Posts by jhellow

I get that.  But in the old days,  Marantz Model 9s and 8bs, in every instance where I have used vintage KT77s instead of EL-34s the improvements were consistent and the choice of tube never an issue.  There are numerous articles from the period that indicate they are drop in replacements.  But you are right, there are differences.  In the case of my BHSE, Justin was not able to identify a tube related issue and never could specifically identify the fault, even after...
These are not Russian or Chinese copies of KT77s. They are the real deal.  But I am not taking a chance.  Justin seems fine with 6CA7s.  But I am going to end up with some original EL-34 XF2s if I can find a good quad.
Unclear what the cause of the fault was.  I had gone back to the Big Bottle GE 6CA7s to listen to differences.  Shortly thereafter, the right warm up light would not come on and output became non-existent.  I waited for Justin to open a spot in his schedule and shipped the amp out.  He never really could trace the problem and this week ended up replacing the main board.  I should have the amp back in a week or so.  Ended up upgrading to the RK50 from the DACT as those were...
Justin,   Please respond to my PMs and e-mail about the status of the repair of my BHSE.     JHellow
Justin:   Any diagnosis on what is wrong with the BHSE I sent back to you in May?   Thanks,   JHellow
I made my first tube change since I received the BHSE from Justin 18 months ago. I am running the unit with GE Big Bottles, 6CA7s. A very nice matched quad, that was a little low in output but very quite and I thought very transparent, while a bit light in the bottom end. But I was very satisfied. I am using my BHSE with the 007 Mk1s and a Wadia 781i as a source component. The BHSE sits on a BD Racing Shelf for the Source that floats on a Sony Esprit magnetic...
Thermal management has a huge impact on component life.  As the owner of a Rappaport Amp One, which used quality components and sounded great when it was functioning, even the best components fail faster in a high heat environment.  The PSU on the BHSE does not have the Rappaport level of thermal management problems, but clearly, Justin was addressing a perceived thermal problem with the PSU when he made changes to the bottom of the unit to provide more ventilation after...
The PSU gets pretty warm.  It needs good ventilation.  

Loan me your 009s and I'll let you know.  Seriously, the Fatboys sound very transparent to me, but don't seem to put much flesh on individual images.  Also, they seem a bit weak on the bottom.  But scads of detail almost to the point of being distracting.  This was with a Wadia 781i as a source, balanced into the BHSE.   JHellow   JHellow