or Connect

Posts by Coolzo

Spooky low-res Halloween tubes
It seems a few different people are using the Mjolnir (or another tube amp) as a preamp for the Jotie. I, too, can vouch for the subjective improvement that a superior preamp brings to the Jotunheim (volume control on Jotie all the way up, used as if it were a power amp) - I had good results using a dedicated solid state preamp in between my DAC and the Jotie, even.    If the Mjolnir works well in this type of scenario, I'd be excited to hear the Freya (which will be far...
Who thinks common multichannel surround sound is cheesey? *raises hand* I'd prefer to blur the sweet spot/disperse the soundstage with different speaker-spacing and less toe-in, long before I invest in a clunky surround system. Unless one is in a larger commercial theater, the side-seats are always going to be an auditory and visual compromise anyway, even with a multichannel system. The (original) primary purpose (of surround) is to spread the sound image to more seats...
Thank you for the impressions! A great read- now I can rest easy, and enjoy the Mimby for eternity. Maybe after eternity, I can justify the purchase of an Yggy :P To anyone who is "considering" or "thinking" about the Mimby, at $250... Cmon, just go for it.
I'd be interested to know! I still have to do the same direct comparison myself, as I've only heard the top and bottom Multibits independently of one another.
I've used my HD800 with my Murano Audio Class-D monoblocks before (IcePower based), and it worked quite well- in particular, it gave the bass a neat quality. However, it did kill off some of the fine microdynamics, compared to a class A or A/B headphone amp. If you want a dead-neutral sound signature, go for it. If you're source is good, it's worth a try at least. EDIT: I will mention, however, that I was using a Robinette Box (see...
The Modi Multibit is very, very good indeed, however with your setup, I reckon you might miss the higher resolution of the more expensive Schiit DACs. It's not to say that the modi Multibit is bad by any stretch (in fact, I'd say it's better than any other dac under $500 at least, resolution wise. I use it in my rig because of its price/performance ratio), but it does smooth over the very finest "plankton". One thing it does do well like all the other Multibits, is...
Definitely only intended for speakers, as the vidar is a traditional power amplifier. However if you really wanted to, you could use a Hifiman HE adapter, or another device known as the Robinette Box, to facilitate headphone use (just make sure you have a preamp as well! And don't use low impedance dynamics).
Sorry, the Robinette Box is not for sale.
What a tease!