Posts by jnorris

On a PC I use Foobar. You can mount the CD, check the on-line databases for track names, rip to FLAC or MP3, then tag the tracks all within the same app.
Inverting the polarity of one channel is like swapping + and - on a speaker connection. Bass becomes diffuse and placement of instruments within the soundfield becomes less specific. Also, some people (like me) find the different pressures on my left and right ears uncomfortable. Inverting the polarity of both channels is helpful if one of the components in the audio chain also inverts the signal. I can't imagine how inverting one channel would be an improvement.
I'm thinking of taking the optical output from my motherboard and plugging it into a Tascam US-366 optical in. The specs on the Tascam say it's 192K/24 bit compatible. The outputs of the Tascam would then go to a Parasound PHP-850 preamp and then to the amp section of a Mac 1900 receiver which drives the headphones. Has anyone had experience with the Tascam when used in this manner, or perhaps can anyone suggest a better solution in the same price range? I am currently...
Funny how we all hear things differently. The 750's bass is just about right for me, whereas the original B&W C5 bass was massively overpowering. I can't believe that the series 2 would be that far in the other direction. Maybe you didn't have them situated correctly? They do have those odd-shaped tips.
Isolation depends on the tips you use. The RHA's come with a couple of sets of what appear to be Comply foams tips that can provide some very good isolation. My recommendation would be to try them out if an Apple store is relatively convenient. If they don't suit then return them.
+1 on the RHA MA750i. I found the Shure 215 to be muddy, lacking extension in the highs, and congested sounding - as if all the instruments were on top of each other. All the sonic cues as to the space the instrument occupied, it's detail, and character. were mashed together and indiscernable. I came from the TDK IE800, whose detail and soundstage were magnificent, but at the expense of mid-bass - rendering instruments as being much smaller than life. The MA750, after...
Thanks for your thoughts, blazer.  I've listened to the C5 extensively and did not find the ear loops uncomfortable at all for long sessions once I got used to them.  I went through similar periods of adjustment with many IEMs that dictate how they are to be worn (Shure SE215, RHA-750i, Sony EX600 and of course the B&W), but eventually I got acclimated.  And I do hate memory foam...
I currently own the original B&W C5 and have a sort of love/hate relationship with them.  I love the clarity and definition of the highs, but I hate the horribly bloated, murky low end.  I have tried on many occasions to acclimate to them with no luck, they are just too bassy.  If I don't seat them firmly in my ear canals, the bass lessens but becomes indistinct.   My question is this:  Is the Series 2 enough of an upgrade to warrant purchasing them, or are they just...
Wow. HP's not even settled into his final resting place and you talk about Bose 501s. Can't a man have any peace? He might return just long enough to strangle you.
The Kenwood is nice as is the Luxman L-480.  I used to sell both of them 100 years ago.  I owned a Kenwood 9100 that was sweet.  The Luxmans were always desirable, but out of my price range.  I never liked Yamaha.