or Connect

Posts by Madmollusk

Yep, and as usual, I stretched out the deliberation phase of my purchase for completely unnecessary concerns; btw, it turns out that the PM3’s sound-stage, though small, suites me just fine. I admit, the PM3 doesn’t project an open stage with holographic depth or anything like that, but the PM3, thankfully, still images well, and I can clearly differentiate instruments in bigger bands during even busy songs.  So yep, I’m happy with these cans. And as a bonus, I can finally...
For the last four days, I’ve been acquainting myself with the PM3. Usually, it doesn’t take me so long to adapt to a new sound-signature, but the PM3 doesn’t sound like any of my other headphones, so I’m struggling with its uniqueness a little.   More precisely put: the PM3 imparts a surprisingly wet and honey-hued sound. Many folks may be tempted to call these headphones “warm,” but I’m tempted to go one step further and say: The PM3 epitomizes warmth.  By contrast, the...
Actually, Tom Waits sounds fantastic with the Brainwavz Pads. But then again, he sounds fantastic with the stock pads too. Heck, I'm a little biased, but I have a feeling Tom Waits would sound great even through an old fashioned rotary telephone!
Day two with the Brainwavz angled pads: What a difference a pair of velour pads can make! I’m not sure they really work for me, but I can’t deny the truth: they have radically changed the Dt150’s sound-signature. In fact, these pads have fixed the DT150’s two most salient problems:  its wooly bass and dark sound-signature. That’s right, if you want tighter, punchier bass with the Dt150—if you want to hear more of its sub-bass response—then the Brainwavz pads will do the...
Ha! Sometimes, I think I say way too much and edit far too little. But mostly, I think I spare the delete key on my keyboard the furious pounding it so often deserves. Anyway, the DT150 deserves a few ardent evangelists. I really think that these headphones may be the most underestimated headphones on head-fi. Such a shame. 
Hey, Rob. I don't have the PM-3 yet (that should change by Wednesday though), but here’s my educated guess: the HD650’s should have a wider (perhaps a much wider) soundstage and a more prominent, but still highly focused, mid-bass response. Judging from what I have gleaned from many online reviews, the PM-3’s, by contrast, should have a slightly more mid-centric presentation that favors vocal fundamentals and overtones (I’m sure others will verify or falsify this...
Confession: Until the DT150, I’ve always preferred strictly neutral headphones or headphones that target the so-called “reference” junkies. Why? Well, until now, I probably couldn’t have articulated a coherent answer, but the DT150 has illuminated the issue for me.   Headphones that possess extra energy in the mid-bass frequently suffer from one or two problems that ruin even well-mastered recordings.   The number one problem: the mid-bass swells and envelops its...
I just read, then reread your post a dozen additional times (the part in bold in particular), and with every read, I felt more excited. Amazon is selling these pads for cheap, so I said, “What the hell” and I pulled the trigger. Thanks for the post Santa Clause—err—I mean Baycode.  
Sennheiser HE-60!?! I never knew these headphones existed. And you say they are a league above the HD800!  You've piqued my interest!  Regarding the DT150 sounding slow: I agree with you. They don’t sound any slower than any other closed-back headphones with a strong mid-bass presence. About the same as The Denon D2000 or Bower and Wilkins P7. Compared to the HD800, yeah, I admit, they sound a tad slow. But let me do some basic math here: I paid a paltry $150 bucks for the...
 Excellent! I can’t wait to get my hands on these badboys.