Posts by jnorris

I get that - it's a "Whatever-floats-your-boat" thing. To each his own. It just brings up memories of Bob Carver tailoring the sound of his amps to match some of the higher-end amps of the period. You're either committed to accuracy or not.
In my opinion, a tube amp should be a tube amp from input to output. These "hybrid" amps are only inserting a tube stage to add euphonic colorations to the sound. A "Tube DAC"? Yeah, no, I don't think so. Just because the output of a DAC chip is sent to a tube amp or buffer doesn't make it a tube DAC - it merely means that the solid-state audio from the DAC chip is softened or otherwise obfuscated by the tube stage.
I used to have a Kenwood KT-815 (an awesome tuner in it's day), as well as a Denon and a JVC tuner.  I sold them all due to the abysmal state of FM radio - sound quality, compression and commercials.  I hooked my Samsung Android device up to the amplifier and now enjoy Pandora at home.  In the car I have a 128GB flash drive with over 6000 hand-picked songs and albums that I have on shuffle.   The car came with Sirius, but the sound quality was the same as very low bit...
I agree with PhoenixG, and the important thing to remember was stated by Skylab when he said that 99.9% of solid-state gear is output-tranformer-less (OTL), but most tube gear uses output transformers - an exception of note are the amps put out by New York Audio Labs which were designed by Julius Futterman.  The question is, are the ill-effects of running a solid-state amp into a load equal to or greater than 10x it's designed specifications more noticeable than those...
Why buy expensive IEMs for use in a gym where the sound quality and detail will be lost amid grunts and heavy breathing? Buy a cheap set for the gym and keep the expensive ones for at-home listening. You also won't be kicking yourself when the weights get tangled up in the cable and yank the IEMs out - possibly ruining them.
Never underestimate the gullibility of an audiophile. I was recently ostracized at another forum. A forum member, who was considering spending $350 on new tonearm cables for his turntable, was told that he had to borrow or acquire a cable burn-in device to burn in the new cables. If this wasn't done he would only be getting 15% of the performance capability of the new cables. In a nutshell, I said that this was a lot of hogwash. My comment was "Welcome to the Enid...
 It was a joke!! I spent almost $700 on headphone stuff last month alone! My cardboard box is already so stuffed there's no room for me!
You're kidding me, right? 150 hours? That sounds like a salesman trying to ensure that the unit is kept beyond the return period.
I think the only ones making big bucks at audio engineering are Dr. Dre and the late Amar Bose - and both are more adept at marketing than engineering.
So sad to hear about someone so young being addicted to this hobby. One thing to look forward to is that the cardboard box that you'll be living in when you're 60 will be outfitted with a stunning collection of headphones.