or Connect

Posts by Skylab

Yup, the Kappa 5 is a great little speaker. My brother has a pair he uses with a Pioneer SX-980, and the two sound absolutely phenomenal together.
Oh it was definitely about the sound! The Kappas are nice enough looking but nothing exotic. They sound great though. The EMIT tweeter is still one o ft he best sounding tweeters ever made IMO. I still have my Kappa 6's. Next weekend's project is to set them back up in the basement and give the B&W DM-16's a rest.
Sold the CT-F1000, yes. It needed the idler tire replaced. I have a working CT-F-950 in the basement rig.Thanks! It is pretty heavenly The speakers are Pioneer DSS-9. A truly wonderful speaker. Kind of in between vintage and modern - 1982.And yeah, the SX-1980 is as big as it looks
Thanks man. The turntable is hard to see - it's just above and behind the Tascam (the tape decks that's on the floor).I have to keep things neat and clean at all times. Beyond that and I can do what I want within reason.
I decided to finally admit I just don't play cassettes much, and I play reel to reel tapes all the time, so I have now worked it so that I have all my man-cave decks hooked up all the time (I have a tape deck switcher which is under the Tascam).
It is hard to let it go, although the one I'm keeping is even nicer
Right, it's hard to tell from just the description of the 980 if all the caps that need to be replaced were, or not. You'd have to ask the seller. And of you buy a Pioneer to have it restored later, make sure you ask the restorer to replace the tantalum AND electrolytic caps
It really depends on the condition. However, if both were recapped, then yes, I would expect the 980 to sound better than the 3900. The 3900 has a little more power, since it was the TOTL of that series.
PM me and I will give you the guy's details. He has several more...The 3900 isn't as good sounding as the 1980, but it's a very nice receiver nonetheless.Yup, there are actually several...Tom B is the guy I got mine from.
Remember I am only replacing ONE of my 1980's with the 3900 My main vintage system will always be SX-1980 based. I love the 1980. But for the basement I felt having a second 1980 was just overkill and I'd like to put the funds into something else. I was able to get the fully restored and recapped 3900 for $650.LOL!!!!