Posts by jnorris

I just picked up on this thread, but it's obvious that the Apple encoders are injecting some subliminal messages into their AIFF or ALAC files, which is causing the differential in sound quality. Messages like "Never question that Apple products are the best" and "You cannot pay too much for anything from Apple"
OK, maybe I'm deaf... I used the following audio interfaces on my computer: iBasso DX-50 (USB) Radio Shack DA-710 DAC (optical connector) Steinberg UR-12 (USB) Internal Realtek ALC892 audio out The outputs of all these were fed (one at a time) to the line input of a Parasound PHP-850 preamp, and the tape out of the Parasound was connected to the line in of a Sony PCM-M10, which was set to record WAVs at 96K/24. I recorded a track from the Metheny, McBride, Sanchez...
After years of buying and trying and returning headphones from Martin Logan, B&W, TDK, Sony, Monster, JBL, and others, with prices ranging from $30 to $200, I found the MA750's. I stopped searching. These are the best.
I moved to SSD on all of my machines, laptop and desktop, even my wife's machine, and I'm not going back. I did retain the old HDD for storage though. I'm currently using the Radio Shack DAC, fed by the optical out on the computer, with the outputs of the DAC going to a Parasound PHP-850 preamp and the amp section of a MacIntosh 1900 receiver. The speakers are Martin Logan Motion 2's or RHA MA750i headphones (among others). The Steinberg UR12 (which is made by Yamaha,...
Thanks, Sattech, for all that. It was very informative. After reading about the Tascam and other interfaces I purchased the Steinberg UR12, but it turned out to be kind of noisy in my system. It's probably more the fault of my system than the UR12, but nonetheless it's going back to the store today. The UR12 is a USB only device, no optical, which is probably the cause of all the noise. I'm currently using a cheap Radio Shack DAC that is dead silent. I compared the...
On a PC I use Foobar. You can mount the CD, check the on-line databases for track names, rip to FLAC or MP3, then tag the tracks all within the same app.
Inverting the polarity of one channel is like swapping + and - on a speaker connection. Bass becomes diffuse and placement of instruments within the soundfield becomes less specific. Also, some people (like me) find the different pressures on my left and right ears uncomfortable. Inverting the polarity of both channels is helpful if one of the components in the audio chain also inverts the signal. I can't imagine how inverting one channel would be an improvement.
I'm thinking of taking the optical output from my motherboard and plugging it into a Tascam US-366 optical in. The specs on the Tascam say it's 192K/24 bit compatible. The outputs of the Tascam would then go to a Parasound PHP-850 preamp and then to the amp section of a Mac 1900 receiver which drives the headphones. Has anyone had experience with the Tascam when used in this manner, or perhaps can anyone suggest a better solution in the same price range? I am currently...
Funny how we all hear things differently. The 750's bass is just about right for me, whereas the original B&W C5 bass was massively overpowering. I can't believe that the series 2 would be that far in the other direction. Maybe you didn't have them situated correctly? They do have those odd-shaped tips.
Isolation depends on the tips you use. The RHA's come with a couple of sets of what appear to be Comply foams tips that can provide some very good isolation. My recommendation would be to try them out if an Apple store is relatively convenient. If they don't suit then return them.