Posts by GoSUV

I made a startling discovery today and found that the triple-flange sleeves actually fitted me and sound the best. I've struggled with fit for the past few months, going back and forth between the silicone, foam, yellow foam and other 3rd party stuff like the monster gels and foams, and the Westone star tips and true fits, and they all either did not fit outright, or felt too uncomfortable.   I found the root cause of all this fuss was, the sleeves were not inserting...
Just grab the tips and twist it with a motion like opening a bottle. Don't worry about crushing the tips as they will slowly regain their shape. The nozzle is made of metal so it won't easily break like the old SE530 design.
What works for me when removing the tips, is that you just grab the tips, twist it like you are opening a bottle. Don't worry about squishing the foams into deformation - they will regain their original shape after a while. It is easier to twist than just pull - after you have twisted them a couple of turns, they will be easier to remove. Keep twisting and apply a moderate pulling action as well. After a couple more turns and a gentle pull, the tips will come right off.
If you have already tried the black filters on your SE846 and still found them too bright, then you have a fit/seal issue. I found the SE846's "memory wire" a hinderance as their rigidity will tend to pull the IEM's from my ear and breaking seal. If you have not adjusted them properly, the wires will cause the IEM's to unseat from your ears and break seal. Once you lose good seal, you lose bass. Try pressing on the IEM's to your ears lightly and hold them, and this should...
Ah I see. But at least it wasn't impedance mismatched? Like what you get when you connect the SE846 to a device with too high an output impedance, that all the treble is missing?
How does the Hugo pair with the SE846? I have the SE846 and am seriously considering the Hugo as well, as DAC/amp combos with low impedance are hard to find. Your first hand experience is appreciated.
This is interesting as I have the Shure SE846, considered a ToTL IEM but I'm finding using them with just an iPhone or iPod doesn't do it justice. A portable DAC/amp is difficult to pair with actually, due to the low impedance these IEM's run at. The advertised impedance is 9 ohms, but in certain frequencies it may go as low as 4 ohms. There are very few DAC/amp combos that has low enough output impedance to give it a good damping factor. I am seriously considering the...
I use this:   http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusbpower/   to provide clean USB power to the Director. Besides the upgraded performance, this also has the benefit of continuing to provide power if you disconnect your computer from the USB side (such as if you need to move your laptop to another location), and the toslink input would still work on the Director.
If you don't get any bass, it means you don't have a good seal. If you haven't had any IEM's before, or any Shure IEM's before, or even any of the Shure SE??5 series IEM's before for that matter, you'll struggle with fitting to get a good seal. I struggled for a long time with my old SE530's, until I found the right tip and the proper procedure to insert them fully before finally getting good sound. Since I upgraded to the SE846's, the struggle starts all over again...
Absolutely. 9 ohms doesn't mean anything. Certainly just a phone will play the SE846 loud, but it doesn't mean that the quality will be good. The 5 drivers need power to control them to sound right, and that's what an external amp will give you. Beware of amps that have too high of an output impedance, as the resulting damping factor will be too low, and you lose all treble frequencies. Component matching is always key.