Posts by Skylab

The "bargain" of that line, which has a reputation for being very good sounding, is the SX-850. It is where the parts quality took a notable stup up. The 950 can sometimes also be had at attractive prices. The 1050 and 1250 are totally awesome, but rarely cheap.
The SCA-50 is likely just better sounding. The SX-550 is second from the bottom of the line of receivers that had 8 models. I have a nice SX-650 which I use in the bedroom and it's fine for background music but it's not anywhere near as good sounding as the 850, 950, 1050, or the mighty 1250. That said, for $30, it's worth it just to mess around with
I'm not specifically familiar with the Gyrodec, but in looking at it, it seems like a very nice TT, and for $2,500, it had better sound fantastic! $2,500 can buy you a vinyl playback system that you might well decide sounds significantly better than whatever digital playback system you are using.
In spite of the 6SL7 having more gain than a 6SN7, the 6SL7 draws half the heater current of a 6SN7. So in terms of using a 6SL7 where the amp calls for a 6SN7, there isn't a danger of damage. Note that the reverse is NOT true...if the amp calls for a 6SL7, which draws 300 mA of heater current from the power transformer, and you insert a 6SN7, which draws 600 mA, then you could have an issue unless you know for sure the amp has the headroom to supply the extra...
I think the RCAs are a little better overall. But the GEs are pretty reliably quiet, IME.
If the platter won't spin freely with the belt removed from the motor spindle, and the speed is fluctuating audibly, the turntable is not working properly and needs to be repaired.
I have a DT-550 - LOVE it Very cool and very cheap, yes!!!
Yup, VPI ScoutMaster, JMW 9 tone arm, Benz LP-S MR LOMC cartridge. The Alabama Shakes album sounds terrific!
Playing Alabama Shakes
I think I have posted this before, but for those of you bargain hunting, these are actually nice sounding tubes, quiet, and true NOS/NIB... http://www.parts-express.com/6as7ga-ge-jan-vacuum-tube--072-612