Posts by Skylab

Totally agree. There is nothing bright about my SX-1980. It's not voiced lush or romantic, but it's definitely not bright. If it departs from neutral I would say it's just a very slight touch warm in the lower mids.And like you brother Moody, I also still lust after an SA-9800
I don't believe there is any sort of agreed upon definition for that as it relates to audio. It was during the 1980's that we first saw mass produced stereos that really truly sucked come into existence, and so typically I think currently most folk think of vintage as being 50's (the beginning of hi-fi) through the early 80's, and maybe even late 80's high-end. The real inflection point was when the stuff that Kenwood, Pioneer, Technics, Fisher, and others went from all...
Words of wisdom. Also try aggressively working ALL of the pots and switches while the amp is off. Cycle the switches on and off rapidly 20 times each, and rotate the volume control swiftly through its entire range 20 times. If you turn the amp on and it works well right away, then the issue for sure is that the pots or switches need cleaning with deoxit. That at least is an inexpensive fix.Otherwise, and please don't take offense, but that particular Denon just isn't worth...
Indeed, and it bet it sounds that good, or better!!! Congrats indeed...I love knowing another classic Pioneer will be in service for many years to come.
That's what I would do as well!!! If it factors in at all, the SX-1010 can probably be kept running forever, even if it occasionally needs work. The Yamaha has a significant number of uncontainable parts, and so it's a bit less likely to be relied on over the long haul, although of course one never knows.
Yeah but we KNOW they were not made in 2011, or any time past the mid 1980's. I know we debated a while back as to whether TFKN ever made a 6080 but I'm sorry I don't recall the conclusion.
OK that is SUPER cool. I need one!
I'm really glad to see Jahn posting again, not just because he is a great guy, but because I do not want to exceed his post count
Pioneer's dual-stage tone controls are just awesome. I use the 50 Hz / 20 kHz controls on my SX-1980 very regularly.
Very regularly, actually. My vintage rig gets used much more than my high end rig, which I assembled over a decade before I got into vintage. I simply like listening to music more on the vintage rig, although I enjoy my high end system as well.