Posts by andye

Sorry, pioneer76, for missing your post.  I was subscribed to this thread, but Gmail didn't mark the emails as priority.  It was just dumb luck I saw the email for NewYears1978's post.   I did end up getting the E7, and I liked it quite a bit with the HD 280s.  But the HD 280s got a bit damaged over the summer (the padding started falling apart on the ear cups and the headband), and I decided that was a reasonable excuse for an upgrade.  Now I'm using AKG K702...
Thanks for the quick reply.  I think I'll purchase the E7 first, and maybe the E9 down the road if I need it.   Thanks for the help.
It's good to know that the cheapest option is a decent one, but now I'm confused about a few new things.  I thought that if I don't have a separate DAC, then the conversion is happening inside the computer (via the onboard audio chipset).  If I buy the E7, I would be connecting the headphone output of the netbook to the input of the E7, right?  So won't the audio signal already have been converted (and amplified, for that matter) inside the netbook before it gets to the...
I'm sort of new to audio gear.  I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros that I've had for several years, and I like them a lot.  Lately I've been looking (not very seriously, for money reasons) at some higher end headphones.  I don't think I'm ready to drop $300 on, e.g., HD 600s (that's just a random example, I don't know if/how much these are better than my HD 280 Pros).  But as I've been reading things about higher end headphones, I keep seeing amps and DACs mentioned...