or Connect

Posts by Madmollusk

I'm excited. It looks like Audioquest finally processed my order for the boost and Ultra Suede pads! (Thank you, Alex!) I'm looking forward to evaluating how these pads alter the Nighthawk's stock sound signature, which is just a tad too bassy for my preferences. Subtract a little mid-bass and add a little extra upper midrange (especially in the presence region), and I think the Nighthawk may hit a very elusive target, one that could possibly satisfy both audiophiles and...
When I think of brave, I think of that famous woman in Tenimum Square staring down a row of military tanks. Music Alchemist's behavior smacked of petulance. Figuratively speaking, he entered our high-end audio shop (our shop of thoughtful opinions) with a bat and started to smash up the place because he didn't like his latest purchase. Very anti-social. A less trollish lad might have explained his grievances with the Nighthawk with a little more restraint, and then asked...
This is a great point. I read somewhere that some folks possess inner-ear structures that can amplify treble perception by a good 6 db; this observation goes a long way in explaining why communicating headphone sound (objectively and subjectively) is so inherently problematic. I like to listen to headphones at 70 to 80 db, and if my headphones of choice emit extra treble, these combined factors (my shoddy ear-canals and the headphones aggressive treble peak) invariably...

Music Alchemist, do you still own the Nighthawk? If so, I want to ask you a big favor. Since we all know that you don't like the Nighthawk, I was wondering (for the sake of posterity and science), if you might be willing to put all other headphones aside for three or four days. Why? I'm wondering if deep cerebral acclimation might move your opinion in one direction or another? Now, I have no illusions, you'll probably never like the Nighthawk, but if brain burn-in has any...
 I was more taken aback than upset. Personally,  I think dissenting opinions are critical to an honest debate, and I heartily welcome all opposing viewpoints.  But if you're at all familiar with the ongoing American political fracas, then I'm sure you understand that "dissenting opinions" are often used with an assassin's monocular.  Nonetheless, I apologize for possibly overreacting to your post. As they say in the deep south: "It's all good in the hood." Cheers. 
My sensitivity to treble is fickle. I don't hear any harshness with the Nighthawk at all, and I can say the same, believe it or not, about the HD800. But most Beyerdynamic headphones (and many others) cause me tinnitus and headaches, so I have to enjoy this hobby with caution, which means limiting my listening sessions to about an hour. Anyway, let's not go down the semantic rabbit hole regarding post etiquette.  Thanks for your input. I sincerely appreciate it.  
I agree, all posts are welcome, but if folks with strong opinions are going to post highly critical, negatively charged impressions, they should expect a little push back. And there is a difference between critical and negative feedback. For the record, my post was critical (I was expressing my disapproval), and Music Alchemist's post was laced with non-critical phrases like “It's beyond my comprehension” and “it's not even worth bothering with” and “I hope I never have to...
Ditto.
Wow. This post was penned from an inkwell of the blackest negativity. If you had couched your criticisms with a few thoughtful qualifiers and caveats, I might have shrugged and conjured forth that popular platitude here on Head-Fi. (You know: “We all hear things differently.”) But, boy-oh-boy, you loaded your post with the most dyspeptic language. Did the Nighthawk swoop-up your cat or something? Or do you simply despise all nocturnal birds? I too “know what instruments...