphone like Q701, and that this "OTL" design is really only an inexpensive way...
So has anyone heard the Aune T1 with a Q701 yet?  I've tried to find a better value than the Q701 and short of going to the far more expensive HD800, I cannot even get close to how much I like these cans.   No, rather, I have been considering sidegrading to a warmer sounding amp that could possibly make them more dynamic and impactful to match their slightly pronounced upper mid / lower treble with source material that is less than perfect.  Currently running Nuforce...
As popular as the wide-open "stickers removed" mod for AKG x70x series has been lately, the sound was unnatural to me as the center image became even wider and less coherent.  It also boosted the lowest bass frequencies so flat that it was producing an annoying amount of SPL on my ear drums with many newer hi-fi recordings that capture those frequencies well.  You would hear the upper bass frequency and then mostly feel it a moment later as a kick drum decayed into the...
I plan to come down from Bellingham... looking forward to seeing the Seattle crew again!   - AKG Q701; partially closed + internally foam-damped bass ports... now have more coherent center image and a little more bass impact - Nuforce Icon HD amp     My notes on what I need to listen to:   Hifiman he500 - good value and get the job done well seems to be the consensus.  "A more resolved HD650".   Beyerdynamic T-1 - the balanced rockers.  Woo WA2 looks to be the...
 This is exactly what I heard, and yeah it was tiring.  It was like my head was getting "squeezed" between the loud low bass and the additional detail up top, sort of like the sound was run through a slight compression effect.  I ended up with some low-density foam squished back in the ports after I ruined the stickers when I took them off. A better way to increase the bass to my preference (more impact around 100hz) and still have it sound controlled was to do the mod...
 I couldn't agree more.  I listened to a broken-in HD800 at a Head-Fi meet and thought it sounded somewhat better than my Q701.  I then realized I hit the price/performance jackpot with the Q and might as well just stop here unless I hear a lot of noise about another value leader in the $200-500 range. I'm not sure why some reviewers call the Q701 grainy or zingy, either, but then I rather enjoy a sparkly top-end.  I even liked the Grados I had, but they were absolute...