or Connect

Posts by jnorris

Some cartridges are color coded, some are not (like the Grado).  Generally, red is right +, white is left +, green is right - and blue is left -.   If the issue changed channels when you changed the connections, the problem is not the preamp.  You might have a bad tonearm lead (from the tonearm to the cartridge or from the tonearm to the preamp.  It could also be as simple as ensuring the cables are plugged all the way in.
Glad you figured it out.  That flickering green light must be annoying, though.
That shouldn't be overloading the Art.  Email the manufacturer, that's what I've done with other equipment I've owned.  You usually get a good answer.
What kind of phono cartridge are you using? 
I honestly don't know.  I don't have any high impedance headphones to test.
What I use is a 10 ohm and a 1 ohm resistor in series across the + and - speaker terminals.  The headphone output is taken across the 1 ohm resistor.  This way the amp sees a nice 11 ohm load and the headphones are looking back at a 1 ohm load.  Everybody's happy.  Robinette suggests a 6 and 2 ohm series which will work also.  You have plenty of range in the volume control when you do it this way.   I would not suggest putting the headphones directly across the speaker...
Check out these links:   Rob Robinette's page https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneResistorNetworkCalculator.htm     ...and from our own forum... http://www.head-fi.org/t/421644/using-speaker-outputs-to-drive-headphones-and-what-awesome-results   Most of the headphones I've tested were low impedance, 50 ohms or less, and showed marked improvement from the speaker outs through the adapter.  I actually compared the frequency response of the amp from the speaker outs...
Unfortunately, people with low impedance headphones are not getting anywhere near the best sound.  The high-value resistors that all past and present amplifiers use, 150 to 330 ohms, negatively impacts sound quality significantly.  I didn't want to believe it, since the headphone jack is so convenient, but after listening through a simple resistor divider off the speaker taps I was totally blown away by the difference.
Look up USB DAC on Amazon.  There are a number of them under $100, but under $50 may not be doable.
BestBuy is selling out of the Dragonfly 1.2 USB DAC at $80.  That's a very good option.  A bit more than the $50 you wanted to spend, though.  If you've got an optical out there are any number of low cost optical DACs that can be used also.  Radio Shack used to sell one for $35, and Amazon has quite a few for even less than that.  Not hi-fi obviously, but good enough for starters.