Posts by ckhirnigs113

Quote: Originally Posted by shubhangam I got the E5 and a cheap LOD and wow.. the sound of the PFEs has gone way up! I have had the exact same experience with the PFE. I added the Fiio E5 and a LOD to my iPod, and the PFE is now a tremendous performer. This may sound like blasphemy, but I am really starting to prefer the PFE to my new Westone UM3X! There is some serious synergy between the PFE and E5. The UM3X sounds muddy when matched up with...
It's really amazing how much can change in just a few short hours, but I am really enjoying the PFE's with gray filters connected through LOD to the Fiio E5 w/ bass boost enabled. It is incredibly clear and surprisingly not fatiguing. I am really impressed with the sound considering the cost of these PFE's. The main thing I liked about the UM3X was their balanced sound that was easy to listen to for extended periods without fatigue. If these PFE's are able to sound...
I have gone back to using the gray filters with PFE. The sound is really great when I have the phones connected to the Fiio E5 + bass boost out of the LOD of the iPod Classic. When unamped from the iPod, I am eanbling the "bass boost" EQ. I don't get any clipping with the EQ because I have used mp3gain to greatly reduce the overall gain of my music. I find I prefer the gray filters with some sort of bass enhancer (either hardware or software) as compared to the black...
^^^I felt the same way when switching from the PFE to the UM3X, but it just takes a minute to become accustomed to the new sound signature. After the adjustment, I find all the details of the PFE without being in-your-face and fatiguing. I think the UM3X is unique in it's ability to resolve without being fatiguing. Well using the black filters on the PFE, the sound is more similar to the UM3X. The bass is still bigger on the Westone's, and vocals are still more...
I've done an initial comparison between the PFE and UM3X, and I've posted it in the UM3X thread. Here's a link to my post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ml#post5706381
To my surprise, I received my PFE's in the mail today. I have been trying to compare them to the UM3X. I've been going back and forth with the same familiar track to notice the difference. I want to make clear that I'm no expert on sound signatures or describing nuances in sound. I have had the PFE with the default gray filters installed, and I have been using Shure olive tips. I've been listening with my iPod Classic > LOD > iBasso D3 to do the comparison. I have...
Quote: Originally Posted by westrella I'm also using the Shure olives, which create a great seal & keep the PFEs in place. Are these the Shure olives that are made for the E2c, or are they the standard size that fits on most Shure models like the SE530? I had the PFE and I can't see how you'd fit the regular olive on the PFE stem. On a side note, I am back in the PFE club. I just placed my order for a second pair, after returning the first pair...
Well I have ordered a pair of PFE's for a second time. I returned the first pair before I got the UM3X, so I didn't get the chance to compare the two. I really liked the PFE, so I want to do an A/B comparison to see if I like the UM3X enough to justify the $200 premium. I will make sure and let you guys know how it goes. I am a big fan of the UM3X, so it will be hard to dethrone them. Sadly, performance/price is very important to me right now, so if I feel the PFE...
What is the timetable for the release of this amp? Also, is it to be a DAC/AMP combo?
Quote: Originally Posted by gameboy115 Can you tell me how does olive compare with comply tips coming with UM3X? I found all spectrum are muffled with comply. thanks I barely listened with the included short Comply tips (I haven't listened with the large Comply tips at all). I have almost exclusively used the Shure olives because I don't have any complaints about the sound or the comfort. I briefly tried some bi-flanges, but I felt the bass was...