Posts by jnorris

The 425 is good, but somewhat overly bright, and although there is bass there, it's not really authoritative.  The 535 puts "meat on the bones" so to speak, and adds weight and depth to the bass.  I own both and use the 425 when I'm walking outside and when I'm playing my electronic drums, while the 535s are for critical listening.   One caveat - if your source electronics has any kind of a hum or buzz the 535 will expose it mercilessly.
Free is a good price - you could use it as a door stop or something.  As for a recommendation, and of the Pioneer or Kenwood integrated amps, or, to a lesser extent, receivers from the mid to late '70's would serve you well.  Pioneer SX-450, 550 or 650 receivers or the Kenwood KR-7x00 series.That one looks really old school, but this guy liked it... http://thestereoclub.blogspot.com/2008/07/sansui-210-receiver.html
B & O were decent, but more focused on form rather than function.  They had an issue with proprietary connections between components, too.  You pretty much were locked into B & O because nothing else would connect.     No receiver with a graphic equalizer was EVER any good!  That's when they started their quick ride down the tubes.  Just like cassette decks with dual bays and Dolby C.
I'm going to have to say that they aren't great products.  Ripe with low end op-amps, this was not the Kenwood of the '70's.  Nowadays $300 will buy a lot more quality than this on the used market.
Hah, and they're poppin' blood vessels to get those 4 watts out - puny little beasties!
I'm not so sure we are disagreeing here.  The Pioneer/Ortofon combo you have is significantly ahead of the crap that some people are buying to "re-discover" vinyl.  I'm talking about the people that are using cheap plastic "vintage" JVC, Aiwa, Sherwood, etc., turntables with $30 cartridges.  Or worse, that Ion USB garbage. I agree that a good turntable, cartridge, preamp combo is far more listenable than CD.
Early stereo amps and receivers gave you the mono options of playing the left channel to both speakers, the right channel to both speakers or the combined left and right to both speakers.  They often also gave you the stereo option of reversing the left and right channels.  Whether they called it Mono or not depended on their willingness to be connected with old technology.   Skylab is also correct about the FM tuning in mono mode, but it didn't have to be specific to...
Some cartridges are color coded, some are not (like the Grado).  Generally, red is right +, white is left +, green is right - and blue is left -.   If the issue changed channels when you changed the connections, the problem is not the preamp.  You might have a bad tonearm lead (from the tonearm to the cartridge or from the tonearm to the preamp.  It could also be as simple as ensuring the cables are plugged all the way in.
Glad you figured it out.  That flickering green light must be annoying, though.
That shouldn't be overloading the Art.  Email the manufacturer, that's what I've done with other equipment I've owned.  You usually get a good answer.