Posts by Madmollusk

Guys:   I highly recommend the Peachtree Audio - DAC iTx and the Schiit Vali for folks on a restrictive budget. After a little haggling, I acquired this modest setup for about $369.00 USD. This amp/dac combo has amazing synergy with the HD800. The Vali, in particular, is an amazing value, and I have no compunction in crowning this little guy the new king of budget headphone amps (at least in the context of driving the HD800). Yes, the Vali, imho, is better than even the...
Unfortunately, I already own the NAD HP50, and yes, I love those headphones, but the crazy looking headband and dubious build quality prevent me from using them on the go. I also own the Beyerdynamic DT 1350, which I love for so many reasons, but I don't consider them the most neutral pair of headphones. And if I were a betting man, I'd bet that the Beyerdynamic TP 51's have the same sound-signature, with added refinements, of course. That leaves the P7 and the B&O H6....
What a timely and useful thread! A few months back I purchased The Focal Spirit Professional. These headphones are amazingly neutral, dynamic and transparent folks. The bass is incredibly taut and impactful. Really, the FSP’s sound-signature is nigh perfect (I can't say that about any other headphone I've owned at any price point, including the HD800). But the longer I own the FSP, the more frustrated I become. Yeah, that’s right, I said “frustrated.” Why? Well, the...
+1
True! I should have said that they image exceptional well for their price point! Or that they were far superior to other closed-back headphones between $300 and $400 USD. The AKG K550, for example, or Denon D600 just to name a few. I wouldn't want anyone to think that these headphones were capable of competing with the likes of Sennheiser HD 800.  Now there's a headphone that blows me away with its imaging   Thanks Sorrodje.
The NAD HP50 are impressive headphones for their price point. They are notably warmer than the FSP, and at the same time, a little brighter. If you ask me, Mr. Paul Barton has sprinkled the HP50’s treble with shimmering pixie dust.  Despite these attributes, however, the HP50 is still a fairly neutral pair of headphones.  Overall, I prefer the FSP though.  No other closed-back headphone (at this price point at least) will give you more clarity and transparency. What’s...
You know, now that you mention this, I'm pretty darn sure that the ear-pads on my pair are breaking-in too. Initially, I could only wear the FSP (and the Classic) for about 40 minutes before the ear-torture would start, but now I can wear them for an hour and some change. I've only clocked about 40 hours on the FSP, so I suspect the pads aren't fully broken in yet. So, hurray!  There's hope for improved comfort.Jellofund.Regarding build quality: I was possessed by an oaf...
 Presumably, you're asking about sound, not fit. Sound-wise, the FSP are incredibly transparent headphones and in no way do they sound aggressive, harsh, fatiguing or bright.  Focal didn't shortchange the FSP on the upper-midrange, however, which sometimes can cause treble overtones. (But I don't find this at all fatiguing.) The Classic, however, has a more relaxed sound-signature, and by that I mean, the Classic has more bass depth and presence and less upper midrange,...
The cup sizes are the same, so both headphones sort of clamp and squeeze me in all the wrong places. The Classic is definitely built with better materials (much better actually), but overall, I prefer the FSP's sound-signature; it's so exquisitely clear and clean without ever becoming analytical. It's amazing actually. So many so-called neutral headphones lack warmth, but the FSP retains just a touch of warmth, which, btw, never compromises its neutrality. So if you want a...
The day before last, UPS finally delivered my Focal Spirit Professional, and, yes, I'm so happy, I could dance an Irish Jig. People, these headphones are amazing—amazingly neutral that is.   I heard all the talk, read all the testimonials, watched all the video reviews (there weren't many actually), and now I can testify to the jury, under the penalty of death: these are the most neutral cans I've heard in many moons. Are they perfectly neutral? Probably not. But then...