Posts by Skylab

Much if that is due to the fact that here in the US, Brimar tubes are quite rare. One can find them on eBay, yes, but one has to be very knowledgeable first, because there are definitely tubes that are labeled Brimar that were Russian made, and were late era export-only Brimar tubes.That said, the Brimar CV1988 black glass brown base KB/FE (STC Oldway) are among my favorite 6SN7 type tube.
Well they are obviously not exactly the same I have only every owned the black glass ones. I have seen the clear glass ones online, but that's it.
Reasonably well matched quads of 6BQ5 /EL84 tubes aren't that hard to come by, although not super cheap. As for what to do when one tube blows, that's just a matter of how much of a perfectionist you are. At least replacing the pair for one channel is a good idea.
What driver tubes are in it now? If you have deep pockets, look for some Raytheon windmill getter 5751's
Funny thing is that very unit either is or was on eBay. Also overpriced. Thanks for thinking of me...but I would want either a fully restored unit, or to find one locally.
You guys know about this thread, yes? http://www.head-fi.org/t/410326/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here
The tubes in that eBay auction that was linked are absolutely UK GEC, not Chatham. Quite different.
No need to buy a new amp. If you continue to listen that loudly you won't be able to hear well very soon anyway.
Yes...it's the test result of a tester measured in plate current. I don't know what the standard in mA of a 5998 is but one thing those number mean is that the two sections are not that well matched.
This one for me is easy: Shure M97xE. Do NOT buy an Ortofon! Very nice carts, yes, but they will NOT be less bright. If you want to mellow it out - buy the Shure.